MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'

Go down 
+2
claymore
thefudds
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thefudds

Number of posts : 59
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2011-10-05

1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Empty
PostSubject: 1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'   1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2021 3:21 pm

In the 1962 film ‘Dr. No’ we are exposed, for the first time, what would become a franchise lasting nearly 60 years…that of that gentleman spy, James Bond.

In the film, Bond’s carry gun, the 1934 Beretta, is taken away from him and replaced with a Walther PPK.

1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_10
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_11

Throughout the film, however, a lot of continuity errors can be spotted such as Bond’s PPK is, in fact a Walther PP.

1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_12

In fact, at one point, they even substituted a 1911 when he’s shooting at a mechanized Dragon Tank. If you look closely, you’ll see that the pistol has a malfunction in that one of the cartridges ‘stovepipes’ the slide open…but we continue hearing it fire. It then ‘Magically’ turns back into the Walther PP.

1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_14
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_13
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_15

In one of the scenes, Bond sets trap for one of the villains. Bond prepares for the encounter by screwing on a suppressor unto a 1910 Belgium Browning semi-auto pistol.

1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_16
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_18
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_17
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_19

I recently did a restoration project for someone on a set of ‘The Man from U.N.C.L.E. pistols and accessories.

(See the following link: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t5569-the-man-from-uncle )
The person who purchased the U.N.C.L.E. pistols from EBay, for a mere $75.00 (I know…I hate him too!) had, as part of the sale, an MGC replica of the 1910 Browning.

I restored it as well and, luckily, it was in pretty good shape.

I disassembled the entire model and sanded the finish down to the bare metal then painted the parts with Krylon flat black spray paint. I gave it a metallic finish by scraping a Graphite art pencil with an Exacto knife until I had a small amount of powder. I then rubbed it all over the model and sealed it by spraying it with a clear coat of lacquer.

1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_22
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_21
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_20
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_24
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_23
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_25
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_28
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_27
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_26

Next step is having a friend machine a dummy suppressor to complete the look of the gun used on screen.

I’ll post that image once I get the part.

Hope you enjoyed this and the UNCLE pistol restoration article. Should anyone need to have their replicas restored, drop me at e-mail at: thefudds@aol.com
Ed

claymore, Pydracor, lampwick, Browning, SunHill999 and Sidswoorch like this post

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'   1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2021 4:04 pm

Brilliant mate, excellent work. Thank god they changed to the walther, i know the Walther is still a small gun but at least it looks the part, that 1910 does not, even though i know a lot like it. The silencer will be a geat addition.
Another great Ebay find, unfortunatly in the UK Ebay wont allow any type of replica to be sold including airsoft so we miss out on a lot.
Back to top Go down
richie328

Number of posts : 70
Location / Country : Western NY, USA
Registration date : 2013-01-23

PostSubject: Re: 1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'   1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2021 4:10 pm

Excellent presentation! I haven't watched the early Bond movies since the 60's. I didn't realize there were so many discrepancies!   1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' 1f606
Back to top Go down
thefudds

Number of posts : 59
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2011-10-05

PostSubject: Re: 1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'   1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2021 9:32 am

Just a quick update:

In preparation in having a machined replica suppressor made, I did a quick mock- up so I could get proper dimensions.

The tube is simply a plastic tube I had laying around but the perfect diameter to use as a stand-in awaiting the real part.

Because the replica has an insert inside the barrel, I had to make an adapter that will fit inside around the insert.

I used a brass tube the same diameter as the barrel opening. The portion that slides down the barrel had to be cut in half to go past the insert. The other solid half of the brass tube fits inside the plastic ‘stand-in’ suppressor.

Stay tuned. More to come in the future. May be awhile as I wait for the suppressor part.
Ed

1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_29
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_31
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_30
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_34
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_32
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_33
1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Dr_no_35

Pydracor, Browning, richie328 and Warspite like this post

Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

Number of posts : 165
Location / Country : Sweden.
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: 1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'   1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 2:11 pm

I am a big fan of the 1910 so this is wonderful to see! Really great work ! Smile
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: 1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'   1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 12:52 pm

I am a big fan of skilled people who restore things back to life =)

Walther is iconic, but 1910 today looks quite distinct to the well-known guns.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'   1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2021 1:15 am

I love it -

"You've had your six..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'   1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1910 Browning restoration as used by James Bond in 'Dr. No'
Page 1 of 1