MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts Empty
PostSubject: How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts   How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 8:59 am

****Originally posted by metradio****

Ever scratched the frame on your favorite modelgun?? or took the blueing of the head of a screw?? or got hold of a second hand modelgun that is badly in need of a reblueing??

The following link shows you how to reblue a steel rifle, but the reblueing works nearly as well on zinc..

http://www.surplusrifle.com/carbinenagant/reblue/index.asp

All I would add is:
Unless the parts are really greasy, washing liquid and hot water work well.
After washing the parts dry them with a hair dryer, then a wipe over with a cotton swab soaked in Dry Cleaning fluid - Then blue the parts..
After blueing, silicone oil can be used in the place of gun oil..
For small items, a cotton bud can be used to apply dry cleaning fluid or reblueing solution..

DO NOT allow freshly blued parts to stand for more than 30 seconds before washing them in water, otherwise the blueing goes blotchy on the surface..

The reblueing fluid will NOT work on plastic, stainless steel, plated surfaces, aluminum or wood

being in the UK I get reblueing fluid, mail order from:

www.euroguns.co.uk
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts   How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 9:00 am

****Originally posted by claymore****

Thanks for the info on that i have wondered about re-blueing for a while. years ago my brother did blue a knife and it came out OK, i have wondered about blueing a chrome gun that is if the blueing would take.

On the same note but not re-blueing i have an uzi that needs some TLC the bare metal is showing on many areas so does anyone have suggestions on what is the best way to make it look pristine again taking into consideration the gun is not blued but a matt black
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts   How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 9:00 am

****Originally posted by metrodio****

Quote :
Thanks for the info on that i have wondered about re-blueing for a while. years ago my brother did blue a knife and it came out OK, i have wondered about blueing a chrome gun that is if the blueing would take.

Sorry Claymore the blueing would not take to the chrome plating..

Quote :
On the same note but not re-blueing i have an uzi that needs some TLC the bare metal is showing on many areas so does anyone have suggestions on what is the best way to make it look pristine again taking into consideration the gun is not blued but a matt black

On steel the blueing will come up as a dark blue/black colour with a slightly satin finish, but on zinc it wll come up a matt black finish..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts   How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 9:01 am

****Originally posted by kickback****

Hi Claymore,

with regards to your uzi i found a similar product:- birchwood casey aluminum black,and it worked great,using the same tachnique as laid out by metradio.but as metradio stressed don't leave it on for too long as i did, boy was it a pain having to remove it all! and start again.

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts   How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to reblue steel/zinc modelgun parts
Page 1 of 1