MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11090
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Empty
PostSubject: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:52 pm

Post by Phobus

I was looking at the Sig 220 pistol on the UN Company website under the Wa Shan brand name - cheap for a full - metal pistol $185 but I was wondering howcome it is described as a dummy model ?
Is this a modelgun or not ?

The reason is I have dealt with UN Company before for airsofts and they are good to deal with imo , and I was wanting to get a final xmas order in before the imminent VCR bill in new year . I notice the Marushin Luger is a similar price too and looks VERY nice but I always wanted a SIG .

Does anyone know about the Wa Shan brand - if they are worth bothering with or not . Trades ? I take it the barrel will be blocked ?How good a replica is it ?
Any other info would be brill. Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_wink

Regards CARL.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Post by Claymore

Do a search as you will find loads of talk on these models, the older ones where very good for the price but i have recently bought the 45 and am a bit dissapointed as the gun is light considering it is metal and the barrel is plastic, the older models seem to of been made of heavier metal and the barrels weer also metal. The gun fires fine but does not compare to the berreta i have or the glock which is a pity
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Post by Spencerman

There is a whole section about them in the reviews section I believe. I have not the sig, but do have others, including the Full Metal Glock which many hate because it is Full Metal, but that is no more strange than Full Plastic! Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_confused I have found that they are great (at least every one that I have). One of my Glocks wont fire very well, but I think this was down to a small modification that was made on it. It still looks and feels the bollocks though. My 1911 fires absolubtly flawlessly, which is something I find a little rare with model guns, mabe it is just me not doing something right with the others, but the 1911 is good. The markings on all of my guns are clear and straight (some of the pictures that I seen make them look crap). The M9 is a dolphin model. That means that it can fire in semi or full auto. The only complaint that I have is the metal casting where the selector switch is screwed into on mine has threadded, so the screw is either too tight to allow the selction lever to be pulled out enough to change it, or it just pops right out and flies off across the room. The barrels lack the bar that runs down to the front, but are still blocked up near to the chamber, similar to many British blank firers. These models certainly are up at the top of my list when considering any new model gun now, and if they have a version available of the gun that I need, then I will plump for them before any other manufacture.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Post by allenb

Hi Phobus,

I have the SIG P220 from Wa Shan, it has a good weight to it, but much of this is due to the grips being metal. The lower frame is also 'heavy' metal, but the slide is light metal and the barrel is plastic.

The slide is so light I thought it was plastic, but it is metal - I just checked again!

I also have the ABS MGC P220 that Wa Shan copied to make their gun and the parts have looked pretty interchangeable, though there are differences due to Wa Shan's manufacturing methods (the magazine is cast metal instead of stamped sheet metal for example).

The gun DID fire well - but it broke very quickly - due to a dodgy bit of cast metal in the trigger linkage.

Trades - Gun has got SIG SAUER on the one side of the slide and P220 on the other side, same as the MGC. Underneath this, it says 'MADE BY Y.T. CORP' instead of 'MADE BY MGC'.

Would I recommend it? Hard question! - I would say yes (just) - and hope you get a good one with better casting...

Hope this helps mate.

Oh a yes they do say 'dummy model' on UNCompany for both modelguns and other non-firing guns, but this is definately as modelgun Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Post by Phobus

Thanks for response guys - very interesting .
Of course these pistols appeal because of the metal construction .
I avoid plastic whenever possible.

The full - Metal Glock sounds strange though - I read somewhere that the best replica Glock is the Tanaka - I think it was one of Spencermans threads Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_wink

I want to get some kit in before the bill , its just knowing what to get . After the VCR there will be plenty of time for regret !! I suppose there are many other Brit collectors feel the same way .

I definately want a couple of full-metal pistols tho, - probably a wa shan and a Marushin Luger . I like the Auto-Mag as well but they seem to be rare items now ? Not sure if they are available new .

I recall in the late 70s early 80 s holding a REAL Auto mag in a gunshop in my hometown . It was a defining experience for me . A hand CANNON , the heft and presence . Chrome finish with black grips .

Anyway , thanks again guys , I will continue my search for more details on the Wa Shan pistols . Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_lol

Regards CARL.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Post by 8ace

Get one !!!!!!!

I fear that Taiwan will stop making full metal model guns way before the UK VCR bill is sorted out.

I have a wa shan colt .45, beretta m84 and the beretta 92fs/M9 and i love them all.

But remember it is all about personal choice:
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Post by Phobus

I notice the price of these pistols is around 90 pounds from UNCompany before postage / vat and those other little extras which we get clobbered for when we import our own gear here in the UK . Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_cry

I think that price is very good for a full - metal pistol if they are as good as most people seem to be saying on here .

So where is the best place to buy Wa Shan pistols if you live in the UK ?
Is Frankie my best bet if I was to place a large order ( probably my LAST !!! Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_mad )

I also wanted a CA AUG airsoft is the reason I checked out UNCompany plus other airsoft items and I was not sure if Frankie does these ?

I am REALLY worried about the VCR and how it will affect my hobby . I read modelguns will NOT be affected somewhere but I can,t see how the very best replicas available will not be impacted in some way by this ban on replica guns.

Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_cry Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_mad Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_sad

Regards Carl.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Post by rizzo

www.gunsnguys.com

try them, I've ordered countless times and never get customs charges.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Post by Mark

Unfortunately, Francky cannot get the WaShan pistols due to Japanese law(s)that forbid their possession in Japan. So, its either www.gunsnguys.com , www.dentrinity.com or www.uncompany.com that's about it....

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Post by 8ace

Don't forget Tokyo Model Company.

http://www.tokyo-model.com.hk/trade/productlist/0/

I have had about 50% luck with import charges with anything I get from abroad. With model guns they only charge 17.5% VAT but no duty charges (they do add admin charges £5-£15 depending on carrier)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Post by Phobus

Just a thought here guys .

I notice lots of people who commented on this thread refer to " new plastic barrels " on the Wa Shan pistols .

Meaning - I presume - plastic as in unlike the earlier pistols which had metal barrels .

My question is , does the plastic barrels mean unblocked barrels with no plug in them as per blank firers etc ?? I know other ABS modelguns need no barrel blockage such as the Beretta 93 .

Also where is cheapest to buy ? And any problems with cart availability ??

Regarsd Carl.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 5:00 pm

Post by 8ace

My Beretta M9 and M84 have metal barrels but my colt government has a plastic one (the M9 parts diagram states plastic barrel) and all of my Wa Shan gun barrels have no plugs.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 5:01 pm

Post by Spencerman

The only one of mine to have the plastic barrel is the 1911. I think that they used to be metal, but on this model changed to plastic, probably a legality thing. All of my others have metal barrels, including my M9, and as mentioned, none of mine have a barrel plug either. They are blocked about 2 3rds of the barrel diameter near the chamber end, but then they need to be to hold the detonator in place, the rest of the barrel has no bar in it.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???   Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wa Shan Pistols... Good or Bad???
Page 1 of 1