MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Empty
PostSubject: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Post by reemo

Hi guys
Picked up an MGC Thompson that is an early type - and unfortunately, the spring steel extractor is gone .....

Im SURE that somebody out there has done a repro of this part or perhaps Francky (To the rescue!) can scare up an original part.

Can anybody help me with this part?
Thanks in advance guys!

REEMO
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:14 pm

Post by Claymore

The new type bolt will fit with a little bit of adjustment (take a bit of metal off) mark has done this with his and i am going to do it with mine. Francky can get you the bolt.
It will work fine with the new bolt
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:14 pm

Post by reemo

Hi claymore!

Thanks for the reply!

I bought a new bolt from Francky for another gun.

This one is fine except for the spring steel piece and screw being gone - would a real Thompson extractor work? Its a 10.00 part in the "real steel world".

If somebody knows for sure, I woyld thank them!

Id like to keep this gun all original if I could, and keep that spare bolt for a rainy day MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_wink
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Post by Claymore

Mark or Francky would know this i would think. i mention the new type bolt as i think that has a better extractor system than the old sprung one + the old one may be difficult to find and with a new bolt if you need a spare extractor then no probs if you get an old one and it goes again more probs.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Post by Mark

The old "paper cap" cartridge extractor really isn't a very efficient extractor and it usually didn't work or last very long...claymore is right, the new extractor is far better and replacement parts are available. The older bolt is better left for display only..I have one of these older bolts which of course, i have replaced with a newer "CP" type, new-production, bolt. My original bolt wasn't cut at an angle, but, the extractor was just a fake strip of sheet metal that was held in place with a screw.

So, your best bet is to get a new production MGC bolt from Francky and fit it to your receiver as they really are so much better than the original bolt...

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Post by reemo

mark wrote:
The old "paper cap" cartridge extractor really isn't a very efficient extractor and it usually didn't work or last very long...claymore is right, the new extractor is far better and replacement parts are available. The older bolt is better left for display only..I have one of these older bolts which of course, i have replaced with a newer "CP" type, new-production, bolt. My original bolt wasn't cut at an angle, but, the extractor was just a fake strip of sheet metal that was held in place with a screw.
So, your best bet is to get a new production MGC bolt from Francky and fit it to your receiver as they really are so much better than the original bolt...

Hi Mark!
Thank you very much for your information and help - I sincerely appreciate it ; )
Can you answer for me 2 things?
On the early Thompson...Will the gun fire okay without the extractor spring? Meaning, will the shells make their way out the ejection port okay w/o jamming (Even if they simply spill to the ground rather than "flinging" out).
I wrote to a guy on the net that says his old gun has no spring either and his fired okay. I dont know.
And 2,....would you sell me your old bolt?? LOL! Or a photo of the spring steel ejector so I can copy from it. I have bits of spring steel sheeting that I can cut. I just need to see how fancy or simple it was.
I would imagine a long "L-shaped" piece............simple 90 degree bend at the end.
Please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:17 pm

Post by Mark

Well, i know that some real pistols (like the Beretta Minx and Jetfire) don't even have an extractor due to that they have a "popup" barrel and having an extractor would merely get in the way. As for the MGC Thompson working with out an extractor, that, i really don't have an answer for as i have yet to try it myself..

I really don't need this older bolt but, it might be needed in the future..I will see if i can post pictures of the bolt and extractor...

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Post by Mark

Hi Reemo,
Albeit late, since you received the new CP bolt already....But, for the people that haven't seen what-i-refer to as the type one, un-cut bolt face, display only, MGC Thompson bolt/extractor..

MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem MGCThompson006
I also have a CP extractor in the picture to show the difference of the extractors depth and other differences..So, as you can see, it's far better to fit a new-production, MGC CP style bolt instead of trying to find an original paper cap type extractor...Note that the stamped steel, dummy extractor never had a "hook" on it from the factory...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Post by DOC

Here`s a photo of the early Steel extractor that was held in by a screw with no spring to keep tension.

http://freespace.virgin.net/kev.rachy/Modelgun%20parts/index.html

Incidentally these bolts can be milled out to fit the new CP extractor although drilling the bolt to fit the pin that holds the new extractor takes some skill to get right first time.

The new extractors also now have a flat top and not the ridge as shown in Marks photo

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Post by reemo

Hi Mark!

Thank you for the photos.

While waiting for you to post yours, I got a look at another early MGC Thompson bolt and extractor locally.

Like yours, it is thicker than I imagined - I envisioned spring steel (*thin*)

However, his had the 90 degree "hook" on the end - yours appears to be broken off (?)......is there still gold anodizing across the front edge? That might give you some clues.

He says his original (first type) bolt and extractor works just fine (Looks like a real Thompson piece)....

I would agree after viewing yours that the extractor is indeed USELESS.

I really believe it was broken or initentially cut off by the importer.

The good news? My gun fires just fine without the extractor! The shells fall to the ground rather than "fling" out the ejector port. But absolutely no jams.

I fired 20 rounds continuously - as smooth as a sewing machine. These old MGC's - no matter how beat they look - still work so well.

I'm happy MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_wink
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem   MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC Thompson (Early type)... Steel Extractor problem
Page 1 of 1