MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hi from New Zealand

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11090
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Hi from New Zealand Empty
PostSubject: Hi from New Zealand   Hi from New Zealand Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 7:23 pm

Post by kiwimp40

Hi everyone

Great forum! Ive just got me a second hand Marushin MP40 mainly for display purposes (yes the evil 'wallhanger') with my militaria collection. Deactivated firearms here are not possible to own without a collectors licence so the Marushin is my standin.

Ive just spent a good deal of time looking through some of the posts relating to the MP40 so ill try not to replicate questions here. It is my intention to get this modelgun as realistic looking as i can though and therefore function isnt as important.

Painting is one avenue im thinking of trying but does anyone know of a non - functioning metal barrel (zinc, or anything from another type of modelgun) that i can fit to my Marushin? Condition isnt important as im after the 'used' look anyway.

I can also say that after looking at some of your photos, this hobby is going to hook me quick as there are some amazing modelguns out there that i never knew about. Im kinda new to this you see.

Anyone from New Zealand out there who i can talk to about finding the bits i may need? I also see the frustration of some of you out there who would love to dress this gun up with 'real' external parts to give it a more honest feel. Our laws here make that difficult. In fact i recently asked the police if i could get some real grips for the model and i was told to get my collectors licence! I mean hell, grips? Gee i can see them causing some trouble. Recievers i can understand. Well enough of my rant, im sure youve all heard it before, and you havent, youve maybe thought it.

Hi from New Zealand Icon_biggrin Regards

Gordon
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from New Zealand   Hi from New Zealand Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 7:23 pm

Hello Gordon,
Welcome to the forum!

The MP40 is the first modelgun I bought also, it certainly wasn't the last as this hobby is incredibly adictive Hi from New Zealand Icon_biggrin

If I recall correctly, a forum member we haven't heard from in a long while, Reemo, painted a Grease Gun M3A1 and that looked superb.

Try the Search feature looking for either Hudson Grease Gun / Hudson M3A1 / or Paint techniques and the photos and hints and tips should still be there.

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from New Zealand   Hi from New Zealand Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Post by MadMike

I too would like to welcome you here on this forum!

If you are not too happy with the shiny plastic look, one thing you could try is sanding the shiny plastic parts, using VERY fine sand paper. I have done this sometimes and liked the effect. But take care you donĀ“t use too coarse sand paper as it will scratch the parts, only use very fine sand paper.

Madmike
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from New Zealand   Hi from New Zealand Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Post by Mark

Welcome to the forums kiwimp40!

The Japanese hobby of modelguns is a very addictive hobby that can easily get out of hand if you let it! I try to limit my collection to full auto capable guns! (although, that really doesn't work Hi from New Zealand Icon_lol ) There is allot to learn about these "toys"

The guys suggestions on the mp40's finish are really good and I would try them. The Marushin mp40 is a nice replica and it makes a very good wall hanger out of the box albeit a bit too plastic looking..

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from New Zealand   Hi from New Zealand Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 7:25 pm

Post by kiwimp40

Thanks guys Hi from New Zealand Icon_biggrin

And thank you for the tips, im going to try the very fine sanding first. At the least it will be good for prep work but i think dulling the gloss plastic will help a lot. Im thinking of weathering some of the edges as youd find on the real gun. Ive been slowly building an image base of real MP40s.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from New Zealand   Hi from New Zealand Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 7:26 pm

Post by kickback

Hi Kiwimp40,

Welcome to the forum mate Hi from New Zealand Icon_biggrin

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hi from New Zealand   Hi from New Zealand Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm

Post by kiwimp40

Thanks kickback Hi from New Zealand Icon_biggrin

I thought maybe ill take the gloss off the ABS, use the black as a preshade and give the parts a light coat of 'off black' with a grey tinge. Flat or semi gloss im not sure but i will add a little metal wear and discolouration. May take a while as i have to replace my old dead airbrush. Ive been looking at various pics of battle worn MP40s and i may also flatten the shine on the Marushin 'Bakelite'.

This forum has helped already, i was having trouble pulling the gun apart and after reading a previous post....well yeah i didnt know i had to hold down the trigger while twisting the reciever. Live and learn eh.

It also helps to have an old ABS airsoft AK47 to practice on, if anything looks plastic its this gun! Hi from New Zealand Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from New Zealand   Hi from New Zealand Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from New Zealand
Page 1 of 1