MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hobby Fix M4A1

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:16 am

Post by MadMike

I didn't want to open a new thread and start getting on everybody's nerves, but does anyone know what different AR-15s/M-16s Hobby Fix has made over the years? I have seen pictures of a M16A1 and a XM177E2 (M629), similar to the models Marushin is still offering as kit. And there is a M16A4 with removable carry handle and the M4A1 as latest versions. Any help such as pictures, details, weight, material and production date and numbers made would be highly appreciated.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:17 am

Post by lampwick

How are these model guns any more interesting than the MGC CAR15 that I was practically giving away back in the 'good old days'? They look nearly the same and are both full metal.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:18 am

Post by MadMike

Well the HobbyFix is a very detailed model of the real M16/M4, including markings and internals like trigger group and bolt (I'd say the only thing missing is the firing pin). And it was produced in very small numbers.

The early MGC CAR-15 is a nice model, very solid and heavy, but not as well detailed, especially when it comes to the internals which hardly resemble the real AR-15 mechanism.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:18 am

Post by lampwick

Well.. That's me told!! Thanks Markus. Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:19 am

Post by Doc

yep the metal CAR 15 is nice feeling gun but has naff all internally that is even similar to a real one .

Hobby Fix are for the pure collector interested in detail (and having empty wallets )

DOC

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:20 am

Post by Spencerman

Or for the criminally intent on converting it back into a real functioning firearm capable of destroying small houses and countries with single bursts of fully automatic fire, shooting around 900 bullets per second! Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_twisted

Only kidding. Basically, in a nutshell the hobbyfix version model guns are the wet dream of any model gun collector, but they are soooo dear that they generally remain a fantasy for most, except those with loads of money, like Hugh Heffner.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:20 am

Post by BRMoore

Spencerman wrote:
into a real functioning firearm capable of destroying small houses and countries with single bursts of fully automatic fire, shooting around 900 bullets per second! Twisted Evil
That must be the M4 which takes the 30round mortar mag

SunHill999 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:21 am

Post by MadMike

Well I really tried but can't get those Hobby fix models out of my head. I was wondering which AR-15 versions they were offering over the years. I know that they also offered some high quality gas powered Airsoft weapons at the beginning.

I think the (dummy) AR-15 modelguns they offered are:

M16A1

XM177E2 (11,5 inch barrel)

M16A4 (detachable carryhandle)

M4A1 (detachable carryhandle - 14,5 inch barrel).

Here are some pics from a Yahoo auction. I really love the XM177E2 or M4A1.

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 HFXM177-1

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 HFXM177-2

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 HFXM177E22

Look at this beauty!

So if anyone knows more, has pictures, knows someone whom I could ask, please let me know.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:22 am

Post by Mark

Interesting Madmike, that M16 sure looks like the Kokusai "hybrid" modelgun/airsoft M26's. Perhaps Hobby Fix designed and offered them first, then due to some unknown reasons dropped them from production. Then, Kokusai stepped in to offer them.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 10:22 am

Here are some more detail pictures of the HF XM177E2 (Model 629). I found them on the web months ago.

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Hf-xm-4

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Hf-xm-8

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Hf-xm-10

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Hf-xm-12

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Hf-xm-13

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Hf-xm-18

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Hf-xm-25

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 am

Looks like this model even has a full metal stock. The stock on the first carbines was vinyl coated aluminum, as far as I know.

You can see the model is very realistic. Only the "HF SMG" markings do not fit the original. But that would not bother me at all. I am quite sure that the "Commando" marking is wrong. The early XM177E1 (M609) (10 inch barrel, standard A1 handguard retaining ring) was marked Commando, but the later XM177E2 (M629) was marked "XM177E2". I got those information from a forum dealing with real retro AR-15 rifles and carbines.
Anyway the markings do not bother me as troops in the field swapped lower and upper receivers from time to time.

Back to top Go down
Spencer-Man
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
Spencer-Man

Number of posts : 46
Location / Country : Brighton, England
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 5:24 pm

So when are you getting one Markus??? santa I would really love one of those M4s or the XM177E2, even if they dont fire pfc, as they are just so sweet, shame that they are so expensive and I cannot afford that. Sad
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Well, Spence, it is still on top of my wish list. Anyway they are very rare, even in Japan. I tried to get more information directly from HobbyFix. I got kind replys to my first 2 mails, although they were in English. I know there were two production runs of the M4A1, but mumbers are very limited. I know that the HF guns take real magazines too. But I could not get any pictures or detailed information. Sadly e-mail traffic petered out and I got no further replies. I could not find out if a re-production is planned, but I do not think so. It is sad.
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 8:36 am

Of course they have individual serial numbers on the receiver and the box.

Nice to see that it starts with "W", like the real military U.S. Govt. Issue Colt M4A1 ...

See the pictures:

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Hobbyfixbox

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Hobbyfixmr0147-6

If memory serves me this particular model was for sale on the UNCLE website in Japan and sold quick for a high price ...

Last edited by MadMike on Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 8:47 am

https://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/1124/?action=view&current=hfxm16mov2.flv

https://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/1124/?action=view&current=hfxm16mov3.flv

I know, not very spectacular, but the fact alone that it is a HF M4A1 made me post it. These clips are a few years old. I got them from Mark who found them on the internet. Anyway I think they should be here.
Back to top Go down
Spencer-Man
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
Spencer-Man

Number of posts : 46
Location / Country : Brighton, England
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 2:49 pm

Could someone explain to me (MadMike) why all M16 variants have 'Property Of U.S. Govt.' stamped on the side? Surely other armed forces must have at some point used the M16, and what if they did without permission anyway, guerillas for example, they are not exactly going to say 'oi, you cant use that, it isnt yours, give it back'. That is something that has often baffled me, along with the one that Beretta put on the side of the 92FS and H&K put on the trigger guard of the USP, 'Read Manual Before Use'. The only time anyone ever reads a manual is when something goes wrong, or you cant figure out how to make it work by yourself. I would also like to know what markings apart from the safe semi and auto ones the M4 should have on the right hand side of the reciever? I have often wondered about engravings/trademarks on guns, and personally I like them. I found nothing more distracting when I got a G36 as a wall hanger, and it had Electric Air Gun stamped on the side. I had to buy another body without that on just because it bugged me so much, and yet still it is not right as I know that that should have a stamping on the right also (although I am not sure what it is). I can live with the slight differences however, and think that Hudson did a grand job on the Tommy gun (even if it doesnt work) by changing the logo the way that they did. That was good. I dont like MGCs attempt because it has Model Gun Corporation all down the side. Anyway, I am detracting slightly onto the subject of trademarks in general, and not of the M4, which is what I was curious about. Also, shouldnt it have a marking on the front sight blade stating the twist of the barrel rifleing or something as well?

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 4:49 pm

Well, only the ones ordered by the U.S. Govt. have that stamp. If foreign governments order their weapons directly, they do not have this stamp. I can remember Bushmaster M4A1 carbines Georgia ordered for their special forces. These had civilian XM15-E2S Bushmaster markings although these were 14,5 inch selective fire M4A1 style carbines. A lot of those Bushmasters ended up in Russian armouries together with Israeli Negev Machineguns or were burnt and destroyed in the last August war. A real shame and waste of good guns ...

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Georgia_bushmasters2

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Georgia_bushmasters1

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Bushmaster-3

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2018 7:19 am

I want to add some pics to this very old thread about Hobby Fix an their M16 series.

Well, it is almost ten years now, and a lot of time has passed and a lot of things have changed, but some are still the same.

I recently remembered the HF XM177E2 and I realized how much I like it, but these are very rare. They show up from time to time but are sold for a high price.

Here are some pictures collected on the internet:

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 93gKmTA

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 JXQPWVT

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 9rEjt54

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 VdzTlWY

Judging from the pics I have seen the model does not have individual serial # like the later M4A1 and M16A4 models, which is sad.

The stock seems to be full metal like the real one that was used on the early M16 carbine variants.

I heard the model was made in 1993 in limited numbers below 100 pieces.

It can use real magazines, so it can be seen with the HF supplied 30 rd as well as 20 rd magazine.

Finsih seems to be grey, a little lighter than the dark grey HF used on their later M4A1 and M16A4.

I noticed HF also placed the Colt proof stamps on the upper receiver, right behind the barrel nut/delta ring. I love this great detail.

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 AmfAPmN

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 5Af3kqH

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 B6NZCQr

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 TWQCxQt

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 VCUhZLX

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Wa9zANP

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 HaNLygx

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 TgKnyZx

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 15wdbp2

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Tw2uQ3G

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 5dRz32h

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 QFsHkoL

I hope you enjoy the pics.

Filsolo likes this post

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Fix M4A1   Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2022 11:20 am

The HobbyFix XM177E2 is a very interesting model. It seems to be the one of their AR-15 series (M16A1, XM177E2, M4A1 and M16A4) that was made in the smallest number, approx 130 in 1993.

As I have learnt now it is inferior to their 1999/2000 M4A1 and 2001 M16A4 model in some respects:

- no individual serial #

- "HF SMG" additional markings

- buffer is looking realistic (early carbine buffers were round and black) but is made from plastic, not metal

- stock is looking realistic and feeling okay, but is also not metal but plastic. It seems that HobbyFix used an aftermarket part that was available in the USA in the early 1990s

- dummy firing pin is less realistic than the one they used in their later models

- grenade ring behind the moderator is installed backwards (of course this can be cured easily)

- the shape of the moderator is not 100 % correct as it is just shaped like a tube. It is also made from zinc and too light.

HF didn't design the selector switch with all their AR-15 models properly so it won't click into the middle SEMI position. This has annoyed collectors over the years so some have installed a modified real selector to cure the problem.

Other than that, it is a great model. The drak grey finish HF made is very realistic looking. Sadly it tends to get flaws over the years.

After almost 30 years it seems impossible to get a full set that came with five dummy carts, a 30 rd magazine and a simple instruction sheet in very good condition.

XM177E2 bolt assy:

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 SHO8Ko9

M4A1 and M16A4 bolt assy:

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 Dmjaj4T

Grenade ring backwards:

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 LIOEXeQ

"SMG HF" additional markings:

Hobby Fix M4A1 - Page 2 TNwBi0U

Cerwyn, Browning, SunHill999 and Filsolo like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content