MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible? Empty
PostSubject: MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?   MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:24 pm

*** Originally posted by bruchko ***

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the modelgun hobby, but I'm very eager to learn. My first modelgun was the mgc m4 and a few mgc berettas. I want to remove the original m4 barrel to replace it with another one to give it the sniper look, the one without the front sights.(a few movies showed it being use, such as Leon the Professional in the sniping scene.) I also want to replace the orignal fore grips. So naturally, I wanted to know from the more experienced enthusiasts if it was possible to remove the original MGC barrel, without permanent damage. I do have an extensive set of tools(my dads) and I'm pretty handy with them(fix cars with my dad), so I'm not completely lost around tinkering with things. I appreciate all your time and help.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?   MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:24 pm

*** Originally posted by mark ***

Hi Bruchko and welcome to the forums!

The MGC M4's barrel can be removed by first removing the forearm. (foregrips)

To do this, pull back on the "ring" just behind the forearm. This is spring loaded and it can be a pain to operate..When you have pulled back the ring far enough, it will expose the rear plastic tang of the forearms. Pull up on the top rear section of the forearm first it will clear the gun and you can remove it from the M4. Repeat the procedure for the lower sections.

After the forearms are removed, take a small brass or plastic pin punch and remove the front sight assy pins from the bottom of the front sight "tower" the front sight tower can then be slid off the barrel. Note that the simulated "gas tube" is pinned to the front sight tower and is removed at the same time. Use the supplied allen wrench to remove the flash suppressor and the front sight tower can be removed from the barrel and set aside for other uses.

Now that the forearm/front sight tower/gas tube has been removed, take the MGC supplied funny looking cast zinc wrench that has the "bumps on it" and use this to un-screw the ridged ring that is under the forearms. This ring is fairly tight and will take some force to unscrew this ring so make sure that the supplied wrench is held tightly against the ring otherwise it will strip. With the ring removed the barrel will come out.

Actually, you really did need to know this removal procedure anyway if you ever intend to fire your new modelgun as the barrel mounted "detonator" will need to be cleaned every time that you shoot it..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?   MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:24 pm

*** Originally posted by spencerman ***

A very nice explaination Mark. I followed that all in my head and it made perfect sense to me. I was wondering, as I do not yet have an M16 variant, does the same apply to the Marushin M16/XM177-E2? I had never really given much thought to cleaning the gun itself, just the hundreds of carts!
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?   MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:25 pm

*** Originally posted by madmike ***

No, the Marushin design is different and a little simpler as there is no gas tube. The barrel parts and the front sight are screwed into each other so you just have to unscrew them to take the forearm apart.

The complicated take down of the MGC M4 is a major design fault in my eyes as this makes cleaning of the weapon, which is necessary after every firing, a pain. Further more, if done several times the barrel might start wobbling.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?   MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:25 pm

*** Originally posted by bruchko ***

Thanks a lot Mark!

Yeah, I pretty much had an idea of what I should do, but I wanted to be sure since my m4 is very very precious to me. Your detailed step by step guide was really helpful. I think the marushin barrels can be twisted off since they seem to be screwed on to the second half of the fake barrel.(namely the assembly kit versions) Hey, I do have one other question, is it true that mg caps are slightly stronger than the marusin caps? I ask because Modelgun collector's describe the mg caps to be stronger on the caps page on their sight.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Bruchko wrote:
Hey, I do have one other question, is it true that mg caps are slightly stronger than the marusin caps?

The jury is out on this question as many people think that the Marusin caps have more power than the M.G.Caps. I am under the impression that the M.G.Caps are are simply better due to their lack of sparks. There is no proof that either of the caps are any more powerful in comparison.

I think that the selection of caps is choosen by the availability and preference not cap power. I seriously doubt that the addition of the aluminum or iron powder that Marushin places in their caps for the spark effect makes the cap power any weaker compared to the M.G.Caps.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?   MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:26 pm

*** Originally posted by gavin ***

actuly from just firing them the mg caps produce more smoke and are more powerfull but the marushin caps produce more sparks
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?   MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:26 pm

Spencerman wrote:
A very nice explaination Mark. I followed that all in my head and it made perfect sense to me. I was wondering, as I do not yet have an M16 variant, does the same apply to the Marushin M16/XM177-E2? I had never really given much thought to cleaning the gun itself, just the hundreds of carts!

The only step that applies to the Marushin M16 is the handguard removal technique. The marushin barrels are threaded together in 5 spots on the XM177. The detonator is held in place in the Marushin M16 series by the screw that holds the rear section of the gas bypass plate that is located just under the handguards.

I have to say that Marushin's detonator retention system is slightly better than the MGC. As you can remove the detonator easier on the Marushin than the MGC and with far less disassembly too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?   MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC M4 Barrel removal, is it possible?
Page 1 of 1