MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Thompson help needed...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
andrew

Number of posts : 3
Location / Country : uk
Registration date : 2022-11-26

MGC Thompson help needed... Empty
PostSubject: MGC Thompson help needed...   MGC Thompson help needed... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 12:58 pm

Hi All,
I've recently (literally) just stumbled upon an MGC Thompson 1921.
I was out walking the dogs with my wife....and after one of the driest summers for years here in the UK, many of the ponds are at low-level...
...To cut a long story short, I was rooting around in the mud on the fringes of one of these ponds looking for old bottles when I spotted a wooden foregrip poking up from the mud.
Imagine my surprise when I pulled out the Thompson!!!
Anyway, with a good clean-up, some varnish and some matt black, I'm left with what's in the photo.
Unfortunately there's NO DRUM MAGAZINE, and someone's cut a slot into the detonator chamber and REMOVED THE SLEEVE that houses the shell when firing.
I'd obviosly like to get it back into a firing-condition, (a worst case scenario would be to simply have it as a display piece).
I've tried 'MG-props' and 'PlugFireCapGuns' here in the UK, but with no luck.
Any help, or advice, in getting these parts would be much appreciated.
MGC Thompson help needed... 16694615
MGC Thompson help needed... 16694614

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson help needed...   MGC Thompson help needed... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 am

That's a great find. I sadly have never found something like this, altough I was often roaming the wodds and brushes here. Strange to hear that someone got rid of such a pricy model in this strange way, but maybe he was not fully aware if it was a legal replica.

Sadly I am no expert on MGC Thompsons, and there may be various versions. Getting spares withen Europe is almost impossible, but maybe forum member Shazhib in Japan could help. I suggest that yoou send him a PM and ask.

andrew likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

Number of posts : 168
Location / Country : Sweden.
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson help needed...   MGC Thompson help needed... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2022 10:18 am

I sadly cant help you but I just wanted to say thats a GREAT find! Of all things you can find in a pond and you manage to find this! Amazing!Very Happy

By the looks of it , it dont look like it been in the pond for that long? As Madmike mention it probably is someone who werent fully aware of the laws or that it was a replica and just wanted to get rid of it.

Thank god you of all people, who happen to know what it was found it! I mean most people would probably have called the police? Laughing ( Who probably would have confiscated it and destroyed it? )

andrew likes this post

Back to top Go down
andrew

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson help needed...   MGC Thompson help needed... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2022 2:42 pm

Thanks guys,

Yep, MadMike, I'll send Shazhib a message.☺

I've done some research and found that this is an early model with an open-vented barrel. I think that the paper caps were used with these and many people have since converted them to use plastic caps. I'm not sure whether this involves any adjustments to the chamber and detonator, but since these are both missing from my Thompson I'll need to decide what is needed in order to get it firing again.

Sommarkatze - Yeah, it was certainly a shock. At first I thought it was an actual Thompson 😲
It wasn't until I wiped the mud off that I realized it was an MGC modelgun. It's probably a good thing too, because parts for a real Thompson would be even harder to get my hands on, and might even involve some prison-time. confused

oozlum likes this post

Back to top Go down
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

Number of posts : 292
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2011-11-30

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson help needed...   MGC Thompson help needed... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2022 8:04 pm

My old a loved MGC m1921 accept real Thompson stick magazines.
I have no experience with real drum magazines
(Might also be hard to find) confused
Back to top Go down
andrew

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson help needed...   MGC Thompson help needed... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2022 9:07 pm

Yeah, I’ve heard that the genuine Thompson stick magazines can be made to fit.
I may end up trying that, but first I’ve got to fabricate a replacement detonator.
It’s difficult without the exact dimensions.
I guess it’s going to be a case of trial and error when I get the time. 👍
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson help needed...   MGC Thompson help needed... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC Thompson help needed...
Page 1 of 1