MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ABS how real?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dollanganger
Dollanganger

Number of posts : 33
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2009-06-30

ABS how real? Empty
PostSubject: ABS how real?   ABS how real? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 5:08 pm

I have no experience with ABS. My Marushin Uzi is zinc and has a realistic steel feel and weight to it. It can also be polished, finished, cold blued, exedra just like real steel.

My Auto Mag .44 by MGC is some type of strong plastic which looks like chrome steel but has the weight and steel of plastic.

ABS seems to be what all the model makers are switching over to. How much like real steel is ABS. Is it strong and chip and break resistant?

It’s heavy but is it anywhere near the weight of steel?

Does it feel like hard metal or plastic or aluminum?
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

ABS how real? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS how real?   ABS how real? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 5:47 pm

ABS is just a smooth shiny plastic ;-) It feels like plastic, warm to touch, it is light, but it is also quite stress-durable/flexible.

HW is "heavyweight" ABS, plastic mixed with metal dust (powdered zinc, if I remember correctly). It looks more like steel, has a different surface. It feels more like metal than ABS, colder to touch, and heavier, too. Not as heavy or cold as real metal of course. It also seems to be more brittle (due to plastic-metal composition) and thus less durable.

Initially models were made with ABS (let's forget metal models for a moment ;-), but to provide more realistic fell/weight it seems that makers moved to HW.

As far as I can say, ABS models feel like child toys, HW is much, much better. For example Marushin Browning made of ABS is so light (500g?) that it doesn't fell good at all. ABS Marushin P-38 has many metal inserts to make it heavier, but it still looks plastic-shiny. HW models are somewhat closer to real weight and do not look so shiny on surface.

Both ABS and HW are nowhere near metal if you compare it directly.

I do not fire models enough to get them damaged/broken so far, except for frame rails of HW MGC 1911 - but it was with triple cap carts, so it doesn't count ;-)
Back to top Go down
Dollanganger
Dollanganger

ABS how real? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS how real?   ABS how real? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 2:42 am

Just got back from the Airsoft store. The ABS shown to me was probably not HW since it seemed no different than normal plastic. Hammermill and Valspar make some great enamel that will bond solidly, including metallic. There is no gloss or seal needed. Far better than model paint. They look great for photos but up close the light does not change colors the same way.

Black ABS may work well with some guns, but others just don’t look right without that oil rubbed metallic sheen.

I just picked up a Classic Army AEG MP5. The Classic Army I’d seen at a gunshow was an older model.

I told the Airsoft salesman about my plan to build a model HK94. (a topic of an old post) The only problem he fore was opening up the bolt and removing the motor. It’s something I may just have to live with or drill out.

Overall the gun is the best base for my model. I will order a barrel shroud and 1980s foregrip from Gunbroker.com

The Classic Army has the classic HK selector and metal receiver with space on top for the “HK94” markings I will add. The words “Chantilly VA” also needed to be added. (Ironically I’m writing from Chantilly VA where the HK94s were actually assembled and some legally converted to full auto)

ABS how real? Chanti10

Classic Army’s magazine and well are larger than most Airsoft MP5s. Buying a real MP5 9mm mag I found was surprisingly wide. I will attempt to combine the two for a realistic look.

I will also need to add the markings that this is for “Government Use Only.” Many MP5 mags bare this marking due to the assault weapons ban in the 1990s. They’re thankfully now legal. These photos are from a real HK94.

ABS how real? Hk_mag10

ABS how real? 94_210

ABS how real? 94_mar10

ABS how real? Chanti11

ABS how real? Pix27911
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

ABS how real? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS how real?   ABS how real? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 10:39 am

This sounds like an interesting project, Hk MP5 and it's derivatives have been the subject of attention before as regards conversion from Airsoft model to an accurate replica firing pfc cartridges.

Maybe this thread might help:- https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-modifications-f7/mp5-conversion-t639.htm

Not the easiest conversion in the World, but it has been done.

As smootik said, abs is nowhere near steel in either appearance nor "feel". Some abs pistols are extremely light and although well detailed and accurate models, still feel and look like plastic.
ABS doesn't necessarily mean a poor firing gun though, Marushin's abs MP40 is a superb and reliable firing modelgun. MGC's steel version does look better, sounds better, and fires slower but the abs gun has given me 5 years of reliable consistent fun.
I do prefer

the steel MGC model but don't fire it as often as spare parts are very scarce nowadays. Even though the recievers are steel, the bolt is Zinc Alloy which can also crack and break.

HW abs does make a better looking model than standard abs. It is heavier, duller in finish, and sounds denser. It has an amount of metalic content which does make it feel colder to the touch (as would metal)
The downside, however, is that HW abs can be rather brittle and can break.

I'll be interested to see more of the paints you mentioned, Hammermill and Valspar...
If they can produce a good metallic finish I've a Hudson M3A1 Grease Gun made from abs that would benefit from a lick of decent paint.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Dollanganger
Dollanganger

ABS how real? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS how real?   ABS how real? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Damn! I don’t think anyone will be able to top this guy’s PFC.

As expected he stated that real MP5 mags are much wider than any airsoft, thus, many adjustments.

I hope to use the metal shell of the airsoft mag and replace it with the spring and top piece of the real 9mm mag. Only the top piece will have to be filed down.

The Marushin Uzi is the only PFC or airsoft I know of which can take real mags.

He built his own bolt! Few people would have the equipment or machining skills to do this.

I am not going to buy an expensive MP5 bolt since it probably wouldn’t fit. Real bolts are better than PFCs. They eject the shell a lot easier without locking up.

I am also not going to buy an expensive real MP5 barrel. Since I am using a real HK94 shroud the wait and feel will be real. I will probably just add a plastic tube as the barrel. Any cheep real barrel would have the realistic rifling which PFCs lack. However attaching a heavy barrel would make the gun very fragile.

I plan to attach the shroud by jerry rigging it over the metal airsoft flash hider.

A nice touch with this guy’s are the shiny metal scraping along the receiver.

I’m not sure what color shades I want mine to be yet. A real MP5 has a very unique look. The mental receiver is a shinny dark grey, like titanium, while most of the rest of the gun is covered by flat black plastic pieces.

On a cheap airsoft I tried to replicate this with great success. I used Taymia’s ‘Smoke’ watered down by 25%. Three coats of gloss later it looked perfect. But that was on plastic. Model paints don’t work to well on metal.

The best enamels are made by Rust-Oleum. (sorry I said “Hammermill” before.) They’ll bond tuff to metal or plastic and will never rub off. No sealer needed! I recommend their “Hammered” line in black or dark gray to create a parkalized look. Use 2 or 3 thin coats, with 2 hours to dry between each.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

ABS how real? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS how real?   ABS how real? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 10:21 am

Spencerman's MP5 project certainly was a monumental task. We haven't heard from him in awhile now, it'd be good to learn how he got on with it.

The possibility of using real gun parts such as bolts and barrels would depend on the Laws of whichever Country you're living in. I am certain their use in the UK is illegal and would probably result in a long stay "At Her Majesty's Pleasure".
I gather US States have differing Laws regarding their availability and use?

Modelgun manufacturers these days have to make absolutely certain that anything they produce cannot and will not ever fire a "Live" round. The use of steel in model production was stopped in the '70s, if metal is used now, it's going to be soft Zinc Alloy with plugged barrels.
ABS and HWabs makes a good model, incapable of firing live rounds.

I'm sure there's no need to tell you to make absolutely certain you're building a replica or model that is well within Legal boundaries wherever you live ABS how real? Icon_wink You wouldn't want the local Armed Response Team or SWAT squad turning up and shooting you because you're creation was just that TOO realistic looking ABS how real? Icon_exclaim

Thanks for the tips regarding these paint finishes, have you any photos of models you've fnished like this please ABS how real? Icon_question

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

ABS how real? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS how real?   ABS how real? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:02 am

Just a quick post to say Homebase stores in the UK now carry the full range of Rust-oleum paints, had a look at them yesterday in store and they do look good, their main marketing claim is "the worlds first all-surface decorative spray paint" ~£7.50 for 150ml can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ABS how real? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS how real?   ABS how real? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABS how real?
Page 1 of 1