MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC MP40 Barrel Modification

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Empty
PostSubject: MGC MP40 Barrel Modification   MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 6:50 pm

Post by Mark

MGC made a beautiful MP40 modelgun from 1968~1977 which is a highly sought after collectors item and re-enactment tool today it looks the part and it feels just right with the weight etc. They are hard to find and they cost far more today than when they where produced.

The MGC "68" was constructed using stamped steel parts just like the original MP40. However, while MGC did a superb job on the "MGC 68" MP40, they still didn't get all of the details correct. Details like the muzzle nut (pressed-on not threaded-on) muzzle, Fake thin easilly lost/broken snap-on resting bar,too large front sight blade etc.

In the 1980's, Marushin released their excellent MP40 that had all sorts of great details that the MGC version unfortunately lacked. Marushin had made up for their earlier badly detailed, cast zinc MP40 with this version with the sole exception of casting it out of ABS. I noticed, while toying with my old factory assembled Marushin, that the front sight housing was removable from the barrel assy, as well as that the other parts where well made.

So, I decided to take the Marushin barrel components off, machine my spare MGC barrel down to accept the very-close to original Marushin parts. Using the spare MGC barrel was important as the chance of destroying the barrel was great by mis-machining. The MGC

I then started with the late MGC (spare) semi-stripped, un-serial numbered, zinc alloy barrel that had been abused by a person that was obliously trying to remove the plastic resting bar by drilling out the fake cast-in "pin"!

Starting my MGC/Marushin barrel project, I cut/ground/lathed off the oversized front sight base and proceeded to machine the barrel to accept the excellent Marushin MP40 parts.

Anyway, I will try to caption each picture with the details of the conversion process. With out further adoo MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_smile Here are the pictures!

The first picture is the late abused barrel as I received it with the badly offset drilled hole in the lower part of the front sight base.
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel009
The oversized front sight, cut off of the incorrect front sight base.
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel013
The front sight base was ground down to help the lathe out a bit.
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel017
Then, I turned down the old cast-in MGC front sight base to the ABS Marushin barrels dimensions in the front sight base area.
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel019
Here is a trial fit of the "new" Marushin front sight assy. As you can see, the old cast-in resting bar is still there.
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel022
Removing the cast-in resting bar was a chore as the barrel is tapered and posed a problem of how to remove it.
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel024
Even though the picture is a bit "fuzzy" you can see that the cast-in resting bar is disappearing fast!
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel025
Here, a comparison of the machined-down MGC with the Marushin barrel/front sight housing a long way to go!
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel031
Machining the resting bars rear clearance cut fun! MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_smile
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel032
The resting bar clearance cut comparison MGC/Marushin.,
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel035
Milling the front sight base flat to clear the bottom of the sight.
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel040
There progress! MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_smile Now that the main part of the barrel is cleaned up, I need to thread the muzzle. After that, I had to press the front sight housing on. Just like the original MP40.
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel043
A glimpse of the Marushin barrel at the top, here are all three of the barrels.
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel053
Ah, incorrect details GONE! and my original MGC barrel at the bottom. For later use? Hmm... MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_smile
MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Miscmgcmp40barrel056

It was a "fun" experiance and the MGC looks far better and is by far more detailed that it was originally.. I have also changed other details on my "project' MGC other than the barrel. I will post pictures of it when I am done with it. MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_smile

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms

Last edited by mark on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

fjs62 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40 Barrel Modification   MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 6:51 pm

Post by kickback

Well Mark what can I say,An excellent job profesionally executed I only wished i had the skill.

That barell looks 10 times better now,only problem is you are going to get lots of people wanting you to do the mods for them too...I'm first!! MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_lol

Great job

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40 Barrel Modification   MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Post by Claymore

What a fantastic job, i really am envious of the skill you have mark, that barrel looks the nuts, you sure you dont want to go into the business of modelgun spares and custom work, i could keep you busy for years
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40 Barrel Modification   MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Post by figaro

Nicely done, the new barrel does look very effective.

Well done!
fjs62

Number of posts : 10
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2019-08-21

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40 Barrel Modification   MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2024 2:21 am

Another excellent mod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC MP40 Barrel Modification   MGC MP40 Barrel Modification Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC MP40 Barrel Modification
Page 1 of 1