MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts? Empty
PostSubject: M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts?   M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:13 pm

Post by 8ace

Hi,

I'm hoping to make some replacement Thompson bolts for the Hudson modelgun and I was wondering if there is a difference between the model version and the real one (excluding the firing pin) as regards to size and weight.

If there is anybody has a real one and is willing to measure it for could you PM me.

Many thanks

8Ace
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts?   M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:14 pm

Post by richard jones

If someone has a real deact thompson i dont thing it would be of much help as the bolts are quite brutaly chopped during the deact process-well they are on most guns but to be honest i havent seen a thompson one M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts?   M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Post by fightdesigner

Not sure if this will help or not, but Sportsmansguide.com sells dummy Thompson receiver parts for a display gun version built on old surplus parts...
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts?   M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Post by 8ace

Cheers for the info guys,

I have to be careful about getting parts from the US as the firearms laws are different than here in the UK.

I could buy an old UK spec deac but they are very expensive £500+ and they should have a non welded bolt (true the face will be machined at an angle) but the dimensions of the square body etc..... should be the same.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts?   M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:16 pm

Post by Mark

8ace,

I would just copy the Hudson bolt as closely as possible. The Hudson bolt in my M1 is (or was) too light. So I filled the hollow cavity on the bolt's side with melted in lead. The Hudson bolt is either larger or smaller than the real Thompson bolt to prevent conversions. That, and the fact that the real bolt is made out of steel which has a higher specific gravity than zinc. The replacement Hudson bolt body could be made from a block of steel that, would have the sear notches, charging handle, recoil spring/guide holes. And a hole on the face of the bolt for the separately machined, round bolt to thread into the bolt body. The bolt could be turned and threaded on the lathe and the extractor slot milled after the bolt is threaded into the bolt body.

Other than the weight, hardness, material, firing pin and the size issue the real M1A1 bolts are close to the Hudson bolts other than the Hudson bolts are cast whereas the Thompson bolts are made from billet steel in one piece.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts?   M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:17 pm

Post by 8ace

I'm hoping that the real bolt is a different size.

As you may know I’m making a replacement bolt for my Hudson Thompson out of steel and if it works and there is any interest I will make them to order, but I’m concerned about the convertibility.

I will add a hardened steel pin to the bolt face to stop the later addition of a firing pin but it would be nice if the overall size were different.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts?   M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M1A1 Thompson... Real / Model Bolts?
Page 1 of 1