MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GourangaMonsoon

Number of posts : 12
Location / Country : United States
Registration date : 2021-05-25

WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Empty
PostSubject: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2021 1:53 am

Howdy, all! I'm looking to buy any AR-style model gun with realistic internals/action (ruling out for now, e.g., the earlier metal MGC models). Used would be fine! Right now I'm just trying to get into the hobby on a budget - not the easiest proposition in the US.

On that note, I'd also be interested in any broken or spare AR-style MGs or MG bodies you may have lying around. Thank you! WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken 1f600
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2021 2:21 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!
And welcome to the hobby!

I'm a big AR fan myself. That particular model in either MGC, Marushin, or Tanio Koba will be hard to come by in the US. Not impossible, but when you do find one it might be pretty pricey.

I've owned the MGC and the Tanio Koba, but never the Marushin that I recall.

Back to top Go down
GourangaMonsoon

PostSubject: Re: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2021 4:38 am

Thank you kindly for the welcome!  I'm quite passionate about the AR platform. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have many options for upgrade or replacement. I'm hoping I'll be able to make metal upgrade bodies and the like available to other AR collectors.

How did you like the Tanio-Koba and the MGC? So far, I've seen some Marushins for sale at DenTrinity (they didn't return my request for a quote) and at Tokyo-Model out of Hong Kong.  Their costs seemed reasonable, but the MGCs on eBay have been $800-and-up

If it helps me get a "proper" model, I'll happily sell or trade my "Cobalt Blue" FN-15. The "Cobalt Blue" is a non-firing platform used by some units in the US military (e.g., USAF enlisted basic training) for field-stripping drills/training exercises.  The version I have is built for a corrections agency in the US.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2021 12:57 am

Glad to have another enthusiast join our forum!

It isn't getting any easier to get these models in the US.  Currently there is no air shipping from Japan.  I've got a package in transit over 3 months.  It actually arrived here in us 1 month ago and I picture it sitting in a customs warehouse waiting for inspection.  It's only parts, so should be no concerns with it but you never know about US Customs.............they  might seize it because they don't know any better.

Not too long ago I saw a MGC M4 for sale on ebay with spares.  It was expensive, but some would appreciate the spare parts.

I really liked the MGC model, but it’s reliable firing performance was a major downside for me.  It was ok, but I was constantly trying to get 20 rounds in succession.  I got close and may have succeeded a time or two, but not consistently.

The Tanio Koba isn’t quite as realistic in construction, but it is a performer.  It is advertised as being constructed of some sort of tough, amorphous nylon.  Whatever that is.  The action is very smooth and it’s firing performance is unparalleled. Ripping off 30 rounds is not an issue.

In the end, I sold the MGC M4 models I had and kept the Tanio Koba versions.

I may end up selling one of my Tanio Koba models soon as I have a few of them, but it wouldn’t be budget-friendly if I do.  😊

The fabrication of metal bodies sound interesting, but please be cautious that your intentions could not be misinterpreted.  The dimensions would not work with a real firearm, but that’s not an argument I would want to have in the first place with law enforcement.
Back to top Go down
GourangaMonsoon

PostSubject: Re: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2021 1:52 am

It's terrible that a warning like that needs to be given, but today it absolutely does. Thank you for the concern. If the idea ever comes to fruition, I'll submit it to the ATF for review and declaration as a "non-gun". The PA company that made my FN-15 replica did the same thing for their own product.

The idea actually comes from airsoft experience. Sturdier construction has always been in demand on that side of the hobby house, so metal upgrade parts for airsoft replicas is common enough in the US. That said, I believe some ViperTech AR models were banned for too closely mirroring the real weapon's dimensions.

Personally, I find that poor bodies of any kind - especially plastic where one expects metal - ruins the model experience somewhat [to be fair, I feel the same way about super smooth wooden AK handguards - I'm looking at you, Hudson!]. I'd also like to see ARs strong enough for reenactors. As I understand it, model guns are the only real option, but the fragility and expense are non-starters.

As for your own Tanio-Koba... well... that model is a unicorn to me. I'd sure go beyond "budget" range for that. If you do decide to sell, would you mind giving me a first crack at it??
WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken 1f600
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2021 3:08 am

I hope I didn't come off as "warning" you, but offering a word of caution.

I think it is pretty cool idea to think about a "reinforced" model gun. And I know exactly where you're coming from with the plethora of upgrade parts available for airsoft hobbyists.  I have an upgraded PTW in the works right now.

I'm not familiar with ViperTech, but I think Inokatsu made an M4 version that might have been just a little too close for comfort in the regulating authority's eyes.

I have also been disappointed with some model construction materials. I had a CAW M3A1 that I sold because it was too "plasticky".  However, almost all of my models are not metal and I love them.  I have even come to prefer some models, like the TK M4, even though it is not metal.  Perhaps that is because my experience tells me that the metal quality and finishing in modelguns is generally pretty poor.
Back to top Go down
GourangaMonsoon

PostSubject: Re: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2021 3:31 am

No offense taken! My apologies if I seemed otherwise. A "warning" to me is just "cautionary advice," which I'm really quite grateful for.

While I was living in DC, a guy there got 5 years for possessing empty shotshells. That's not a position I *eeeever* want to be in.

I am serious about the Tanio-Koba, by the way. Sending PM shortly Smile

As for VT, it looks like they used to be an OEM manufacturer of Inokatsu.

Back to top Go down
Fight Designer
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Fight Designer

Number of posts : 241
Location / Country : Eugene, OR, USA
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2021 3:20 pm

I might be up for selling one of mine... they're too fragile to really rent out as props, so they've mostly just sat in their boxes for over a decade...
Back to top Go down
http://www.fightdesigner.com
GourangaMonsoon

PostSubject: Re: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2021 5:39 pm

That would be splendiferous. PM me?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken   WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WTB: AR-pattern models and kits, working and broken
Page 1 of 1