MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Brewmaster290

Number of posts : 4
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2017-12-16

MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer Empty
PostSubject: MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer   MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 pm

HI folks, recently picked up an MGC 68 MP40. It appears to be one of the last production Models.
I'm certainly interested if this Model can be upgraded to Cap firing version. 1st order of business
appears to be to replace the large recoil spring with a telescoping recoil assembly? The bolt looks
good, not cut and can hold a cartridge. This muzzle nut has the Orange Plug, in fact, the entire
barrel is plugged. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer   MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Welcome to the Forum Brewmaster!

Blocked barrels are not that unusual on later production MGC MP40s. If the chamber is blocked, it may be with  removable plug. If that'll be persuaded to come out it's possible that a Detonator Pin can be inserted between barrel and chamber.
Cap loaded cartridges can then be used to restore your MGC MP40 to firing trim.

It must be stressed that only specific caps should be used to simulate firing. Blank ammunition is far too powerful and would result in a wrecked model and an injured shooter. 

Genuine MGC parts are extremely scarce these days. You may get lucky and find a recoil spring and telescopic tubes (MGC only used not 2 tubes, not 3) but you may not need to replace the spring to get the model working.

Have a good browse through the MGC MP40 category for several articles on converting the model back to cap firing.

Please don't hesitate to ask for help and suggestions. 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Brewmaster290

Number of posts : 4
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2017-12-16

PostSubject: MP40 & Model Newcomer   MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Great info, I was able to remove the chamber plug. So I assume the next thing may be to get a
telescoping recoil assembly or a Detonator Pin? Would the large recoil spring be sufficient to operate this model? By the way, did I use the right Post Title to reply or should I have used another forum title? I'm quite new to this. Also, Can the Muzzle nut be removed on the blocked barrel? If so how? Should the barrel be unblocked? I would assume drilling that would be appropriate if that were the case.

I tried to manually cycle 2 dummy 9mm cartridges but the extractor didn't pick them up and eject them. I think that's because the PFC cartridges are a little larger, I'm not sure. The dummy's seem to seat deep into the chamber. This is actually quite exciting. I have restored actual firearms over the last 20 or so years to firing condition, but I find this very challenging to keep the Model in its original configuration as much as possible while getting it into operational trim.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer   MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 9:51 am

I apologise for this late response. Somehow, I managed to miss your last post.

First, I don't know how well the large diameter recoil spring works in MGC MP40s as I have only owned the telescoping tube types. However, if the spring seems strong enough to slam the bolt forwards when the trigger's released and doesn't allow the bolt to bounce if the gun is shaken it could be worth trying. After all, MGC STEN MkIII and Stirling models work well with large dia springs.

Your post title was fine, no need to worry about that.

The muzzle nut will come off a blocked barrel. My model's nut is a press on fit so take care not to damage the softer zinc barrel.

Don't attempt to drill the barrel. These are cast with an Anti Tamper hardened steel core to prevent opening out the barrel. The model will operate fine, fire and cycle caps with a blocked barrel. 

It's likely that inert/dummy 9mm rds sit too deep in the MGC chamber. Without a Detonator Pin to seat a cartridge correctly any rounds or cartridges would drop through the chamber.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer   MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MP40 & Model Gun Newcomer
Page 1 of 1