MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...

Go down 
+2
8ace
BadBean
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BadBean
BadBean

Number of posts : 82
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2009-12-15

Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Empty
PostSubject: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi!

I have a similar problem like yellow posted in an old threat, yet not the same... so I decided to open e new one...

As I tried my WaShan M9 on FullAuto the first time, not only shells flew away from my gun, the fire selector switch did as well xD

Now I really have no idea how to fix it, the parts I got are on the picture below.
Meanwhile I found the screw that connects the fire selector to the slide... BUT IT JUST WONT STAY IN !

PLUS to that, when I removed the slide, ANOTHER piece just fell out of the slide... Its the piece below on the picture...
Where is THAT one supposed to be?
I am clueless...
And a bit dissapointed...

Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Dsc06844 Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... W2048

Do the Washan owners also have the problem, that most of the time you fire on semi, not one shell is fired, but TWO ?
Any idea how to fix that?

any idea how to fix anything on my M9 ?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Badbean,

Yep the fire selector screw is a common problem which I have repaired a few No If I remember the screw is an M2.5 thread but it very easily strips the zinc thread in the selector. My repair was to add a steel insert into the selector and re-tap so the screw fit into a steel thread.

Not sure what the other piece is though scratch

8ace
Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:29 pm

So the selector screw is a common problem....

Could you post a photo of your solution? To specify your method?

You think using glue would be a useful idea?
Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Well, I finally found out what that unknown part is...

You see it in the picture below glued to the body.
Unfortunately it wont stick to it, one shot and it breaks again...

So that little piece of s*** just broke off while fireing, in the same time as the fire selector...

Am I just unlucky, or are the WaShans commonly fragile?
I thought about buying a new one but... not sure if they are that breakable...

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img294/8706/dsc06845i.jpg

Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Dsc06845i
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 8:21 am

Sadly I don’t have it anymore so I can’t post any pictures but I’ll try to get hold of one of the others I have repaired to see if the owner will post them for me.

As with all modelguns you have to take a chance with the quality of the castings No some break just by looking at them and some last a lifetime scratch . Luckily Wa Shan are not closing down so spares shouldn't be a problem Very Happy

8ace
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:27 am

I'm sorry to hear you've had a disastrous weekend my friend. Sadly, we all experience breakeages at some time or other. I still haven't fully recovered after my Hudson PPSh41 decided to snap in half.

The WaShan fire-selector switch is a very common problem and IS repairable. Mine did exactly the same as yours and is discussed along with yellow's slightly different problem here:

https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-problems-f5/washan-m9-dolphin-fire-selector-broken-t1814-15.htm#13295

The screw holding the switch to the slide doesn't really have enough thread length to hold firm. You're tightening this screw against a spring too. Overtighten and the slide won't rack back, have it slightly too tight you can't adjust from Semi to Auto so you have to leave it just slightly loose.
Fire the gun in Auto and vibration soon loosens the screw right off and it just flies off with the spring.
Repeated tightening and removal of the screw soon damages the thread in the slide too so before long there's no thread for the screw to tighten into.

8ace repaired mine. He drilled out the old damaged thread,enlarged the hole's diameter and pressed a steel insert to plug the hole.
Next steps were to re-drill the hole, and tap a thread into the steel insert at correct diameter.
The screw was in good condition so could be re-used.

The repair has been totally successful, it's better than WaShan's design as there's a deeper thread but as it's steel into steel now rather than steel into Zinc, it's a lot stronger.

You mentioned 2 cartridges being ejected in Semi Auto... are both being fired Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_question If NOT, if it's one fired but 2 ejected, I'd look to the magazine's feed lips. Perhaps they're slightly wide allowing the mag spring to throw 2 out in the time it takes the slide to slide back and forth

I hope this helps for now my friend
Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_question

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:03 pm

BadBean wrote:
Do the Washan owners also have the problem, that most of the time you fire on semi, not one shell is fired, but TWO ?
I had similar problem with Marushin P38. After one pull of trigger two shots were fired,
because when second cartridge was loaded to chamber, it was ignited. Returning slide
pushed cartridge already on detonator pin. Sometimes this P38 fires also when you just
"rack" slide, which means something is wrong there. Maybe extractor does not catch
cartridge rim, but pushes it from back? Maybe cartridge is loaded wrong.
I've put this problems in my review.

It does not solve your problem, but at least you know it is happening not only to WaShan ;-)

One idea to see what is happening is to take used caps, and put a bit of plasticine inside.
I would then cycle cartridges manually, without pulling trigger, to see if there is impression
in plasticine - that would mean that even with manual cycling detonator pin hits cap,
which should not happen.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:53 pm

smootik wrote:
BadBean wrote:
I had similar problem with Marushin P38. After one pull of trigger two shots were fired,
because when second cartridge was loaded to chamber, it was ignited. Returning slide
pushed cartridge already on detonator pin. Sometimes this P38 fires also when you just
"rack" slide, which means something is wrong there. Maybe extractor does not catch
cartridge rim, but pushes it from back? Maybe cartridge is loaded wrong.
I've put this problems in my review.

It does not solve your problem, but at least you know it is happening not only to WaShan ;-)

One idea to see what is happening is to take used caps, and put a bit of plasticine inside.
I would then cycle cartridges manually, without pulling trigger, to see if there is impression
in plasticine - that would mean that even with manual cycling detonator pin hits cap,
which should not happen.

I'm not sure if the plasticine idea would work here smootik. Problem is this, when the cartridge is stripped, the primer has to be pushed with the loading tool. The primer travels up into the cartridge, pushes the cap up into the piston and its' firing pin.
The 3 components then travel up and out of the casing together. The plasticine would be marked during this process.

Badbean, does this double firing happen with Disposable cartridges, Re-useables, or Both Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_question
Does it always happen, or only sometimes Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_question

WaShan M9s have a fixed Detonator Pin in the barrel so it is not likely it's been positioned incorrectly after cleaning. If a Det. Pin isn't pushed down far enough into the barrel or chamber it'll push the piston into the cap when the slide closes, before the trigger's pulled most times.
WaShan Det.Pins do have a hardened tip. These can fall out, making it impossible to fire the gun when he trigger's pulled. Is your pin's tip loose? Could it be on it's way out making the pin effectively longer?

If this only happens sometimes, and only with 2 rounds firing, not 3, smootik's suggestion that the extractor isn't clipping over the rim but pushing from the rear sounds very promising. If this is the case, then the first round chambered fires when the trigger's pulled, blowsback, ejects and the second round is chambered as you would expect. Does the second cartridge extract and eject cleanly?
Or does it stay in the chamber or jams the slide by dropping onto the next round in the magazine?

The extractor should pivot out sideways against spring pressure. Dirt or gummed up oil can make it sticky. This movement can be checked easily by using your finger to try pulling it gently away from the slide. There's an indicator marked on the top face of the extractor, this is a red painted dot on Marushin's M9 but plain black on my own WaShan.
When the slide's closed, and a round in the chamber, the red indicator can be seen as the extractor sticks out slightly away from the slide.

Using cartridges loaded with dead, fired caps, put 2 or 3 in the magazine and rack the slide to chamber the first round. If all's well, you should see the extractor's tip sticking out a little. If it isn't, then it's possible the extractor hasn't clipped over the rim.
Slowly pull the slide back, do this gently, looking into the ejection port. The chambered round should withdraw from the chamber, firmly clipped and held by the extractor claw. Continue pulling back until the round is knocked away by the ejector.
If, however, the cartridge remains in the chamber, then the extractor may well be sticking and not clipping over the rim.

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Cerwyn - you are right... this could work with PFC cartridges (cap can be pushed out without touching plasticine),
but with CP design (such as WaShan uses) it will not work. I was only thinking of Marushin P38 :-/
Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:02 am

Hey
About the 2 shots at once thing:

They both fire, there is no empty cartridge flying out. And the second one is ejected clearly...

When I move the slide manually, with bullets in the magazine it works fine. Every ejected with no problems.

Since this "part" and the fire selector is broken, it fires the first 3 times pulled the trigger 2 cartridges at once, the rest not.
And I used usual cartridges, no disposable ones.
Back to top Go down
Spencer-Man
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
Spencer-Man

Number of posts : 47
Location / Country : Brighton, England
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 7:36 pm

I also had the same problem with selector switch, but no problem with the slide or frame. My solution was slightly different. I simply filed a little bit off of the metal catch, the part that prevents you from moving the selector without pulling it to the side, not too much mind, but enough that it doesnt need to be pulled out quite as far. I then screwed the screw in much further than it was initially, giving it plenty of 'meat' to grip hold of.

The other thing that I must mention, is that the dot on the right hand side of the gun should not be red. It is not the safety indicator, but the fire select indicator, and should be in white. I know that it is not the end of the world, and certainly not important, paint it green for all I care, but just thought I would mention it in case you wanted to correct it. If it doesnt bother you, then dont worry about it.
Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:13 pm

No problem mate^^
Thanks for your help and thanks for correcting me.

So both dots beneath ne fire selector should be white?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 10:54 am

BadBean wrote:
Hey
About the 2 shots at once thing:

They both fire, there is no empty cartridge flying out. And the second one is ejected clearly...

When I move the slide manually, with bullets in the magazine it works fine. Every ejected with no problems.

Since this "part" and the fire selector is broken, it fires the first 3 times pulled the trigger 2 cartridges at once, the rest not.
And I used usual cartridges, no disposable ones.

Did this problem start after the fire selector switch broke then Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_question Could it be the internal mechanism slipping and allowing 2 rounds to fire instead of 1 Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_question

Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 pm

yes, it was after it broke...

I think there isnt much left I can do for my M9 XD
Maybe a new one will last longer...
Back to top Go down
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

Number of posts : 208
Location / Country : Belgium
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Maybe you can send me the fire selector? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 6:11 pm

I guess you mean sending the fireselector of my broken one that I dont need any more so you got a new one? ^^

If I get a new one I will keep the selector for spare parts...

But you can buy the whole thing of course for a good set of spare parts XD

I am mean I know... but I now saw what can happen and I wouldnt give something away for free if there is a big possibility that I will need it...

BUT at modelguns-worldwide I am able to buy spare parts for the gun I bought...
I am not capable of putting the new part in my gun because I dont have the skills...

But if you like I could ask for a spare fire selector
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Repairing the thread in the slide is possible, with a bit of skill so all's not lost there. Once the selector switch is working I should think your firing 2 at once issue would stop if it was ok before hand.

Your biggest problem would appear to be the broken guide rail on the frame. It isn't possible to weld Zinc Alloy but there is a material similar to solder, but much stronger, available from Muggy Weld (http://www.muggyweld.com/index2.html)
This MAY just repair that rail.
It could be worth a try anyway

Back to top Go down
Spencer-Man
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
Spencer-Man

Number of posts : 47
Location / Country : Brighton, England
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 pm

With reguards to the dots markings, the one on the left of the frame under the safety switch should be red as this is the live fire indicator, and also the little groove on the top of the extractor arm at the fat part that grips the round (this is only visable when a round is chambered) as this is the round chambered indicator. The dot on the right hand side by the fire select switch, and the dots/groves on the rear sight and front sight blade should be white, depending whether you have the tri dot, line (little grove under the cut out notch in the centre of the rear sight blade), or the U shaped type markings.
Back to top Go down
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

Number of posts : 208
Location / Country : Belgium
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:17 pm

No problem Badbean, in fact it was just a joke, that's why the smiley was there Wink
Wouldn't give it away myself either if I was planning to maybe buy a new one.
As you say you can always use it for spare parts, and in the meantime you also know you will probably need them for a WaShan. Sad to say, but that's just the way it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...   Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Broken WaShan M9: Fireselector and unknown piece of slide...
Page 1 of 1