MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2555
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Empty
PostSubject: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:54 pm

****Originally posted by october****

i would guess that the photo you show, was not "taken in the moment".
the reason i think this is because, the slide moves so fast when the shell is ejected that the slide would be blurred in the photo. as fast as it moves i dont think you would be able to capture the slide as still and in focus as it is in that picture without any kind of motion blur. i think they probably just had the slide locked open and photoshopped the case in later. the motion blur on the case looks a little funny, almost like they added it after the photo was taken. also why would there be so much blur on the case and none on the slide?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:54 pm

****Originally posted by illuminati****

As october said, it looks as though it was a mock up, "but" it is possible and quite easy, if you've got the right camera.

Most of todays digital cameras have a fast shutter option (those in a reasonable price region anyway) and that would be how you'd take photo's like that, a lot have an option to take several photos in quick succession, quicker than you'd take them yourself.

Hope thats of some help.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 pm

****Originally posted by mark****

Ah, but, if you video tape the shot, you can "capture" the picture very easily. Although, it does take some effort to get it right.

Also, a high speed camera with a sound activated switch could easily catch the action...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 pm

The picture in the MGC add (on the bottom) was definately taken with a high speed camera and a sound activated switch.
I can't imagine any other method being used to take the picture.

Oh, by the way, notice that MGC has the Beretta trademarks I wonder did they get permission from Beretta to use their trade marks? I thought that Western Arms had the rights to the Beretta trademarks. Perhaps Beretta licensed their name to both MGC and Western Arms?

If so, why didn't Marushin get into the act and obtain the rights too? Maybe there is a small "war" going on for the exclusive rights to the trademarks?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:57 pm

****Originally posted by claymore****

When i get the time (and not sure when that will be) i will play around with videoing then taking a snap shot.
However i think all the pics you see are photoshopped i really dont think they would spend time trying to capture the pic when you could do a better job on the good old pc.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:58 pm

Yep, i agree they would make good pics, i am pretty busy at the moment but i will have ago soonest, using the cam corder and then taking snp shots would really be the only method i could use, i have a good 35mm cam but i dont think it is capable of that kind of shot and neither am i. So the video is the best bet.

No promises
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:59 pm

here are a couple of stills from a video i made yesterday...
How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Stillgun1How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Stillgun2
How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Stillgun3How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Stillgun4
How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Stillgun5How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Stillgun6
the one on the upper left has magnesium, the rest are plain.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:00 pm

Hey, october! those are cool pictures! Say, do you have any web space available that you could post your video? if not, you could send me your video and I can put it up on my site..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:00 pm

i dont know how to post videos...(this is weak, seeing as i am a filmmaker and edit etc.)
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

october, excellent pics mate, right thats it cannot be outdone will now have to have to take a vid of several of my models, just dont think they will come out that well somehow.

I to am unsure how to post video. My web space would be with aol and they are not campatable with this site (i have to use mozilla to post my stuff and photobucket for the pics) dont know why aol gives me those problems.

How would we send a vid to you Mark as the file size may be to big to send on an e-mail, i have tried with aol before and they will not send large files.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:01 pm

****Originally posted by tancor****

Hey October,

Nice screen grabs, I was planning on doing some captures like that tomorrow.

I'm curious what you use for editing software, but it's really not on topic, but I do editing on the side, and I always wonder what other people use.

-Tony
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:01 pm

right now i've been using Vegas 4. thats what i grabbed these stills with.
the camera is a Canon XL1s mini DV. it has a "frame mode" where it takes 30 frames a sec. to try to emulate the look of motion picture film. (movies run at 24 frames p/sec.)

claymore: the video would probably have to be compressed alot to be able to email it. i've emailed 30 sec. clips before in quicktime format, though the quality can severely drop depending on what file formats are used and how much they are compressed. also, check to see what your file size limit is and i will try to find out what would be the best compression to use.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:02 pm

I've never used vegas. I always wanted a XL1 to try - I had never heard of that particular mode you are speaking of as any different then a normal video camera recording rate, but now I'm really curious. I recently sold two DSR200's (one a 200a), as I wasn't doing all that much taping work any more, mostly just post, plus my cameras (and my m84) got kind of beat up a bit when I loaned them out. (I know about frame rates been editing video on and off for 'bout 10 years now, mostly small stuff for individuals - nothing I could really make a career out of, although I think it would have been fun had I been able to... If this is the field you are into for and are making a living (or are going into, no idea your age) I envy you.) [slightly edited to add in stuff I was thinking but never put down originally]

I currently use Liquid Edition 6 pro. nice package, little quirky but powerful. that's what I was going to use to grab some frames from D8 since that's all I really have left atm.

Who knows, maybe next year (still have more model guns I want to get I'll spend money on a new camera!

-Tony
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:02 pm

Tried to take some video frame extracts today, but it did not work to well or rather the vid was fine and the editing software seems fine (roxio media 7) note expensive software i know but its fine for my normal vids.

capturing the image was fine but the image of the round coming out is very blurred and you cannot tell what it is really. I looked to see if the camera would record in slow mo but it doesn't, not sure that would work anyway. I dont seem to have the facility to increase frame rate but i can adjust the shutter speed which might help.

I will keep on trying but the pics so far are not worth putting on the forum, especially with octobers on site i think we will be hard pushed to equal that quality.

Thanks on the advice for compressing the vid october, i am on aol and to be honest they have a big limitation on file size i will keep playing around and see what i can come up with.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:03 pm

****Originally posted by radback****

The XL1 and XM1 and XM2 (or GL for US market) cameras have a frame mode wich is a trick from Canon to emulate progressive mode.
The result is a better look (less video, a little more film like).
Theses are the best DV cameras because of this frame mode (but now the XL2 and the pana AXDV100 offer a real progressive mode)

End of off topic
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:04 pm

ejecting shell...

Here was my second attempt, my first the shell didn't get ejected - this was the last of the two loaded rounds I had setup before the ejector snapped. I had 4 more rounds ready to try to get some better pictures...

I had hoped to get one coming all the way out, but oh well.

-T
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Tony, Your ejector snapped?? Man that's bad! what does the ejector look like in the Tanaka Sig? Perhaps, I can get a new one for you (or make one)

Nice picture though, I like how clear it is!

Anyways, let me know what you want to do about the broken ejector..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Thanks for the comments on the pic (extractor issue covered in problems ) I was really disappointed as I was just getting the timing down between firing and snapping the picture when it broke. Eventually I'll get it worked out

-Tony
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 pm

Tony,Have you decided what route you are taking on the broken extractor?

That is a "bummer"about the extractor! Hopefully, things will turn out fine.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 pm

Well,

First, I'm going to wait for 24-48 hours before attempting another disassembly in the hopes that Den will contact me with good news (ie: they'll replace the part, or replace the gun) - but if I don't hear from them, my next option is to attempt to figure out how to take it apart. I figure it couldn't hurt to wait a few days, it's not gonna get any more broken hehe.

-Tony
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Well, I hope that dentrinity will try to help you out..It would be great if they do though..

I wish that I could contact a better source for parts and service in Japan so we all can enjoy the hobby more..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Tony excellent pic, fraid my dig cam is just not up to taking that quality so i might have to forget taking any pics.

I also have had problems with breakages on many of my models, i am waiting for parts for a 50 eagle, a Kimber and my Tanaka USP.
The USP has had the barrel break 3 times and last time it jammed it split the top of the slide.

My Kimber barrels have broke 3 times and the last time the ejector snapped as well.

My luck with models breaking is not good. Spare parts are available for the newer models it just takes a long time for them to get through the system. I have emailed Den and endoshoji for spares before but never had a reply, fortunatly my supplier now is able to get my spares although it does take a long time to get them so i tend to order 2-3 at a time just in case.

If Mark can make a new extractor for you i would go that route i am sure that what he makes will be stronger.

Mark, if you do consider going into the modelgun business making upgraded spares would be an excellent selling point, stronger extractors etc would be highly sought after i would of thought and no one else is doing it as far as i know.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:06 pm

It's kind of strange that I haven't had any breakages on my modelguns. But I don't shoot them as much as you do, claymore!

Yes,modelguns have some very weak parts due of course, to Japanese law..It is too bad that the modelguns have to be weak but it is unfortunately,the law..

I have been fortunate in my lack of parts breakage but I am lucky I guess!

the spares problem has always been a problem to me as I always need cartridges,caps and accessories like magazines etc.

I have an Hudson Sten MK 2 that I bought with a broken receiver and it was an older version that used the older less efficient cartridges.

My old parts contact took a while to get the Hudson parts and they where expensive!

But, I ended up needing more parts to complete it and I can't get them now unless, I find another source..

I have a few modelgun products that I am working on, like the stainless steel Marushin chamber and a few other parts as well..

It's just a matter of time and machine tool jigs before I can make them in quanitity I wish that I had some CNC lathes so I could make tones of cartridges!

I would like to make upgraded modelgun barrels out of aluminum or upgraded plastic like polymer with metal re-enforcement safe, but tough.

But, I have to start small and I have to choose parts that are produceable with the tooling that I have available to me at the moment.

I suppose that I could invest in more equipment to produce more items..It's only money...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:07 pm

Yeah, i have had a lot of problems with models breaking, sometimes after only a couple of shots.

One big problem is my MGC automag 4th generation, the bolt extractor keeps breaking where the pin that holds the extractor goes in i am on my 4th extractor and i am now to nervous to fire it anymore.

Do you think it would be possible to make a metal or at least stronger material bolt extractor for it?

I for one would be happy to put in a bit of investment into your tooling equipment if it meant being able to get upgraded parts.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi claymore,

Ok, the extractor on your auto-mag is the part that breaks, or is it the bolt?

If it's the extractor, I can possibly help if I could have some pictures of the parts that are broken and the new pieces and if you can, detailed measurements etc.

And possibly, I might need a sample sent to me so I could re-produce it..

If it's the bolt, that could be a problem as they are a fairly complicated part and would require very expensive tooling and equipment to re-produce correctly. Or, an earlier all metal bolt could be modified to work as I am trying now.

As for the tooling, I don't have a idea of what products yet to make beyond the few that I have in the works at the moment.

I have already bought some new equipment and I am waiting on new tooling to arrive as it is on back order..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?   How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to take photo catching ejecting cartridge when firing ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next