MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Brough2
Brough2

Number of posts : 89
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2017-02-03

Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Empty
PostSubject: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2018 9:55 am

Hi guys,
I'm seeking information regarding buying from EBay USA.
I have the chance to bid on a full set original Knights Armament rail covers, fore grip and pouch.
These will be used on a future model build project.
The question is, will these be ok to buy, and posted out to the UK?
I know that I cannot export/import firearm parts, but are these exempt? Only pieces of plastic and cannot aid in firing a projectile.
I'm looking for definitive advice before I commit to buy.
I can buy the Airsoft reproduction versions of the rail covers and front grip but most Airsoft retailers in the US and Asia are selling them at almost double what I may be able buy the original ones for, if I can of course. I will have to go down the Airsoft path if I have to.
Many thanks in advance.
Brough
Back to top Go down
Brough2
Brough2

PostSubject: Re: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Just had conformation from Knights Armament that their rail covers and vertical foregrips do not require export licence as they don't fall under ITAR restrictions but EAR99 regulations.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2018 4:19 pm

You should not have a problem with these bits, anything that is legal to buy in the UK is legal to import, such as sights, stocks, magazines. The problem you normally get is the companies will not export the parts but if they will there should be no problem.
Back to top Go down
Brough2
Brough2

PostSubject: Re: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2018 4:58 pm

claymore wrote:
You should not have a problem with these bits, anything that is legal to buy in the UK is legal to import, such as sights, stocks, magazines. The problem you normally get is the companies will not export the parts but if they will there should be no problem.

Hi Claymore,
I was a wee bit nervous when the seller said that he wasn't too sure if they fell under the ITAR restrictions, but a very helpful guy at Knight's put me onto a US government website where you can check to see the restrictions on items from manufacturing companys.
I was very surprised with my findings, there are lots of items that you would think would be free from restrictions but unfortunately not, for instance take a well known US company that makes lots of lovely things from polymer, MS2/3 ok but ASAP is restricted, rubber magazine loops ok but plastic ranger plates are restricted, ladder rail rubber protectors ok but MOE furniture (pistol grip, handguards and stocks) restricted.
I'm always wary what I intend to buy but never thought that half of the items are restricted.
If you buy from registered companies/sellers you will be covered by an end of user agreement i.e from Knight's or Brownells for instance but watch your back when purchasing from private individuals.
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks for the info, good to know
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 am

Hi,

Ah ITAR........ That’s a whole different can of worms.

ITAR is a US export control which is designed to stop US companies from supplying items that can be used to wage war (against the US) but also covers documents, information, emails and anything else they see fit from an F16 to an academic paper. If you have been supplied an ITAR item there is a massive process to show who it's going to, what's its end use and that it will not be sold or transferred to one of the banned countries, and that's even before it's shipped.

I'd be surprised if a US company will supply an ITAR item without knowing.

When buying stuff from different places you need to make sure it is legal in your country, one example is modelguns. They are not illegal (as such) in the UK, but without a cover for VCR you can't import them.

Parts of a real gun are a grey area. I've seen restricted firearm parts as:

Anything that can make a projectile fire.

Or

Any pressure bearing component.

The next issue is whether the shipping company allow it. I know most of the UK carriers don't allow any part of any firearm.

Common sense should say that the parts you are getting are fine as long as they are willing to post it to you, but it's always better to be extra careful when it comes to UK firearm laws.

8ace
Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Number of posts : 68
Location / Country : Slough, Berkshire, UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 am

A posting I made in March this year:

"I am a collector of militaria, replica and deactivated firearms and recently purchased a EU/UK spec deativated Walther PPK, to display the pistol with a holster I decided to get a couple of spare genuine magazines, ordered the magazines on line, one from The Gunner in Lincolnshire and the other from Brownells in Rugby. Both magazines arrived OK a couple of weeks ago.
Just had a visit by the local Police this morning enquiring had I ordered a firearm magazine, why did I order it, etc etc ?
The copper had an internal request for information form, he wanted to know what else I had, why I had them etc.. He informed me that they followed up on intelligence, when reported, on people buying firearms spares (that are legal to buy over the counter, with no restrictions)..
Wonder if I will get an early morning wake up call in the near future ?
Looks like they are compiling a register of people who collect replica and deacts.."

Seems that the magazine ordered from Brownells was sent from the US and it was UK Customs who triggered the request for information.
Since then I have heard nothing further on the matter.

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HT600E
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Well at least you have heard nothing further which is very good news and i suppose you cannot blame customs for reporting it considering the current situation, but you would of thought gunner would get it sent to them first to avoid any questions.
Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Number of posts : 68
Location / Country : Slough, Berkshire, UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2018 5:58 pm

claymore wrote:
Well at least you have heard nothing further which is very good news and i suppose you cannot blame customs for reporting it considering the current situation, but you would of thought gunner would get it sent to them first to avoid any questions.

The sting in the tail is I have a firearms intelligence marker against my name and address, if a scrote in my town gets nicked with a gun and says he got it in a local pub from a bloke named Mike - I could well get a visit  Sad
The seller that got the magazine sent fron the US was Brownells UK of Rugby..

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HT600E
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.   Posting from USA to UK, advice sought. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Posting from USA to UK, advice sought.
Page 1 of 1