MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 618
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Empty
PostSubject: Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.   Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 12:39 am

Hi there -

I mainly collect real firearms - but when it comes to the hard to find examples - I still love my model gun collection.
The FG42 is an example of hard to get - at $100k+ for a transferable one, and $7K for a semi auto replica, the Shoei is an awesome option for me.

As luck would have it I found an original muzzle brake in Holland, and bought it quickly - I was a little worried until it arrived and it is for sure an original - I have handled and photographed two original second models so knew what to look for.

I figured there was no way it would fit on the Shoei - but thought I would try anyway - and wonderful things do happen - I gently - read, very gently - got it two turns on before the thread stopped knitting, at two turns the lock engages, and nothing is loose - so, I am pleased.

Here are pics!

Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Photo_zps0c878d9d
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Photo_zps10cc4b65
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Photo_zps18141fbd
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1238
Location / Country : London

PostSubject: Re: Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.   Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 9:07 am

Lovely looking model, those Shoei's are something else. Seen a few blank firing ones in WW2 reenactment not sure what they are based on possibley purpose built, take SLR mags i think, very very loud and cool as hell.
Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.   Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 10:45 am

Can you please clarify which is the original? The longer or shorter?
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.   Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 10:57 am

Hi
Dont mean to hijack thread, but since Claymore mentioned it, here is one of the Blank fire ones he mentioned, yes custom made, yes SLR mags not perfect by any means, but rare here and cool ! and also yes VERY loud !!
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Img_5910
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Img_5911
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Img_5912
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Img_5913
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Img_5914
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1238
Location / Country : London

PostSubject: Re: Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.   Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 11:47 am

I was standing right next to one when he was blatting off, loud is not descriptive enough!! one was for sale but i could not afford it at the time, pity its impressive.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.   Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 2:08 pm

The real muzzle brake is the one pictured on the gun.

The Shoei muzzle brake is finished in black paint - the real one is finished in an interesting chemical brown finish and stamped and numbered at the front - you cannot see in these pictures.

Ref. The blank firer pictured - there is an extremely well made semi-auto by SMGuns of Texas - so we don't need to make them ourselves Smile

The look of these guns are important to me as we rent them out, although sometimes we're forced to compromise - I have two M53 MG's that are configured with sights and grips to look like MG42's - they run on 7.62mm blanks which are a lot cheaper than regular 8mm - (7.92mm) - and parts are MUCH cheaper when things break, which they do.
8mm is about twice the cost of 7.62mm for me -

I am waiting for the SMGuns first model (early model FG42) that is now in development.
I like it more for my collection than the later model that they (SMGuns) started production with, but neither will ever rent out on productions, the WW2 stuff hardly ever goes out.

Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Photo_zps2631a1ec
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Photo_zps0ce670d0
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Photo_zps8a45846e
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Photo_zps07fb10e3
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Photo_zps7e155f1f
Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. IMG_1522_zps03c7d383Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Photo_zpsdd55f51d

This is some of the WW2 collection - which also includes, MG15 air-cooled, Maxim M1910, Sten, MP40, MP34, EMP35, Thompson - and all the basic bolt action rifles you need - although we have a really nice G33/40.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.   Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Hey Pitfighter
Wow, I am dribbling!! you have a fantastic collection to be proud of, thanks for the pictures ! cheers 
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.   Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 4:17 am

Now own an original Krieghoff FG42, too -

Although it took a dent out of my collection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.   Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making my Shoei FG42 just a little better.
Page 1 of 1