MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Empty
PostSubject: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Here's one I've been working on for ages now...

Hudson's PPSh41

I bought this new just before October last year and it came with Hudson's lightened bolt which proved to be... well, useless Exclamation It started to crack after a few attempts at firing so I found an old heavy weight bolt (thanks Brad Exclamation ) which Kickback repaired and "tweaked"

8ace modified the MGC .38Super cartridges to fit and so I ended up with a PPSh that fires! cheers

Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Th_PPShfinalnomusic

Click here to View: https://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/cerwyn/?action=view&current=PPShfinalnomusic.mp4

We fired 175 cartridges to get enough footage for this video. Shocked
It's a very dirty gun, 35 rounds in the drum fired in one or two bursts produces enough residue in the Detonator Chamber and about the base of the Det. Pin to cause jamming.

I use Silicone Grease to lubricate the o-rings in the cartridges and although it burns well it does produce a thick build up of dirt that makes cartridges stick in the chamber.

Stripping and cleaning the Detonator Chamber & Pin after every magazine load is a pain to do... Rolling Eyes but it's the only way I've found so far to ensure long bursts of fire... and it does now empty up to 30 with one squeeze of that trigger Twisted Evil

Idea Maybe the chamber needs widening or venting to clear away gas and residue before I think about the possibilities of the gun firing 71 rds from the real PPSh41 drum I've got.
It fits the Hudson and feeds great when cycling by hand... Question Question Question

Cerwyn

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.

Last edited by Cerwyn on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Nice video Very Happy

I had a thought about the residue build up Exclamation is there a difference between MG and Marushin caps with how cleanly they burn Question

8ace
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 3:43 pm

Now there's a thought... sounds like a good excuse to fire it again Wink

Most of my other SMGs can only manage 3 x mag fulls of 30 rds before extraction problems start.

Marushin's abs MP40 has an open barrel and well vented chamber but the Det. Pin gets coated in muck. Lithium based grease leaves a wet dirty residue while the silicone type leaves a much drier coating.
Same for the MGC MP40, 2 mags without a hitch, but the third mag will have extraction probs.

The Marushin UZI has a gas bypass system venting out of the chamber and again, 2 mags are good, the third starts sticking...

My MGC Thompsons have blocked barrels and still manage 60+ rds before starting to stick.

The PPSh has a very narrow and tight chamber. The base of the Det Pin fills the back of the cavity up leaving nowhere for the deposits to go other than around the pin and piling up at the base.

The problem's made worse because by the time I've re loaded 35 rds to let off a second mag full the crud from the first firing has started drying and sticking to the pin.

Has anyone tried drilling vent holes along the bottom edge of the PPSh chamber? That surface is open to air and might help clear the chamber of some crud?
The older PPSh's had a gas bypass into the barrel didn't they?
Did that make any difference to how dirty the chamber gets?

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 12:18 am

Looks like you have that working really well, does it take chunks out of the rounds though as thats the problem with mine now, after about 5 firings the rims of the rounds have chunks missing and that causes ejection problems and i am still not absolutly certain what hits the round to casue that damage.
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Number of posts : 234
Location / Country : Not so Great Britain

PostSubject: Re: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 8:35 am

claymore ..is it the force of the round hitting the ejector post that is knocking chunks from the rounds ??

If so then you need to increase the recoil spring pressure so the rounds hit the ejector at a slower rate ...
( or alter the rounds so they have a bit less back pressure )

DOC
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 11:57 am

claymore wrote:
Looks like you have that working really well, does it take chunks out of the rounds though as thats the problem with mine now, after about 5 firings the rims of the rounds have chunks missing and that causes ejection problems and i am still not absolutly certain what hits the round to casue that damage.

Hiya Claymore,

The rims aren't that bad to be honest. I checked them knowing how much trouble you've been getting and although the rims are marked, there's no serious damage or chips missing etc.

I use MGC .38Super cartridges and I'm sure you'll remember the hassle I had getting them to fit into the mag'.
The rims are wider in diameter than the cart. body so 8ace turned them down accordingly. They slip into the mag and slide along the track easily now.
Maybe the rims are stronger now their diameters are reduced?

Doc,

What would you suggest is the best way to reduce back pressure in the cartridge please? Would using Hudson type drilled pistons be the way with this or are there other tricks?

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London

PostSubject: Re: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 12:12 pm

cheers Doc i will have a look at doing that, i have already filed the ejector post so that it is no longer pointed but the damage still occurs, i also have used 38 super rounds as the base is thicker than the normal ppsh rounds but even with a thicker base the rounds get mashed.
Back to top Go down
kickback
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
kickback

Number of posts : 338
Location / Country : UK.Cambridgeshire
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 12:26 pm

Cerwyn,
you have outdone yourself this time mate Surprised ,that video is absolutley great Shocked ,it looks and sounds like you must have spend bloody days getting it to us all to enjoy Very Happy Very Happy Thank you.
Yet again it does show that the Hudson modelguns,once sorted out can fire just as good as the rest of them.

Keep them comming mate Cool
Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 12:44 pm

kickback wrote:
Cerwyn,
you have outdone yourself this time mate Surprised ,that video is absolutley great Shocked ,it looks and sounds like you must have spend bloody days getting it to us all to enjoy Very Happy Very Happy Thank you.
Yet again it does show that the Hudson modelguns,once sorted out can fire just as good as the rest of them.

Keep them comming mate Cool
Kickback

Thanks Mate, you're right, this one did take a long time to get sorted mainly due to the gun having to be stripped and cleaned after every magazine. There has to be a way of making it run longer before gumming up?
Trying to decide which gun to film next now Very Happy Very Happy (Carol will be pleased Rolling Eyes )

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*   Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW* Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hudson's PPSh-41 *NEW*
Page 1 of 1