MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Klue
Klue

Number of posts : 6
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2018-03-24

DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Empty
PostSubject: DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 1:06 am

So first of all Hello!
Ive been a Guest on this Site for a while and finally joined a few Weeks ago.

My Plan is to transform an Airsoft AK-101 to a Cap Firer.
I have a Hudson AK.. well had, i sold it but havent sent it out yet on wish from the Buyer.
Theres no Cartridges for it and i like the AK-101 and its caliber more also theres Money reasons i had to sell it but with a part of the Money i got a rather Cheap Airsoft AK i have to get small inexpensive replacement Part for the Stock Pin but thats about it.

I thought about making Molds of the Parts from the hudson i may need or could use but for the rest i wanted to ask for help from you Guys here:

like the Bolt i thought of getting a M4/M16 and taking it apart and modifying the Bolt and Built a Aluminium AK Bolt around it but i cant find a cheap or M4/M16 or a Bolt itself so is there an easy way to make a Bolt? (and with easy i mean without Machining since i only have a Dremel and a drill and other HandTools.

Im excited for this since ive been planning on doing this for a while, Time is not a Problem im aware this can take a while!

Thanks for the Help in Advance!
Back to top Go down
Brough2
Brough2

Number of posts : 89
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2017-02-03

PostSubject: Re: DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi Klue,
Welcome to the forum Very Happy
On your subject of converting an Airsoft AK into a cap firing model, it is certainly do able, I had a thought to converting an Airsoft AR15/M4 using a WE tech upper and lower receiver but on reflection gave it a very wide berth, didn't want to end up in court, UK law prohibits this I'm afraid.
Without knowing the internals of a GBB AK i couldn't really give true help or advice.
But as I said before, it certainly is possibly.
I'm sure that other guys will be along soon to help you out.
Brough
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 am

Hello and welcome on the forum! I like your idea.

Sadly I can not really help you as I do not have te required skills or tools. I am sure it can be done, but it won't be easy. Bear in mind that the internals of a GBB and a modelgun are different. You will need a working bolt assy and a magazine to fit the AK body. I have learnt the hard way that friction is a big problem even for factory made modelguns like the Marushin M16 series. The bolt will have to move freely, and getting the right working set-up of the bolt with extractor and ejector is very difficult.

It would be easier to put a working modelgun mechanism into an outer shell of another model, but this seems not possible to me with the m16 modelgun and an AK body.

Anyway members here have created little wonders in the past. One very skilled guy made a Colt 635  9 mm SMG version out of a Marushin M16.
Back to top Go down
Klue
Klue

PostSubject: Update   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 2:01 am

Hey Guys,
Its been a few Years and due to Covid and some time for Myself i remembered this Idea i had.
To keep it short:
I had a 3D Printer for a while but it Broke, why do i say this?
Well..i am getting a new one and am getting the hang of simple CAD Designs (just with TinkerCad) wich will help me a lot to Prototype tho Externally im not Sure yet if it will actually be a 101 im leaning more towards a AKSU.
I think i will be able to do the Internals and Externals but what i cant make are Custom Cartridges that atleast Externally have the measurements of the Original 5.45x39 Ammo since i will be using actual Magazines and 223 will not feed easily from the actual Magazines because of the "Extreme" Curvature .

So it would be good to know if someone here is able to make said cartridges!

Also preferably using small Pistol Primers instead of Fire Caps since those are easier and Cheaper to optain!

Why Primers? Well ive watched a Video im sure most of you did aswell wich gave me the idea, ive tried contacting the Maker Himself but he said he didnt have .223 Cartridges left so yeah that Option sadly is out.
Heres the Video just incase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpr2tp0JyK0

Id be thrilled if i found someone who can make said shells for not to astronomically high of a Price

Thanks for keeping this Thread and for not deleting my Profile after these Years!
Im glad to be Back and search around to see whats new!

Best regards and stay tuned if you are interested!
Back to top Go down
veektohr

Number of posts : 83
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Re: DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 pm

Wow I was just thinking about how to use primers instead of caps. Thank you for sharing this video!

Klue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Klue
Klue

PostSubject: Re: DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 1:03 am

No Problem, im glad i could Help!
Btw ive Read trough your Idea of the Barrelventing M1 and im super impressed with your machining skills!
Is there any chance you are able to make Primer Powered Carts?

Back to top Go down
veektohr

PostSubject: Re: DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks! I've definitely added it to the list. My collection is mostly in .45 and 9mm, so those would be the calibers I started with. Probably start with the .45 since I can't seem to quit messing with my Thompson. My lathe isn't really suited to that kind of small work, but where there's a will there's a way. Gotta wrap some other things up first, though.

Klue wrote:
No Problem, im glad i could Help!
Btw ive Read trough your Idea of the Barrelventing M1 and im super impressed with your machining skills!
Is there any chance you are able to make Primer Powered Carts?

Back to top Go down
Klue
Klue

PostSubject: Update   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 3:27 pm

So theres a small but really cool Update, trough the Help of Forum Member JatiMatic i got somehing special made:
DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Img_20200901_1607375cujdm

A 5.45x39 Blowback Cartridge wich can be either used with Pistol Primers or Fire Caps since he made an Extra Piston and base for Firecaps:
DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Img_20200901_16083537hjl7
(top is for Pistol Primers and bottom for FireCaps)

I will keep this one as a sample and when i get around to buying a Lathe so i can use this as a refference (since he sadly cant make a series of them).

I however will buy .223 Carts since i saw they will also fit 5.45 Mags (if not its no big Deal).
I will now be Working on the Bolt and Chamber/Detonator Design!
Back to top Go down
veektohr

PostSubject: Re: DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Awesome! So the cap primer is the smooth one, and the primer primer is the one with the flutes? Interesting seeing the o-ring on the back cap as well. Is this user the same as the one with the youtube video?
Back to top Go down
Klue
Klue

PostSubject: Re: DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 8:07 pm

I thought so too regarding the O-Ring!
And indeed it is!

Best Regards
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project   DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY AK-101 Modelgun Project
Page 1 of 1