MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bampa59

Number of posts : 5
Location / Country : Minnesota, USA
Registration date : 2021-06-09

Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Empty
PostSubject: Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special"   Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2021 8:15 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post. Please note I am not a model gun collector. However, I am a longtime, serious collector of militaria and recently bought a large portion of a deceased man's collection from his estate. The collector had been a flight engineer for a major airline based out of the Minneapolis, Minnesota, area in the USA. He had traveled the world collecting a variety of interesting military and firearms-related materials.  

Among the many items I purchased was the "Rocken Fast Draw Special Cal .45 Blank" model gun. Inside one chamber of the model gun was a tiny handwritten note from the collector saying: "Only six of these revolvers were made by Mutobe in Tokyo." The other chambers had five brass cartridges. The chamber note and wording on the model gun gave me a beginning point for an Internet search. I found some information on Noboru Mutobe, Rocken, Nakata, etc., and my internet search also led me to this forum. I had no idea how involved the world of model gun collecting is!

Anyway, I found few references to this particular model gun, but it appears from my limited information that the model gun may be of interest to collectors and might have some decent value. For example, I found one reference to the model in a 2011 post on the for-sale forum of this website that advertised the model as the "holy grail" of model guns. The selling price was listed at $1,200, but I don't know what it actually sold for.

I would appreciate any information any of you might have on this model gun — production details, value, etc. As I wrote earlier, I'm a complete novice with this particular stuff. Below are several photos. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken17
Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken18
Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken16

Last edited by Bampa59 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:05 am; edited 2 times in total

MadMike, Browning, broomie and SunHill999 like this post

Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special"   Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

It certainly looks an interesting model by Nakata. I'm not a revolver expert but I'd expect somebody will be along shortly with hopefully some information.

8ace

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bampa59

PostSubject: More photos....   Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 12:54 am

The model gun appears to be made of solid brass. The finish is still very good on all metal and on the grips. Here are more photos:

Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken21
Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken20
Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken19

Last edited by Bampa59 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

broomie likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bampa59

PostSubject: Yet more photos....   Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 12:57 am

Here are some photos of the five brass cartridges that were in the model gun. The sixth chamber had the tiny handwritten note, pictured below:

Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken22
Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken23
Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken24

broomie, SunHill999 and oozlum like this post

Back to top Go down
Bampa59

PostSubject: One last photo....   Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 1:01 am

This is a photo of how the collector had the model gun displayed on a wall. I have smudged out his name that is etched on the brass plaque. The .45 cartridge on the plaque does not appear to be the same as the five brass cartridges that were in the cylinder.

Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Rocken25

Browning, broomie and oozlum like this post

Back to top Go down
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 92
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2014-04-13

PostSubject: Rocken Fast Draw Special   Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2021 8:54 am

Hi,
I saw the same on GunBroker some 10 possibly 12 yrs ago. Sadly the seller didn't ship internationally hence I was prevented from bidding on the auction.
I don't know if it's made of brass or just gold-plated, if it's brass it should polish up easily. However, if it's made of Zymac & gold-plated then you might just devalue it by polishing it as the gold-plating will just come off. I would suggest polishing a small area that is not exposed to the naked eye, i.e. the area where the trigger-guard is mated to the underside of the frame or the underside of the ejector tube.
If my recollection of the GunBroker is correct, your replica is indeed quite rare as yours is only the second one I have come across. As for its price, the same piece -some 10 or 12 yrs ago - was definitely quite pricy but it was also in mint condition. I think was under 1K then but one has to take into account the passage of time.
The wall-plaque is obviously aftermarket and was specially made for the last owner thus the dummy cartridge on display differs from the ones designed for the cylinder chambers.
All the best,
Broomie

SunHill999 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bampa59

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special"   Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 8:12 am

broomie wrote:
Hi,
I saw the same on GunBroker some 10 possibly 12 yrs ago. Sadly the seller didn't ship internationally hence I was prevented from bidding on the auction.
I don't know if it's made of brass or just gold-plated, if it's brass it should polish up easily. However, if it's made of Zymac & gold-plated then you might just devalue it by polishing it as the gold-plating will just come off. I would suggest polishing a small area that is not exposed to the naked eye, i.e. the area where the trigger-guard is mated to the underside of the frame or the underside of the ejector tube.
If my recollection of the GunBroker is correct, your replica is indeed quite rare as yours is only the second one I have come across. As for its price, the same piece -some 10 or 12 yrs ago - was definitely quite pricy but it was also in mint condition. I think was under 1K then but one has to take into account the passage of time.
The wall-plaque is obviously aftermarket and was specially made for the last owner thus the dummy cartridge on display differs from the ones designed for the cylinder chambers.
All the best,
Broomie

Thanks much for the reply. The model gun is definitely brass, and it's quite heavy. It's amazing how it replicates the action of an actual firearm. Overall, I think it's in very good condition but not mint — it was, after all, sitting out on that plaque mounted on the collector's wall for many, many years. And I think it must be missing one cartridge; I assume it came with six originally.

Although I appreciate the tip regarding polishing, I don't plan to mess with it. However, I would like to sell it if possible, which is why I have been trying to get some idea of its value. Also, I know it would likely sell better to a collector outside of the U.S., but I've never shipped internationally. I don't know what sort of safe and secure process would work in such a transaction. I've bought and sold within the U.S. via Gunbroker, eBay, etc., but that's it.

Before I started researching the model gun a bit, I had planned to take it to a gun show and see if I could get $50 for it. I'm now assuming it's worth a little more than that! Anyway, if anyone has any interest in it or tips for me on shipping internationally, I'm all ears.

Thanks again....

broomie and SunHill999 like this post

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special"   Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 10:46 pm

Rocken is a very rare find!

This was basically a one-man company by a leading modelgun designer who hand-made them in very low numbers.
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t1968-rokken-rocken

I've seen his models fetch high hundreds of USD on Japanese auctions in the past.
No idea how much it would be worth now, and outside of Japan, hopefully this can be preserved as a rarity and not "just a Colt model".

Shipping is complicated those days indeed. It used to be easier to import from Japan (considered a "safe" country) than from USA (where everything could be considered a gun just to be on a safe side). A metal model with open barrel makes it more complicated.
Sadly COVID impact made it even harder (huge delays in transit and in Customs).
I was willing to accept the import hassles as long as the sender tackled the export requirements and included agreed paperwork, but I have not done that in loong time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special"   Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help with a Noboru Mutobe "Rocken Fast Draw Special"
Page 1 of 1