MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FG42 Type 1 Review

Go down 
+3
smootik
Cerwyn
kiwigunner
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 10:47 am

FG42 Type 1 Review Dscf0098

Finally saving my pennies and now owning a Shoei FG42 Modelgun has allowed me to do two things:
1) Get to learn "hands on" about the gun itself, and 2) learn about the Shoei family that makes replicas in Japan.

First, a brief history of the FG42 (gleaned from various sources on the Internet from Arniesoft and Wikipedia and my library books)

Origins:
At the time of the Battle of Crete (Operation Mercury), long-range rifle and machine gun fire from dug-in Commonwealth defenders (largely New Zealanders [Kiwis] from 5 Brigade's 22nd Battalion) inflicted heavy casualties upon the outgunned German paratroopers in the early stages of battle, as they attempted to retrieve their support weapons from containers scattered all over the battlefield. These early combat experiences demonstrated that standard weapons were not ideal for airborne operations.
In 1941, the German Air Force (Luftwaffe), requested a selective fire hand-held weapon for the paratroopers; Senior Staff Air Secretary Ossenbach at the GL/C Erprobungsstelle-6 was approached informally to develop this special new weapon. The proposed weapon would also simplify logistics and provide greater firepower to the individual paratrooper.

The FG 42 was a select-fire air-cooled weapon and one of the first to incorporate the "straight-line" recoil configuration.
FG42 Type 1 Review DSCF0101
This layout, combined with the side magazine, placed both the center of gravity and the position of the shoulder stock nearly in line with the longitudinal axis of the bore, a feature increasing controllability during burst or automatic fire.

The weapon system underwent continuous development, its expedited development, remedial changes to the original design and ever-changing Luftwaffe requirements resulted in myriad of variants. Post-war literature typically identifies three versions, however the Germans never recognized these as distinctive models; the "Model I", "Model II" and "Model III" were never officially referenced and period documents simply refer the weapon as the "FG 42", and the reference was always made to the latest production model.

The FG 42 (German: Fallschirmjägergewehr 42 or "paratrooper rifle 42") ultimately was used in very limited numbers until the end of the Second world War. It combined the characteristics and firepower of a light machine gun in a lightweight form no larger than the standard-issue Kar 98k bolt-action rifle. Considered one of the most advanced weapon designs of World War II, the FG 42 influenced post-war small arms development and ultimately helped to shape the modern assault rifle concept.

Last known derivatives of the FG42 were:
the Israelli Dror LMG,
FG42 Type 1 Review Drorlmg

the Swiss Sturmgewehr 52
FG42 Type 1 Review Sigsturmgewehr52

and the American M60 machine gun.
FG42 Type 1 Review M60

The weapon was first used by commandos during Operation Eiche in 1943—the bold rescue of Benito Mussolini by Fallschirmjäger led by Otto Skorzeny.

After approximately 2,000 FG42s had been produced, supplies of the manganese steel from which the receivers were forged were diverted to other needs; this meant a redesign was required to use stamped sheet metal in its place.

Field reports were also requesting minor improvements, such as: relocating the bipod from the front of the hand-guard to the muzzle to reduce shot dispersion; changing the pistol grip angle to near vertical; enlarging the hand-guard and changing the stock from stamped steel to wood to minimize overheating.

FG42 Type 1 Review 66209
These changes, particularly the pistol grip change and the bipod relocation, are clearly visible on late-model FG42s.both models also had a simple flip-out spike bayonet under the barrel hidden by the bipod, in the later version the bayonet was shortened from around 10 inches to around 6 inches.

More detailed info can be found on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FG_42

Secondly: the Shoei family that makes replica FG42’s in Japan.
SHOEI
FG42 Type 1 Review DSCF0095
The Shoei company is one of the long-standing firms in Japan. They are a family-run company that has been around since the beginning of the model gun industry all the way through to the creation of today’s airsoft industry.

The company first opened its doors back in 1967 and the Shoei family did OEM sales for the metal model company CMC when model guns were all the rage in the 1970s. Models such as the CMC Mauser Kar 98k are treasured by collectors today. Then they started to make their own products building their reputation by having some of the highest quality replica guns on the market today.

The Firearms and Swords Control law changed the model gun industry. It regulated the materials used to make the guns. Its purpose was to make sure that none of the guns could be strong enough to hold the pressure and stress generated by firing live ammunition. Model guns could be made of ABS plastics with zinc reinforcements, and the barrels needed to have solid metal plugs inserted, which upon removal would destroy the barrel. However, what many enthusiasts didn't like and what affected Shoei the most was the new changes meant that only modelguns made of plastic were allowed to be black in colour, while modelguns made of metal had to be silver or gold in colour. Shoei decided to stop producing modelguns because the plastic processing technology was out of their line, and the company withdrew from the Modelgun industry and changed to become a die maker.

Eventually in 1993, the company decided to get back into manufacturing guns again. The first gun the company made was the Fallschirmjagergewehr 42, also known as the FG42. The model gun was so well made that it has become legendary with re-enactors and collectors.

FG42 Type 1 Review Fgcompare
Their meticulous attention to detail is evident, and the craftsmanship that goes into every single piece makes their guns true collectors items. Many consider Shoei guns to be of museum quality. Shoei’s attention to detail is so precise that it would be difficult for anyone to tell the real gun from their model, until you look into its internal parts.

Shoei are able to recreate such precise work because they make it a rule to have an actual gun to copy from, whether the actual gun is available to study in Japan or whether they have to go overseas Museums in Belgium, or in Germany.
You can read more on this link: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/articles/shoei_interview/shoei_interview.htm
and here on the forum: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-history-f47/shoei-t1969.htm

From the initial planning stages to the final product, the completion time can vary. It took Shoei one and a-half years to complete the FG42 Type I, but only 6 to 8 months to complete the MP44 and MG42. It really depends on the model.

Shoei has released replica models of a number of guns: FG42/ G43/ MG42/ StG(MP)44/ Mkb42(H). I understand that they are currently considering making an all-metal MP40dummy model, then maybe a GBB bb gun???

Anyone who has seen a Shoei gun has also seen its price tag. These guns are NOT cheap, but they are worth every penny in my opinion!

I'm more than happy with my Type 1 which is able to demonstrate the action and designs the German Air Ministry requested - and now want to get a Type 2!!! The re-enactor I bought it off has managed to import a REAL FG42. Cost: NZ$12,000 Six times the price of my Shoei; 4 times the local retail price for a new Shoei!

Start saving those pennies for whatever Shoei you decide to get in future!! An MP40 would be great!
And thanks to the Shoei Family for your dedication, enthusiasm and willingness to make replica modelguns for people like me!

Thank you
ありがとう

Last edited by kiwigunner on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 1:08 pm

Thank you for your superb article covering the history of the FG42, it makes interesting and informative reading.

Shoei's replicas are meticulously detailed and very, very desireable additions to a collection. You must be justifiably really pleased to have managed to get one. Thanks for sharing it with us Wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Great post, I enjoyed going through it :-)

FG42 is one of my most favourite guns (and models) due to distinctive shape, mechanism and interesting history.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks Cerwyn & Smootik! It's a worthy modelgun/replica, and I am fortunate to get it. It is also an interesting piece of history from Europe and Asia!
Appreciate your comments: you both set high standards for posts on this forum.

KG
Back to top Go down
josh676
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 180
Location / Country : Australia
Registration date : 2012-05-14

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 6:54 am

Amazing review, why don't they have to be gold or silve in color though? What type of metal are they made of? This and the MP44 are the two I want to add to my collection.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 7:36 am

The gold requirement is Japanese law and applies nly to hand guns I believe! But Saddam Hussein had a real gold-plated AK47! affraid
What a waste!

kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 pm

josh676 wrote:
Amazing review, why don't they have to be gold or silve in color though? What type of metal are they made of? This and the MP44 are the two I want to add to my collection.
Japanese laws of 1970s made a requirement for metal model handguns (pistols/revolvers) to be golden colour (or white I think). This does not apply to long arms.
Interestingly enough somehow the tiny Hudson managed to get their Skorpion classified as long firearm and made it in black.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 7:26 am

smootik wrote:
Interestingly enough somehow the tiny Hudson managed to get their Skorpion classified as long firearm and made it in black.

I believe the folding stock is the key (just like in the US if you add a folding/collapsible stock behind a SIG 556 “PISTOL” then it'll immediately becoming a SBR and is a felony Twisted Evil ...similarily if you cut the stock away from this Skorpion in Japan then you're looking for deep deep deep trouble FG42 Type 1 Review 1498934320 )
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 618
Location / Country : Hollywood, California

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 4:12 pm

That is a terrific review and overview, nice post, thank you!

Pit.
Back to top Go down
stumpy_ned
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 87
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2012-04-21

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Nice model gun.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 618
Location / Country : Hollywood, California

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 2:25 am

Interesting looking over the Shoei first model FG and the original FG -
They really didn't get the trigger guard correct - it is just a strange piece of curved metal plate, not a big thing, as the replica is so very good and the original is sooooo very rare - but you would have have thought with so much thought going into it, they might have gone that extra inch, lol.

Pit.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 4:17 pm

This particular rifle has long been a favourite of mine. I am pleased to say that I now have one in my collection.
Christmas came slightly early this year!

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

FG42 Type 1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: FG42 Type 1 Review   FG42 Type 1 Review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FG42 Type 1 Review
Page 1 of 1