MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MP40 in film location shots

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Slugster
Slugster

Number of posts : 9
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2011-01-29

MP40 in film location shots Empty
PostSubject: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Folks
Hope this is the right place to post these - if not then sorry!
Anyway, a couple of photos from the last location recce for the new feature film "The Fort".

Thought you might like to see them.
Cheers
Doug

MP40 in film location shots Bw_for11

And one guard:

MP40 in film location shots Bw_for13

Actual shot taken from the first test footage:

MP40 in film location shots Dc_sep11

No detail shown but hope you still enjoy the pics!
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Looks good, thank you for posting these photos :-)
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 6:06 pm

...concerning the last photo, I think you might like to paint the metal insert inside the barrel in black for more realism...
Back to top Go down
Slugster
Slugster

PostSubject: Re: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 1:08 pm

jim wrote:
...concerning the last photo, I think you might like to paint the metal insert inside the barrel in black for more realism...

Thanks for this - and you have prompted a burning question! How do I age/weather the PFCs? At the moment, even in a B/W shot the 'shiny' plastic-ness can be seen. I just want to take off that shiny look to them. I will definitely paint the metal insert - is there any particular paint I should use or just a pot of airfix!?
Cheers
Doug
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Hello Slugster,

Thank you very much for your photos, it's great to see Modelguns being used like this. I don't know quite how I missed your post Embarassed , I've only just found it now.

As for painting the barrel insert, Humbrol Matt Black or something similar would be fine. All you're doing is hiding it so that should work fine.

Weathering ABS modelguns is possible with care. It depends really how far you want to go. If all you need is to take away the high gloss sheen of plastic, then a careful rub-down with fine grade emery paper, steel wool even, would do that.
There are modelling paints out here, Humbrol have a Gun Metal that would tone it down some.

Grips and Sidepanels were Bakelite, they wouldn't wear like steel so best leave them alone Wink

One tip I've picked up though... don't make the mistake of weathering the gun till it looks 60yrs old. These MP40s were relatively new when used during the War so Blued steel wouldn't wear away too much. There'll be handling marks, light scuffs here and there but nothing too drastic.
Also additinal magazines were often issued seperately from the gun so, being fresh, wouldn't have been handled as much.
Once you reach the point "that's enough" ... stop there or you'll over do it

Thanks again for your photos Very Happy

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Slugster
Slugster

PostSubject: Re: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Cerwyn wrote:
Hello Slugster,

Thank you very much for your photos, it's great to see Modelguns being used like this. I don't know quite how I missed your post Embarassed , I've only just found it now.

Many thanks Cerwyn for your post - useful info there! I have a couple of ABS PFC MP40s and a P38 so will sand down one of them as you recommend, and use some Humbrol paint - test on one before the other I think!

Another location shot:
MP40 in film location shots Mc_mp410
(ignore the trousers!!)
Casting is almost complete for the feature - when it is then there will be quite a few shots coming and there will be some snippets of video (as teasers) aswell. I will notify you of the URL when its ready.
cheers all!
Doug
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:38 am

My pleasure Doug,

There are some areas of the lower receiver hidden beneath the sideplates. You could always try gently rubbing down and painting those parts first. If you didn't like the finish it'd be hidden by the sidepanels once you put them back.

Have a look at Marushin MP40s supplied by www.Modelguncollector.co.uk for an idea how much better they look with matt black surfaces

Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 7:05 pm

I simply use black CD markers for the metal inserts as well as airsoft's brass inner barrel - and they works (most of the time) Very Happy ...
Back to top Go down
Slugster
Slugster

PostSubject: Ammo box   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Gents
One thing I would like to have in the film is a quick shot of one of the characters emptying a couple of cardboard ammo boxes into his cap and then loading one of the MP40 mags with those rounds. Anyone know if I can get repro-boxes or even originals if necessary? The rounds themselves would just be the PFC carts I have.
Even a picture would be good as then I can get someone to create a couple for me.
Thanks
Doug
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:47 am

Hello Doug,

Here's one link to a seller of suitable boxes...

http://www.oldammo.com/boxes.htm
MP40 in film location shots 9mmGerman

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MP40 in film location shots   MP40 in film location shots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MP40 in film location shots
Page 1 of 1