MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

a question for UK collectors

Go down 
+2
claymore
carpetbagger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
carpetbagger

Number of posts : 5
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2014-12-13

a question for UK collectors Empty
PostSubject: a question for UK collectors   a question for UK collectors Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 3:10 am

I would like to ask a question that is directed towards our UK compatriots on mp40modelguns.

Would you rather have real, live firing firearms or ersatz imitations of them? Just curious about the feelings of our British counterparts that's all.
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: a question for UK collectors   a question for UK collectors Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 8:38 am

Well the real thing of course and a lot of us had the real thing back in the good old days, however machine guns were never allowed and never would be so modelguns fill a gap there and you dont need to be on a range to fire them.
Yes i would still like to be able to fire the real thing but i would still buy model guns and airsoft for a few reasons.
1. Its the only way to own a full auto thompson etc
2. i would never be allowed to own as large a collecton of real firearms
3. cost, i could never afford to own the same in real firearms
4. you can fire them indoors

We envy you guys in the states, although you have some strange laws in different states but as much as i miss the real thing i love modelguns they are great fun, just bloody time consuming.

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: a question for UK collectors   a question for UK collectors Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 9:56 am

I'm with claymore on this one. Having recently taken up rifle target shooting, the "real things" are fun and exciting but the restrictions on what we can have here are really tight.
I have a semi-auto .22LR, the only semi auto I can own. I've been lucky enough to fire bolt and lever action rifles in .223" .357" .44" .308" and .338" amongst others but as good as they are a modelgun allows me to own and fire a full automatic sub machine gun which is the only way I could ever experience full auto. 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
carpetbagger

Number of posts : 5
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: a question for UK collectors   a question for UK collectors Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 11:16 pm

claymore wrote:
Well the real thing of course and a lot of us had the real thing back in the good old days, however machine guns were never allowed and never would be so modelguns fill a gap there and you dont need to be on a range to fire them.
Yes i would still like to be able to fire the real thing but i would still buy model guns and airsoft for a few reasons.
1. Its the only way to own a full auto thompson etc
2. i would never be allowed to own as large a collecton of real firearms
3. cost, i could never afford to own the same in real firearms
4. you can fire them indoors

We envy you guys in the states, although you have some strange laws in different states but as much as i miss the real thing i love modelguns they are great fun, just bloody time consuming.

Cerwyn wrote:

I'm with claymore on this one. Having recently taken up rifle target shooting, the "real things" are fun and exciting but the restrictions on what we can have here are really tight.
I have a semi-auto .22LR, the only semi auto I can own. I've been lucky enough to fire bolt and lever action rifles in .223" .357" .44" .308" and .338" amongst others but as good as they are a modelgun allows me to own and fire a full automatic sub machine gun which is the only way I could ever experience full auto.

I sympathize with your plight, it is a bit extreme to ban 70% of the guns though. For recreational uses they have much potential.

On the other hand though, I envy you guys because you can get full auto deactivated guns that we cannot. (MK17, F2000, EVO Scorpion, just to name a few) Here we can only get full auto guns manufactured before 1986.
Back to top Go down
joelhall

Number of posts : 18
Location / Country : Buckinghamshire, England
Registration date : 2014-10-13

PostSubject: Re: a question for UK collectors   a question for UK collectors Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Not really a collector, but a film maker. For film making I would rather have the models, much safer.
However, I am also a competitive shooter. We are basically confined to rifles and shotguns, but I would love to be able to shoot pistols in this country.
Back to top Go down
Ron Walker

Number of posts : 26
Location / Country : Isle of Man
Registration date : 2015-09-03

PostSubject: Re: a question for UK collectors   a question for UK collectors Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 2:12 am

Just over a year ago, I moved from SW England to the Isle of Man. A location probably unknown to non-UK residents, (unless they're bikers!)The Island is substantially autonomous - it's NOT part of the EU, your British mobile phone won't work here, unless you've arranged for "roaming". We have the world's oldest democracy, dating back to Viking time We sit in the middle of the Irish sea, close enough to SEE England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland on a clear day, andwe have our OWN flag, banknotes and parliament, known as the Tynwald. We adopt some English laws... and some we don't. We still have dog licenses! And we have firearms certificates too. I can legally buy and use firearms here that are totally banned in England, like a REAL Walther P38, or a SMLE.

I brought with me a collection of modelguns, airsofts, deacts... because I find firearms fascinating. James Bond's Walther PPK  is roughly the same age as my mother (and I'm coming up to the age where I get a free bus-pass) but it's still regarded as "sexy". The Sten gun was churned out in vast numbers - seventy five years ago! - and it STILL does the job it was designed to do. The Colt SAA is thought to be the machine with the longest production run in history... There ARE no other machines of a similar age which still work, in significant numbers.

Last edited by Ron Walker on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: a question for UK collectors   a question for UK collectors Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 10:43 am

Your new location makes the phrase 'No man is an Island' rather redundant. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a question for UK collectors   a question for UK collectors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a question for UK collectors
Page 1 of 1