MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Empty
PostSubject: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:10 pm

*** Originally posted by doc ***

Ok This sort of thing is waaaaaay off at the moment , especially with the Stens now in production. (handbuilt slowly)

However its about time to think of the future and what would make a new project to work on.

I am not talking whole guns sadly as The VCR bill in the UK will put a stop to any replicas being produced that cannot be associated with WW2 re-enactment. (my theory and not law yet)
So no MP5s then.....

Aside from this though it looks as if the VCR bill will still allow the sale of "spare parts" so you can keep your replicas functioning.
With this in mind I was wondering if any of you chaps had modelgun parts in mind that would make a nice project.

The criteria will have to be :
1. how many are likely to be sold
2. what profit related to man hours is there.

If I can get a list of the most favourable I can bring it up during the next board (spelt ... PUB ) meeting

DOC
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:10 pm

*** Originally posted by reemo ***

Metal barrels for the MGC M1 Carbine and various metal barrels for the MGC Mp40.......that would be relatively easy and would be desirable (would sell).
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi Reemo.

MGCUK already do metal barrels for the MGC M1 carbine, albeit they are a very late war version with the bayonet lug attached .
Look on one of the MGC M1 carbine pages on the "metal barrels button"

Not sure anyone would want a metal barrel for the MGC MP40 as I`ve never seen an MGC MP40 barrel break (we use them for our 9mm blank firing guns in re-enacting)
I`ve also never seen an MGC MP40 for sale without the barrel.....
Why do you think these would sell ?

DOC
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:11 pm

*** Originally posted by madmike ***

Well, I´d like to have a custom made bolt for the Marushin M16/XM177 series as they seem to wear quickly and thus creating extraction problems. My XM177E2 kit is one year old but has its second bolt assembly, and it already starts to cause problems again.

What about a metal outer barrel for new MGC M4/M-725 carbines? The original plastic barrels start becoming wobbly when the gun was stripped down for cleaning some times.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:11 pm

*** Originally posted by mark ***

Ok, there is a very small list of items that I can think of at this moment:

1. Metal chambers for the Hudson M3A1's.

2. Metal replacement bolts for the MGC Sterlings.

3. Improved Hudson Sten bolts. (the feed ribs)

4. Steel MGC or Hudson Thompson bolts.

5. Metal MGC .45 barrels.

I will add others later.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

*** Originally posted by spencerman ***

I would say that it all depends on what sort of thing can be produced. It would be nice to see a better bolt for the xm177 or m16, and it would also be nice to see metal replacement barrels and parts for various 1911 pistols. From what I have read about the Hudson tommy gun, there would be a whole host of properly machined replacement parts needed there to make those actually fire. I think that they would all be pretty popular depending on practicality and cost.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:12 pm

*** Originally posted by gatling ***

Steel gears and spare parts for the Toy-tec miniguns. Well, it would probably not sell very well, but I would bought it for sure.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:12 pm

yes, the Marushin XM/M16 bolt would be a good idea, even if it was just the bolt head to go into the Marushin carrier but a working extractor would be nice ....

A better Bolt for the Hudson Sten...... sadly I can`t see this happening for some reason !!!

Personally I have never had a problem from ANY of my MGC Thompson bolts but this is a good possibilty as its a simple shape .

Metal MGC .45 barrels I like also ......

God if I won the lotto (unlikely as I have never bought a ticket ) I`d have him make a modelgun minigun and Francky could retire on the sales of cartridges alone !

good ideas, Keep `em coming chaps
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

I would take the job of loading the rounds and clening them afterwards, then I too can retire!
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Doc wrote:
Hi Reemo.

MGCUK already do metal barrels for the MGC M1 carbine, albeit they are a very late war version with the bayonet lug attached .
Look on one of the MGC M1 carbine pages on the "metal barrels button"

Not sure anyone would want a metal barrel for the MGC MP40 as I`ve never seen an MGC MP40 barrel break (we use them for our 9mm blank firing guns in re-enacting)
I`ve also never seen an MGC MP40 for sale without the barrel.....
Why do you think these would sell ?

DOC

So somebody did a MGC M1 Carbine barrel - SMART!

Mp40 barrels......do a modern vented barrel. Dont the MGC Mp40s come vented and unvented? A retrofit vented barrel would be great for those with "unopen" barrels.

Also (for the 9mm blank conversion) a new barrel/trunion so one wouldnt have to scrounge a real barrel in its place. I have seen only two 9mm conversions in the states (illegal for the most part here in the USA) and both used real barrels - to make use of the breech end.

Real MP40 barrels in the states top 500.00 easily. I dont know what they go for in the UK......if they are plentiful and cheap, then a repro barrel isnt needed.

While you are at it, a new barrel nut for the MP40 that matches the real one. The MGC version is odd.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:13 pm

*** Originally posted by claymore ***

I agree with mark's list the Hudson thompson bolt is a definate that needs to be steel as the bolt face gets destroyed pretty quick MGC 45 barrels a definate must for me and i would add these

Uzi bolt, most of use have or will get one of these models and new bolts would be a godsend especially tougher ones, also better extractors and replacement detonator pins for the marushin round and the mgc sig 220 rounds (which is a better round anyway).

PPSH bolt, the feed prongs break way to easy

Metal chambers for the marushin mp40 and these would fit metal nakata etc

Spare ejectors and detonator pins for a multitude of modelguns

I can think of loads more but will keep it at this for the MO
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:14 pm

*** Originally posted by gz22 ***

I would very much like a metal slide & barrel for the Tanaka Glock 17.

Would anyone else like this too?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:14 pm

*** Originally posted by ldr ***

How about all the parts for a G36!
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Reemo, to date I have not seen an MGC MP40 with a solid barrel .
All of mine are open ,all the ones I have seen used are open.
Not sure what market the solid barrels were made for ...Marks the MP40 expert here ?

(PM me about BF MP40 parts so we don`t clog up this thread)

In answer to your question :
We are not allowed real MP40 barrels in the UK, the only way you will have one is if its welded to your deactivated MP40, either that or you have a live one on a section 5 ticket (you have to be an armourer or registered firearms dealer for one of these.)

I`ll look into a barrel for the MP though as its a simple enough shape and we can use the front sight from the Marushin mp40 kit.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:15 pm

*** Originally posted by mark ***

Reemo, to date I have not seen an MGC MP40 with a solid barrel .
All of mine are open ,all the ones I have seen used are open.
Not sure what market the solid barrels were made for ...Marks the MP40 expert here ?

(PM me about BF MP40 parts so we don`t clog up this thread)

In answer to your question :
We are not allowed real MP40 barrels in the UK, the only way you will have one is if its welded to your deactivated MP40, either that or you have a live one on a section 5 ticket (you have to be an armourer or registered firearms dealer for one of these.)

I`ll look into a barrel for the MP though as its a simple enough shape and we can use the front sight from the Marushin mp40 kit.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:15 pm

I owned 2 MP40's....both were plugged/non firing.

I just bought another one (dont have it yet) so Im crossing my fingers,...... but expect to see another plugged barrel.

It would be nice to know there was a kit to convert them back to firing.......what a RELIEF that would be!!
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

*** Originally posted by cerwyn ***

Hiya Doc,

MGC Thompson Bolts definately please. The striking face on zinc ones damages far too readily, as Claymore pointed out. The zinc replacements are relatively cheap at £29 or so but a steel one would surely last better?
I've been trying to draw one up but can't get anyone to undertake the project around here... mention bolts and model guns and people go a bit pale!

Reemo... I believe that real MP40 parts including firing pins etc are available from
http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/145_104?osCsid=8b4e9200dd743025a94a892cc479136c
this link opens display machine gun parts but the rest of the site's extensive. I don't know about US Law regarding selling parts but you never know your luck?

Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:16 pm

I`ve spoken to the chaps, and shown them my drawings.
It seems the MGC Thompson Bolt and also (surpisingly) the MGC 1911 barrel may be viable .... May be ....

question is now, what sort of value would people be prepared to pay for them.
Yes I know people will think oooh £5 ($10) sounds nice but this is simply not going to happen as each one will be custom/hand made .

I`m just trying to get a feel for a reasonable value so it can pe put forward and then they may make a test example of each.

If you would be interested in either then please post what value you think you`d be prepared to pay and we`ll go from there .

I`m still working on a better design for the Marushin M16 bolt head.

DOC
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:16 pm

*** Originally posted by claymore ***

Have you got any guidline price Doc as its difficult to say how much i would be willing to pay. My last hudson bolt was around £50 so i would be willing to pay that and maybe a bit more for a good bolt, the mgc bolts are cheaper and last longer but i would still be happy to pay for a steel one.
A metal barrel for a 45 £30 to £40 maybe, i really am not sure, i know that tooling, materials and time mean parts would not be cheap. In the end i doubt price would stop me buying unless really stupidly expensive.

Would the Hudson bolt be possible as it really could do with being steel and again mate the uzi bolt i think that would be a big seller as you cant get a spare to save your life.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:17 pm

*** Originally posted by kickback ***

I've got to agree with Claymore..UZI BOLTS..ARE A MUST HAVE! and i would pay good money for a steel one.

Kickback
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Machining costs are the big part as he works at £20 per hour so my bolt design will hopefully cut down the machining costs and have them as pre fabricated parts to weld together. This drops the weight as well.
Welding is cheaper than machining .

I`d like to think they could sell for £70-£80 however this is only my guess and its not been suggested yet .

incidentally I was reading on our re-enacting forum the other day that some of the US / Brit re-enactors are having a barrel bushing re-made for their Bruni Colt 1911s, the estimate for those was £50 and there were plenty of people interested and that`s a dead simple part to make in comparison.

Yep Hudson Bolts would be possible as well although I dont know how much demand there would be for them compared to the MGC ones.

I`ve also asked him about a one off Sterling bolt

Not thought about Uzi bolts yet but I dare say it would be easier to just make the small removable part that is the bolt face /extractor ect.
A complete Steel Uzi bolt would need lots of machining to drop the weight and you are back to the old Machining costs money thing.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:18 pm

The MGC Thompson bolt assembly is available (in zinc) for about £29
I've had to replace one, but I don't know how long the replacement will last... depends on use of course but will it be 12 months, or 5 years?
Steel should last a lot longer but to be economical it would have to outlast zinc twice over to be worth spending £50 or £60 wouldn't it?
I'd thought about trying to make a steel end cap to fit over the striking face of the zinc bolt, or even making a steel front half of the bolt. Thinking here that the original front shaft could be cut off, the bolt body drilled and tapped to accept a steel shaft.
Would that sort of thing be cheaper to produce than a complete steel bolt?
Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Hi Cerwyn.

A steel one would outlast the rest of the gun no question.
once bought you wouldn`t have to replace it again regardless of how many times you fired it.

In my eyes a steel cap to fit over the end would simply not work.
Again if you just made the front section in steel it would not be possible to drill and tap the zinc bolt body to fit it. It may indeed fit but after a handful of shots the joint would become loose and it would fall apart, this is because the part you are talking about ataching it to is not very thick so would only have a couple of threads. Once worn and broken you are back to square one and you will have wasted money.
It would all have to be steel and then welded together to provide a solid durable part.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:19 pm

Hiya Doc

Yep, that makes sense, I hadn't got as far as measuring the zinc body of the bolt to guage potential thread depth etc.
Sounds like All Steel's the answer then...

Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:19 pm

With reguards to the barrel, I would agree with Claymore a lot, and say that I would expect one to cost around £30 - £40, but that would not be a dead end price. At the end of the day it is a quality issue more than price, as Claymore said, unless ridiculously high. If it means that the barrel is not only of great quality (which I am sure that it would be), but also realistic within the realms of not solid, hopefully without that silly bar across the end, the correct thickness (or near enough, so as not to have a 3mm hole at the end, or not to be wafer thin), and hopefully with model collectors in mind, so that perhaps the pin can be easily removed for cleaning, and possibly exchanged for the dummy cartridge chamber to accomodate dummy rounds. Also choice of finish, chrome, matt chrome, blue or parkerised? The correct stampings?

All of these aspects would affect the price, and if you said that here is a great barrel that has dummy rifling etc etc etc, and it will cost £80 then that may also be just fine. I know that it may be early days yet, but I am sure that if you said it is looking likely that a barrel or a bolt would cost x amount would you be interested, then you will find out. A decent quality custom made part is always preferable to a cheap replacement.

With reguards to the Hudson bolts, I would have thought that there would be tons more interest in those than the mgc ones as none of the Hudson guns work using standard Hudson parts!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.   What other modelgun parts would people like custom made. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What other modelgun parts would people like custom made.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next