MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shoei FG42 US version.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Shoei FG42 US version. Empty
PostSubject: Shoei FG42 US version.   Shoei FG42 US version. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi Guys -

The US version of the Shoei FG42 - at least the one I have - has a steel insert in the chamber.
This stops it from chambering a dummy round.
Without a dummy round the mag hold open stops the action from working.
Without it being able to work the action this might as well be a fiberglass dummy gun.

I had a Thompson that had a similar steel insert removing that was pretty straight forward - does anyone have experience removing the FG42 steel chamber rod?

It has me beat - they put this crap into them for importation purposes at one time.

Pit.

Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Shoei FG42 US version.   Shoei FG42 US version. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 9:14 pm

OK - so removed front stock.
Found tiny screw - released chamber insert.

Chamber insert was filled with brass "stopper" - not steel.

Heated up over stove, and dissolved glue holding "stopper" in place.

Used a steel rod through the small end hole in the chamber to tap out "stopper."

It is a perfect 8mm dummy bullet case that has had the rim lathed of it, and then been glued into the chamber insert.

SUCCESS - not.

Unfortunately heating the chamber caused it to expand, when I went to reinsert it into the barrel it didn't fit.

What I should have done is pause and sanded down the insert until it did fit.

What I did: - I thought it would be nice and secure if I tapped the chamber insert into place with a steel tool...

...Well, I managed to bugger the chamber insert wall, and lodge it in place just enough that it cannot chamber a round and cannot come out.

So, I am back where I started - I hope this helps anyone else in this position.

I may revisit this, if I can buy a second chamber insert from Shoei or manufacture one from scratch.

I also managed to knock the ejector claw off the bolt, which isn't held in by anything but the inertia of the claw spring, I got it back together - unbroken, but, wow - robust it is not!

I do like this replica, but I will not be using on set next week as I had planned, it stays in the collection in the office, which is not really what I want, but there you go.

Pit.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Shoei FG42 US version.   Shoei FG42 US version. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 8:12 pm

I feel for you...

Check with Tomio, he might have a spare part available, although I guess import to USA would need some work.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Shoei FG42 US version.   Shoei FG42 US version. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 pm

There is no problem shipping any part into the US -

unfortunately, that is not the issue, the inner chamber is pretty much jammed in there now - except not fully in place, out by just enough to hang up the cartridge, lol.
Replacing it would be extremely difficult.

Avanti -
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shoei FG42 US version.   Shoei FG42 US version. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shoei FG42 US version.
Page 1 of 1