MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1912 Thompson

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ggragilla

Number of posts : 2
Location / Country : United States
Registration date : 2024-05-10

1912 Thompson  Empty
PostSubject: 1912 Thompson    1912 Thompson  Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 7:54 pm

I just purchased a MGC Thompson for $400.00 us guy at gun shop said it fires 7mm not much help 45s are 11 mm so I email amo guy in UK sent pictures of block barrel and slide he replied it's a dummy gun doesn't fire I don't think so  .it looks like older before 1970s cap cartridges it definitely dot have fire pin for newer pfc is sent previous pictures of block barrel and slide I'd of MGC stamped on outside of gun my question is will it fire anything or is it a display  thanks  glen
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11090
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

1912 Thompson  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1912 Thompson    1912 Thompson  Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:23 pm

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

MGC produced models of the 1921 Thompson in basically two versions. Non firing display only, and firing versions that used reusable brass cartridges, slightly smaller than real 45ACP, charged with a 7mm dia cap.

Non firing versions have bolt faces ground away at about 45 degrees making them impossible to strip cartridges from the magazine and unable to hold a cartridge. The chamber would be plugged so that the Detonator Pin could not be fitted.

Firing models have unground bolts, detonator pins in the chamber. Note that both types were supplied with either open or blocked barrels depending on year of manufacture.

There is a wealth of information on the Forum  showing the differences between display and firing models which should be of help to you.

One word of caution, do not, under any circumstances, attempt to fire Blank ammunition in your Thompson. It's made of zinc alloy which is weak. A Blank would blow the model apart causing severe injury to the shooter and anyone else in close proximity.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net

1912 Thompson  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1912 Thompson    1912 Thompson  Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2024 3:40 am

Hi Glen, it's a display gun until you put in "innards in" as another member posted.

The main issue is, as Cerwyn helpfully posted, is the zymak doesn't like continual screw/unscrew, and I'm sure, if asked, the gun defienatly didn't like the method of disabling the screw that holds the detonator in place.

Stacking expertiese is how America used to be.

I have Doug Richardsons Thompson submachine gun shop manual. Now Doug, he's a sneaky guy from the grave. He wrote the manual for me. Meaning he swaped out the need for a machine shop, and gave directions using regular tools.

That's an efficency message to me: His message is this, a Thompson can only be killed by a "so called gunsmith". The Japanese implementation carries over incredible strentgh by design, meaning John Thompson designed your gun. Doug Richrdson gave instructions for tuning unknown loads in the submachine gun. So from the barrel end back, it's waiting for innards. I note Germany has 9mmPAK blank guns. Hence I'm a bit amazed that 2024 tests run by me seems to indicate more of cultural view. than American expertiese. Meaning, the man helping me, is not really useful due to a limited view that's part of the subculutre that identifies itself as gun centric. I know America well enough to not go running around randomly entering gun shops that haven't seen an intact MGC before.

Played as a game of "least effort" like open source programming where tasks are taken up by people it costs least in time, isn't implemented widely. Meaning, American culture would not tolerate at 1:1 engineering carry over to a toy. So, Japan was least effort making it, as their culture demanded it. Staging guns and parts is least effort in my Armory, but gun culture was a disapointment in 9mm Pak development. I'm sure anyone in Germany is more qualifed to drop in a 9MM PAK, than anyone gun culture.

Furher expounding on culture, I'm Unitarian by birth, or as I say a Rogue Liberal, Unitarians disaprove of m choices, but leave ethics up to their members. Such tolerance is not had in American liberals I was sorry to find. When my company as Longarms LLC, a play on my name, not a commitment to firearms, I was soon excumunicated by former high school guys I knew. So, it's hard when everyone is playing stupid that this an ethics game. Meaning for me, do gun nuts have a say in my choice in hobby, and do Liberals likewise get a say.

Germany is home of Umerx I think, with 9mm Pak, those blank guns ahave a bold face that will extract 9mmPak. Meaning, you could literally, buy a blank gun, cut out the bolt face, and just take it frm there. Bolt faces are tricky enough, it's not an Armory job. I need some CAD work, and then I'm cooking with TNT. Having a non firearm parts set means easy entry to the US. Gun parts are easy too, but you pay for a permit and exise tax. People forget, the US is open for firearm parts import, so where was the confusion about modelgun imports? I'm saying if a German had DMd me at any time, we'd have a solution. I don't have to KNOW Germans t know this: Germans got precsion and effiency down- Hence I don't compete with those guys Likewise, when I'm holding a plastic 1921AC Thompson for 10 year olds, and I know the cultural rule says "Look inward to Japan", I'm wondering how they conceptualized the AC version. That gun, in Armory, I have to touch to determine it's the plastic one. Hence, the Japanese have an asthetic, I will not compete with, because I SEE their asthetic in a gun for 10 year olds, but I don't GET IT. Again, as an American, I won't compete with Japanese asthetics.

The last part on strength. I have 20 battle tested Japanese M1A1 Airsoft. I've never purchased a stateside new one. Why? Well field reports say the Japanese airsoft are in service for 10 years. As an American, I say that they say "10 years" as they cannot conceptualize "forever". The airsoft seems to carry over the strength of the submachine gun. I felt the feel that my Chinese Airsoft was ready for combat, no knowing it was a Japanese design. All Japanese variants simply carry over Doug Richardsons engineering observation, the platform will last forever, abusive gunsmiths their greatest danger.

Doug wrote manual so as to say, anyone can work on a Thomson. I didn't get that meant that sure, Germans could solve their own problem, as 9mmPAK is rampant there, and I could mail guns.

1912 Thompson  Thelas12
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1912 Thompson  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1912 Thompson    1912 Thompson  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1912 Thompson
Page 1 of 1