MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ultrasonic cleaners what to get

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jakes-model-guns
Jakes-model-guns

Number of posts : 100
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Empty
PostSubject: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 4:56 pm

My deciding criteria:
- large enough to hold part that you want to clean. It would most likely be a pistol barrel. Cartridges and chambers are quite small. Check internal sizes, not external that is often given.
- power. I bought a low-power one (35W) and sometimes find it too weak to have effect. Adjustable power is better, I would go for at least 35/60W version now.
- price. Unless you plan to use it a lot, it's probably better to get a cheaper one that just does the work, rather than a more expensive model with features you would not use.

I find that some other factors (such as adjustable timer) are not needed that much. If one run does not work, I just start device again (note: after 3-4 runs water gets hot, you should swap it for cold).

Can't comment on specific models available in UK though.
Back to top Go down
Jakes-model-guns
Jakes-model-guns

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 6:18 pm

HI Smootik
Arrrr thanks thats helped i would't need to fit barrels in it but then agin stuff like an MP40 chamber would be an idea

This one i was looking at is 50W

The price does not really matter
I think on what you said i will get this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ultra-5000-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Tattoo-Pre-Steralise-/170527295489?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Tattoos_BodyArt_SM#ht_4276wt_911

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 7:11 pm

ROTFL, eBay is sometimes so hilarious:
Quote :

Unfortunately, access to this particular listing or item has been blocked due to a Paris commercial court decision that bans trade of certain authentic perfumes and cosmetic products on eBay because of French selective distribution laws. eBay is appealing this ruling but is nevertheless required to enforce it. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to comply with this court decision. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of the decision because of limitations on existing technology.

Anyway - 50W sounds good, I hope I made your choice a bit easier :-)

Forgot to mention one thing - inside chamber of cleaner is metal, and when you put a metal part there, they will slightly scratch against each other due to vibrations. As long as it's just cleaner it's not a problem, but for metal parts covered in paint or blued you might need to put a plastic sheet between them to avoid damage. I think such sheet should be included with cleaner. Sheet blocks part of power from reaching the parts - that's another reason why more power is better.

You will quickly discover what works best works by experimenting.
Back to top Go down
Jakes-model-guns
Jakes-model-guns

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 8:27 pm

HI
LOL what a joke!!!.

Yes thanks my choice as been made a lot easier!!!!

Yes their stainless steel i think this one comes with like a plastic basket that you cut all the stuff in like Cerwyns

I will only be putting brass & det pins in it.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi Jake,

You certainly not regret buying an Ultrasonic Cleaner. I wouldn't be without one now.

The first one I bought (as shown in my Cartridge Cleaning guides) finally stopped working after 4 years regular use (well worth £25 that was Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_biggrin ). I've just replaced it with a 1 litre capacity version :-

The extra capacity allows me to put over 100 stripped cartridges in at a time. This one also has a plastic basket to put all the parts in.

Ultrasonic cleaners are perfect for cleaning Detonator Chambers too so the Marushin MP40 chamber will certainly benefit from a blast in one. If you get one deep enough, you might just get your Mauser M712 upper receiver and barrel in just far enough to clean out the barrel and Det. chamber and pin

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Jakes-model-guns
Jakes-model-guns

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:59 pm

HI
I know i wont my cats are getting filthy with the vinegar and baking soda cleaning method.

I only own 29 cartridges at the mo so i don't really need all that much space.

Your new one looks nice good price aswell i've seen them for £70 odd quid.

Don't they all have plastic baskets with them??

Yes i think my Mauser could so with a good clean what with all the jams i keep on getting.

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:29 pm

£25 - £35 or so will get you a decent Ultrasonic cleaner that's ample for what you need Jake.

Vinegar + Baking Soda with hot water used in the Ultrasonic will shift dirt and deposits from parts you put in it but it doesn't polish up brass.
Brass does tarnish quickly so to keep them in top condition you need to polish them up with Brasso or similar regularly.
The outside of the cartridge will look better after a polish but it's the inside you really need to make sure is clean and smooth. Any muck or pitting inside the cartridge will stop them working properly.
Because I'll happily fire 100 - 200 cartridges in a session I bought a Lyman Tumble Polisher that brings every part of the cartridge, inside and out to a mirror finish. Paying over £70 for a polisher isn't worth it for a small quantity like 29 though.
It'll be a long and boring job mate but if the insides of your cartridges are getting dirty you'll need to find a little brush, use 2 cotton buds together, or bent pipe cleaners maybe to scrub them with Brasso.
Fine Wire Wool would buff the outsides up too.

Back to top Go down
Jakes-model-guns
Jakes-model-guns

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 8:00 pm

HI
Yes i think so!!
I was looking in to a polisher because i do like to buy inert brass and some of that is very dirty.

Also i was looking in to after getting this cleaner to get about 5 packs of 9mm carts and 3 packs Mauser carts.

I bent one of the mascara bushes in half to clean the inside.

This is the polisher i was going to get
http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Frankford_Arsenal_Case_Tumbler

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:04 am

Hi Jake,

The polisher you've seen at Opticswarehouse looks ideal. Make sure you get a bag of the cleaning compound (the review mentions Tufnut and Corn Cob) included with the polisher.

The Lyman version I bought had a bag of crushed Walnut husk compound which has been perfect. It's reusable, I'm still using the original quantity and polishes brass well

Back to top Go down
Jakes-model-guns
Jakes-model-guns

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 am

HI
Yep nice and small or so it looks from the pic.
Ok i will have a look.
How much vibrations do they make?

I will look for these walnut husks they sound good last a good few years it sounds.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 1:23 pm

The Lyman version I have is noisy when it's running. I keep it in the utility room well out of the way and behind closed doors when it's in use.
You definately wouldn't want to be in the same room for the 2 - 3 hours it needs to give brass catridges a routine polish.
Old and badly tarnished cartridges have needed 8 - 12 hrs or more to restore to an as new shine so bear that in mind Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_wink

When you order your polisher just confirm with the seller that the machine is supplied with the necessary compound or medium as it's sometimes called.
If he doesn't have the Walnut Husk type he should be able to recommend a decent medium for what you need.

Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 4:07 pm

I have just got a ultrasonic cleaner cheers which also came with this stuff

http://www.jamesproducts.co.uk/seaclean500mllarge.jpg

From here
http://www.jpl.uk.com/

A cap full (or two) in warm water can make the brass shine nicely as it removes the tarnish (just make sure it's all rinsed off as it will mess the brass up Shocked Very Happy not as good as Cerwyns tumble polisher No but an excellent upgrade from other cleaning solutions.

8ace
Back to top Go down
Jakes-model-guns
Jakes-model-guns

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:02 pm

HI
I better keep the polisher in the shed when it use then!
Ok i will ask the seller what it comes with and what i would need.

I've seen that stuff on here http://www.bestultrasonic.co.uk/ this is it http://www.bestultrasonic.co.uk/cleaning-fluid-200ml-concentrate-9-p.asp

I will have to look into that then well maybe Cerwyn will as well.

I should be ordering tommow can't wait Exclamation Exclamation Smile Smile

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:06 am

Up to now I've only used hot water and a small amount of washing up liquid in the Ultrasonic cleaner which is all it needs for routine cleaning.
Any old cartridges or barrels that have heavy build up of dirt come up well using a mix of white vinegar, bicarb of soda and hot water in the Ultrasonic.

Polishing afterwards is necessary to remove tarnishing

I'll certainly try a bottle of this seaclean solution. I'd imagine it will make cleaning inside cartridges and any difficult to reach parts even easier.
Thanks for the tip 'ace Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 am

I made good experiences using a few drops of standard wheel and rim cleaner you can buy for your car. Hot water, a few drops of this cleaner and the carts look almost like polished after they spent their time in the ultrasonic cleaner ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 12:08 pm

MadMike wrote:
I made good experiences using a few drops of standard wheel and rim cleaner you can buy for your car. Hot water, a few drops of this cleaner and the carts look almost like polished after they spent their time in the ultrasonic cleaner ...

Thanks for this suggestion 'Mike

Hints and tips like this are always welcome. You've given me an idea now that Aluminium Alloy Wheel cleaner used as you suggest should bring Hudson Aluminium AK47 cartridges up to a nice shine.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners what to get   Ultrasonic cleaners what to get Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ultrasonic cleaners what to get
Page 1 of 1