MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

mgc thompson m1928 parts and such

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Empty
PostSubject: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 12:39 pm

****Originally posted by gpwpat****

hello I am purchasing an older model gun. origionally for display but it would be nice to get it functional as well. It is missing what the seller calls an extractor, the caps and the bullets. I did see that they just rerealeased it so My hopes are up that I can find the missing parts and get it functional. any leads where I can get parts, brass rounds and caps for it are appreciated. either in the US or overseas online. I did see the place in the UK but it seems pricy with the weak dollar. 40 us for 10 "bullets"
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 12:38 pm

****Originally posted by mark****

Hi gpwpat,

You might try http://www.modelguncollector.co.uk/ or www.endosoji.com they will possibly be able to help you on the parts situation..

The cartridges are always expensive for these MGC "Thompsons" as they are very precise in construction and they are somewhat hard to find..

There are 2 versions of the MGC "Thompson" the early "papercap" version and the later 7mm plastic cap versions..

The earlier "papercap" version has allen head cap screws on top of the reciever and the barrel is hollow (except for the blockage rod) all the way through..

The later version has no allen cap screws on the top of the reciever and the barrel is blocked..

The MGC "Thompsons" imported into the U.S. usually don't have the extractor, firing chamber, "detonator" or the cartridges. (sometimes, the chamber is blocked with a piece of steel and the bolt face was cut at an angle)

This was the case, due to the fact that many of these MGC "Thompsons" where imported into the U.S. just to be used as props and displays, not to "shoot" them..

The collectors armory used to import these back in the 1960's and all the way up to the late 80's.

Originally, they where imported as "firing" replicas but, after the postal service forbid the mailing of the required caps for the "blow-back system."

The collectors armory then stopped importing the caps,cartridges and started importing the display only, "decorator" versions from Japan.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 12:40 pm

mgc thompson m1928 parts and such MVC-026S
mgc thompson m1928 parts and such MVC-024S
mgc thompson m1928 parts and such MVC-023S
mgc thompson m1928 parts and such MVC-025S

mark thanks for responding to me. I have checked you links and emailed them.

so it looks by the 2 screws on the top it is an early MGC paper cap version? so does that mean I won't be able to retrofit it with new parts to blowback the caps? what is the value on one of these? is $400 out of line or a good deal? seems like it is possibly still a good deal even if it is only for display. I bought it to display with my wwii jeep at shows and such. It would have been cool to have it make noise though and throw brass.
Maybe I could sell it and pick up a new one that has those capabilities.

what is your opinion on the hudson m1a1 over the mgc m1928?

I was looking at the Tokyo Mauri airsoft gun too for my display but to add a wood kit to that I would be at the same price as this or more. I likes the Idea of being able to blast off caps. over shooting plastic BB's

Besides I already got a soft air thompson springer. it lookg great at 5' but the screw holes in it set me off to find something that looked great in the hand and was a non gun. we have bad gun laws here in CA and I would rather have a non gun in my jeep at shows.

thanks again for your help.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi gpwpat,

Yes, the MGC Thompson in your pictures are the earlier version. You can retrofit this version with the necessary parts but it might be expensive for you to do so...

The newer version is the best choice they do show up on e-bay from time to time. In fact, there is (or was?) one on e-bay but they want far too much for it..

The earlier version will (when all of the parts are obtained to make it function) emit smoke from the barrel!

The MGC Thompson usually goes for $400 or more depending on condition and the seller (I was lucky, I picked up my early MGC Thompson for $175.00)

The MGC that you show looks to be in great shape although, the 20 round original magazine is missing..

The Hudson M1A1 is a great modelgun and is worth the money it functions great and it is available new http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_list.jsp?cid=COL&bid=MGUN&pg=6&rpp=10 for $483.50

That is the best price that I have yet seen for the Hudson M1A1.

I suppose that the the year of the war that your jeep is portrayed as representing will make the final determination to which one to use '28 or M1A1...

All of the Hudson videos and the write-ups that I have seen have been positive for the Hudson M1A1.

I don't think that you can beat the Hudson as it looks and works great!

The Hudson M1A1 will be my next modelgun..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 12:42 pm

well I got my gun. and MGC in the UK can get the parts for me.

here is my situation. no extractor. the bolt is cut at an angle. but from what I hear I needa new bolt anyway to make it work with the new extractor and the new caps.. also there seems to be a no chamber and the barrel is plugged.

can I drill out the plug in the barrel and the chamber? do you know.

so it seems my list of whatI need to find are the

clip, cap holders(bullets), extractor, bolt
anything else that you can think of?

I do have a blowapart view that Model Gun Collector sent me.

I also would like to get the cutts compensator as I have the standard tip.
but if that part is pricy I will borrow a real cuts and turn one on my lathe.

I guess if I can't get the chamber open there is no since in trying to get it to work.

Thanks for any reply.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Ok, then you do have a "collectors armory" MGC Thompson..I think that the plug in the chamber can be removed but I need detailed pictures to see how the insert is held in place..

You need the bolt assembly,caps,cartridges and a new chamber with a "detonator" (for the cartridges) I must warn you that to do this conversion and buying the parts shipping etc. You will probably spend more than $3-400 to do the conversion right!

Since MGC has re-relased the Thompson you might think about selling the one that you bought and buy one of the new MGC Thompsons (about $560 or so, but it comes with 10 cartridges and a 39 round drum) check it out here http://www.endoshoji.com/model-guns/page006.html

I have a spare MGC compensator that I might sell let me know..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 12:44 pm

The MGC Thompson can be found for $340.00 at http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_list.jsp?cid=COL&bid=MGUN&pg=5&rpp=10

This is the best price that I have found for this MGC Thompson and it includes the 39 round drum and 10 cartridges if you have ever wanted a MGC Thompson, this is the best deal out there for one...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 12:45 pm

****Originally posted by october****

mark wrote:
The earlier "papercap" version has allen head cap screws on top of the reciever The later version has no allen cap screws on the top of the reciever

does this just pertain to the 1928, or the 1921 also?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi october,

Yes, it pertains to "all" of the MGC Thompsons, but the allen cap screws are visible only on the top of the early MGC Thompsons..All of the MGC Thompsons are 1921's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson m1928 parts and such   mgc thompson m1928 parts and such Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mgc thompson m1928 parts and such
Page 1 of 1