MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MP40 Metal Receiver Tube

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Empty
PostSubject: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:24 am

Post by wtacamg

Hi all

Just finished a metal receiver for my MP 40.

Ok dont jump up and down IT IS LEGAL

MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Mp%20tube

MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Mp%20tube%202

MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Mp%20tube%203

Cheers[/img]
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:24 am

Post by Claymore

is this cast? looks like you have done a good job you just need to rub it down now by the looks and is it for the marushin.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:25 am

Post by allenb

Very interesting wtacamg - can you go into some detail how you got to this point please.

I was thinking of casting some replacement parts for my guns but only got as far as looking at some'metalcasting at home' websites MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_confused

Whats the internal finish like, will the bolt move freely?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:25 am

Post by wtacamg

OK here are the details

I had this left over from another project and it was raining so I thought how can I make this metal without doing the obvious and use a steel tube which you can do if you are careful how you do it so that some twit cannot try and turn it into a SMG except if you live in the USA were BTAF would take a very dim view of it.

I had been working on my old MGB getting it ready for when the Council stop throwing salt everywhere and had cleaned up the Chrome bumpers. Chrome bumbers are 99.9% steel with a coating of Chrome a few microns thick. So I thought why not put a metal layer over the whole of the MP40 receiver.

I tried cooking foil but this would not be very durable and did not feel right. Even when painted you know something is metal because it is cold to the touch, plastic is warm. I rooted around in my junk pile and found some thin aluminium alloy sheeting which was thin enough to bend but thick enough to feel cold and take some punishment including light sanding. I carefully formed it around the tube (sounds easy but actually takes time) trimmed it etc and then glued it in place. Result one metal tube (remember the chrome bumper)

I am going to see if I can use gun black instead of paint but I may end up having to paint it.

If you want you could convert your MP40 to a MP38 if you are ace with a dermal or an earlier MP40 with the slab sided Mag housing.

I did consider trying to cast a tube as that is one of my many hobbies but it is easier to use a metal tube and put the detailing on later using silver solder. The mag housing is a little more complicated as it is fashioned from stampings but not impossible. I am lucky enough to have a real Deactivated MP40 and the Marushin tube is a little too perfect as the real thing is all stampings with big spot welds it was not meant to be pretty just work.

Hope you have not fallen asleep.

Cheers

John
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:26 am

Post by helfire

Hi John,

You must have the patience of a saint! it must have took you hours to do that MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_eek but the end result looks good...well done!

it's a shame the law in the uk are so strict on firearms and receivers,
i have a friend who makes parts for light aircraft out of billet aluminium and uses CAD-CNC machines,
he said he could make me some parts out of alloy tube and blanks for my replicas from the ABS designs, then put onto the computer disk for the CAD MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_wink
i even thought about buying my own machines(small scale) and having a go, but i dont want to break any laws in the manufacturing process MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_sad and the last time i mentioned this on here it went down like a lead ballon MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_lol

Cheers.

Andy MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_wink
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:27 am

Post by Doc

well it would be easier to just buy a metal MP40 wouldnt it ??

with regard to making steel modelgun receivers.

I know someone in the UK that custom makes blank firing weapons for WW2 re-enactors.
They have no restriction on using steel tubing to make custom guns.
In fact I am pretty sure but you can make any all steel blank firing weapon (or modelgun for that matter) as long as it cannot be easily converted to fire live ammo.
(easily converted refers to the use of everday available tools...not milling machines.)
things like non removable solid steel barrels and hardened steel or ceramic inserts in the breech to comply with home office regs etc

To date I am aware of all steel custom made Stens,M3 grease guns,FG42s, M1 carbines and even a BAR.
Someone else I know is going to start doing PPSH41s and thompsons soon.

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:29 am

Post by Claymore

PPSh's and thompson's doc, sounds interesting you will have to keep us updated on that.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:30 am

Post by Mark

The main problem with making a replacement receiver for the Marushin MP40 is that actual MP40 parts might actually fit as Marushin looks to have copied the actual MP40's dimensions very closely. So, eventhough the you might be only putting the plastic parts in an all metal replacement receiver and just firing 7mm caps in it it still might be considered as making a real firearms part...Just something to think about...

I certainally would love to have an all metal Marushin MP40 that has all of the real MP40's features compared to the older all metal Marushin MP40 (threaded muzzle, proper safety etc.) but, unless Marushin or some other modelgun manufacturer makes one I will stick with the plastic Marushin...

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:30 am

Post by Doc

Hi Mark

Well the real MP40 mag housing will fit the MGC MP40 so the tubes must be the same size. This doesnt seem to cause us any legal trouble when we convert our MGC MP40s to 9mm blank .
We even have bolts machined from Steel with fixed firing pins and this is still ok.
The Home office rules state there has to be a non removable pin with a hardness that meets current guidelines set within the breech so live ammo can`t be fired.

would you be allowed to do this in the USA ?

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:31 am

Post by Mark

Well, our friendly firearms regulating agency the ATFE, doesn't actually have a rule "book" (as reveled to a congressional subcommittee lately) to go by as far as actual regulations on certain things like receiver tubes etc. It seems that all of the actual ATFE's firearms rules come from whatever the ATFE can "get away with" both legally and illegally...So, it's kind of hard to tell just what is exactly legal when it comes to the modelgun replacement parts like the Marushin receiver as it is extremely close to the original receiver dimensions.

The MGC as well as the Marushin (ABS) receiver tubes will accept the original MP38/40 magazine housings. However, the MGC receiver tube is much thinner in construction, the bolt is larger in diameter and the receiver tube is shorter with no proper locking "lugs" either also, it would take major modifications to make the MGC fire live ammunition. The ABS Marushin MP40's receiver is in all indications, properly dimensioned and just might be considered as making a "live" receiver (at least here in the U.S.)

I certainally appears that your Home Office agency has a proper guide book to go by instead of our hap-hazard "do it anyway they feel" ATFE that will raid your house and stick real machine guns in your face while yelling where is "it"....

As I have said before here in the U.S, if you where to make a live thermonuclear device in your basement, you would be given a government job. While if you make a machinegun, you will be thrown in to prison with the key thrown (very far) away...

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MP40 Metal Receiver Tube   MP40 Metal Receiver Tube Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MP40 Metal Receiver Tube
Page 1 of 1