MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thompson SMG's

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

thompson - Thompson SMG's Empty
PostSubject: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:03 pm

*** Originally posted by 8ace ***

I've been looking into getting a Thompson SMG but there are a few different models out there.

CMC M1A1 £762
Hudson M1A1 £276
Tanaka M1 £566
MGC 1921 £163

Prices from Den trinity and Endoshoji

I know that the 1921, M1 and M1A1 are different models through history but is there any other reason why there is such a wide price difference (construction/quality/reliability/desirability)
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:03 pm

*** Originally posted by reemo ***

If you want it to work, MGC all the way.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:04 pm

*** Originally posted by mark ***

As far as price goes, The MGC is the best deal out there as it works very well..

However, the Hudson (M1A1),CMC, Tanaka (M1) Thompsons are extremely detailed with correct features like the last shot hold open and the spring steel "lock plate" on the side of the lower receiver un-like the MGC which deletes these cool details. And, the M1/M1A1's are by far my favorite version of the Thompson.

The Hudson Thompson is the greatest value price wise, next to the MGC version followed by the Tanaka then the CMC version.

I do believe, that Tanaka bought the CMC M1 molds when CMC went bankrupt so, they are the same gun.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:04 pm

*** Originally posted by 8ace***

I collect WW2 ordinance and the 1921 model wasn't used in WW2

So the Hudson M1A1 it is then
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:05 pm

*** Originally posted by shazhib ***

I think, it is depend on what you are looking for. If you are expecting good firing action, then, 1) MGC 2) Hudson 3) CMC(Tanaka). But, if you are expecting more detail, realness, then, 1) CMC(Tanaka) 2) Hudson 3) MGC. I own MGC thompson by myself, it fires really good. I have both drum and box magazine, as well as military and Chicago type foregrip. MGC only offers 2 kinds of apperance. As Mark mentioned, Tanaka one is technically the same with that of CMC. Tanaka uses CMC mold, and re-produced. Here is the site you can see firing movie of both MGC and CMC. Hope it helps.
http://www.modelguns.co.uk/index.htm
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Quote :
I collect WW2 ordinance and the 1921 model wasn't used in WW2

So the Hudson M1A1 it is then

It absolutely was used in WW2. Any and all versions of the Thompson, can be seen used in WW2 photos/film. I have a great photo here on my desk with a Marine firing an early top-cocker into the jungle bush on a Pacific Island.

Hell, early model Thompsons were still used in Vietnam.

Hudson is a paperweight - worst Thompson model I have owned (I have had the MGC early and late, Tanaka, and the Hudson). Just my 2 bits.

Last edited by 8ace on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:06 pm

*** Originally posted by claymore ***

My Hudson is pretty crap at the moment but it is like the Marushin M16 it needs tweaking and then it will work great, i am still trying to sort mine, its ejection problems at the moment.
MGC is still the best for firing in my opinion
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:07 pm

My Hudson didnt work at all. But aside from not working properly, it was the wood that killed it for me. LOUSY, cheap Beech wood that was so ugly and unrealistic. Grain was hideous, color was way off from any Thompson stock I ever saw......My MGC's have real walnut stocks (old versions).
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:07 pm

*** Originally posted by ww2man1941 ***

Quote :
it was the wood that killed it for me. LOUSY, cheap Beech wood that was so ugly and unrealistic. Grain was hideous, color was way off from any Thompson stock I ever saw......

I agree. I relpaced the wood on my hudson with original thompson walnut "furniture". The difference is like night and day. Still the functionality of mine was poor. I had to replace the detonator, bolt, and the extractor before I could get it to fire without jamming every other shot. Now it works like a champ.

Daniel
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

*** Originally posted by mark ***

I really don't think that Hudson uses Beechwood it's some other wood that I cannot identify at this time. While I agree that the wood doesn't look very good and it certainally isn't walnut, but, it is certainally better than the use of plastic..I had to sand the pistol grip on my Hudson as the contours where all off and it felt more like a block of wood than a pistol grip. However, the Hudson Thompson is still the cheapest of the M1/M1A1 modelguns and I will put up with the bad looking stock/forearm/pistol grip and other "problems" just to have one.

Besides, the real M1/M1A1's where fairly ugly when they where issued and the military didn't care what the wood looked like..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:08 pm

*** Originally posted by garyforce ***

Hi Mark

Its either beech or cheap Mahogany.

Airsoft manufacturers in HK call that wood Beech. And I would say it probably is.

My son plays drums and has a YAMAHA set made in Japan - its the "Beech Custom" model - wood grain is the same, very irregular.

Does the real wood fit right on the Hudson without fitting? I would imagine that would be the ticket.

Any photos guys? Would love to see your M1's.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:08 pm

*** Originally posted by garyforce ***

hi 8ace

Get an MGC thompson and ask francky to get it for you
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

*** Originally posted by 8ace ***

I'm one step ahead

I have been in contact with francky and he has got me a good price, but it is for a Hudson.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thompson SMG's   thompson - Thompson SMG's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thompson SMG's
Page 1 of 1