MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Empty
PostSubject: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:14 am

Post by Phobus

I just received my full - metal M 712 off Francky .
What a modelgun !!

Amazing piece of kit and I must admit , I was not disappointed except in one respect , the barrel .

Other replicas I have at least make the pretence of having a bore by putting the blockage deep into the barrel .

The Mauser has what looks like a solid barrel with no real bore at all .
I realise that the breach area is required to house the cartridge detonator but there is a lot of barrel available to drill surely ?

I am already considering having a go at drilling into the muzzle to create the impression of a " real " gun barrel - only maybe a couple of inches or so .

I was wondering if anyone has any advice / experience of similar mods before I cut into my brand new gun ?? Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_eek

Any advice greatfully received guys .

Regards Carl.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:15 am

Post by Mark

Carl,

There has been a few discussions on the blockage in the all metal barrels so far. The problem is that the Japanese when they cast the barrel they placed a high carbon steel rod in the mold. This bar can be as long as the entire blockage and the fact that it has pointed ends to prevent drilling. I know, what you want is to make the M712 look more realistic nothing else. But, the problem is not only do you run the risk of being accused of trying to convert your modelgun into a firearm you also run the risk of destroying the barrel. My suggestion is to use black paint inside the muzzle. I know, it sounds bad but, that was my only solution on my Kokusai M29 and it looks good...

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:16 am

Post by MadMike

I go with that! A friend of mine tried omething similar using a lathe, but the barrel got damaged badly although he is skilled. Needless to say that the result will be even worse using a do-it-yourselfer drill ... These barrels are designed to prevent drilling.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:16 am

Post by Phobus

Thanks Mark / Mike .

I don,t think I could have brought myself to attempt it anyway . The gun is so pretty , I hate to think what I would have done to it with the limited tools I have to hand .

Of course , I had no sinister intentions . Merely wanting to improve the realism of the piece . I can see how that could be easily misinterpreted .

The Mauser is an incredible replica - so realistic in every other aspect .
I just thought the muzzle let the rest down .... ah well. Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_cry

Next I want a stripper clip of inert rounds ( proving VERY diificult to locate so far ) and an Aluminium pistol case ( ditto )

Thanks for the advise guys .

Carl.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:17 am

Post by Mark

Ah yes, the Mauser stripper clips. They are usually somewhat hard to locate for whatever reason. I bought my two Marushin made stripper clips two years ago along with a 20 round magazine. The clips are interesting to use to say the least! As they don't strip the cartridges into the magazine as smooth as I imagined. The cartridges stick and try to go in at funny angles until you force them in. I suppose that it's mostly due to the fact that there might be some burrs on the stripper clips causing the problems.

I have wanted (or intended) to buy the shoulder stock as well as an all metal M712 to replace my ABS (kit version) as I think that it would be interesting to watch the bolt reciprocate inches away from your face while firing....

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:18 am

Post by Phobus

Thanks MARK,

I just saw the sticky at the top of the page re : barrel blockage in zinc guns .

DOH Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_rolleyes !!!!!

How could I have missed that ?? Sorry guys - I should do my research before posting .

Still if anyone can help with the stripper clip / Aluminium case ??

Thanks CARL. Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_wink
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:18 am

Hiya,

I bought a couple of stripper clips from Francky awhile ago, he could be worth a try?

I never realised the all metal M712 had a completely closed muzzle, that is dissapointing. MyABS version had a red/orange plug but thankfully it ground away nicely with a Dremmel. It vents smoke out nicely too.

I would really like a wooden shoulder stock / holster but they are so expensive (too expensive unfortuately).
Somewhere amongst the postings onthe Mauser is a photo of one members' M712 in a wooden case with compartments for everything (stock, cleaning kit etc). That looked really nice and personally I'd prefer that to aluminium as it suits the period better
I've seen the cases on e-Bay.com but theyain't cheap either.

Just a thought.. I remember seeing Aluminium cases in WH Smiths just before Christmas. Meant fr secure filing buteasily converted maybe?

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:19 am

Post by shazhib

Phobus,

I totally understand your feeling.
If Marushin M712 can have hollowed barrel with black outfit here in Japan, I would dance around imperial palace in nakid. It could be so nice.

Regarding drilling the barrel, as many forum member mentioned, that is the last thing you want to do on zinc alloy modelguns. In a past, I heard many Yakuza (gangs) tried to drill out the barrel of zinc modelgun, seems it all failed. What they did instead is, just chopped off the barrel and attach a steel pipe.

You want to avoid drilling the barrel not only M712 but also any other zinc models. If you want to have more real look, maybe you can try a cylinder on ABS/HW revolver.

Regards,
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:28 am

Post by Phobus

Thanks Guys ,

Cerwyn , the Mauser has a sort of bore . A photo would explain things better than I could describe but that will have to be another day .

There is a recess of maybe 7-8 mms with even a bit of fake rifling . The plug or solid bore starts from there and has a flat face - no point .

That was why I was tempted to drill because it looked like a solid base to begin drilling from .

I guess the rod is recessed under the zinc .

Mark said to try a black paint on this recess which I will probably do .

I also agree that an Aluminium case may be incongruous with this pistol but it looks strangely modern to me anyway in the bizarre gold colour it comes with as standard - I think bright nickel would look miles better .

I have been trying Deac dealers for the inert rounds to complete the display .

Thanks CARL.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:33 am

Hiya Carl,

That sounds better then mate, I had this horrible impression the bore was solid right up to it's end from the first posts!
I've a pair of MGC Thompsons with metal barrels, both are plugged but it isn't clearly obvious to the eye. It's a shame not having smoke venting out but there's plenty to watch going on at the breach end to keep you amused.

Try this guy on e-Bay for inert rounds : The Bullet Outlet
I've bought off him before and was pleased with everything I got. He has had Mauser M712 inert rounds in the past.

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:36 am

Post by artemis

Hi Carl,
The Marushin M712 are indeed wonderful models. They are my favourites by a mile and I have two of them, one of which, I have blued with Beechwood Casey products. If you have the patience, you can really do a good job on the blueing. Both my pistols have the holster/stocks too. The Marushin stocks are really worth the price if you are buying off Francky and they are made of walnut.

You can buy the aluminium case(tool box) from B&Q for about £15-20 and build your own pistolcase. They come in two sizes. I bought the larger case and also foam padding which I cut to size & shape. If you want to buy the authentic baize lined guncases made by Cogswell & Harrison, you could contact CMR International, who sell them for about £250 or so IIRC. They are based in Ashford, Kent. I used to deal with them a long time ago prior to the ban Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_cry when I had a real Mauser C96 . Am sure you'll be able to find their details on the web.

Hope this helps. All the best.

Krish
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:37 am

Post by texan101

there are a lot of stripper clips on ebay there are some nice cases on ebay also but they are not cheap but look real nice you can fit everything in them.
texan101
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage   Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin Mauser M712 Barrel Blockage
Page 1 of 1