MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

44-40 long blank inscription

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 617
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

44-40 long blank inscription Empty
PostSubject: 44-40 long blank inscription   44-40 long blank inscription Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 5:02 pm

I have several SAA modelguns with this inscription (alongside the fake Colt patent info on the side of the receiver), just interested to know the origins for the engraving, stamping.

I've seen it on quite a few others, CMC marked some of it's older metal SAA's with this, I believe, my others are unmarked except for "made in Japan."

It is a curious engraving as I've never seen it on a real firearm either, or an actual blank firer.

There may have been a discussion on this, sorry if I missed it - anyone any ideas?

JJ

FYI* I have several types of 44 blank, from the 5 in 1 to actual .44 mag, not only do they not fit in the cylinder - with the block, (IMO) the cast metal wouldn't take the pressure generated behind the cylinder block, from any of these not even the lowly BP western blanks so it's definitely not a loading size - and the hammer wouldn't touch them off anyway.
Back to top Go down
lt-deke

Number of posts : 18
Location / Country : england
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: 44-40 long blank inscription   44-40 long blank inscription Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 am

From 1873 to 1941, more than 350,000 Colt Single Actions were made and more than 30 calibers were produced. Half of the big guns were made in .45 Colt and the rest in .44-40. as the Winchester 1873 main caliber was .44-40 if you were riding the range you would only need to carry one type of round with you for both guns. The next two most popular calibers were the .38-40 and the .32-20.
Back to top Go down
lt-deke

Number of posts : 18
Location / Country : england
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: 44-40 long blank inscription   44-40 long blank inscription Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Had a look at some in my collection and have got two CMC's from 1968 that have peacemaker cal .44 on the side of the barrel, and one with Cavalry cal .44 these have open chambers and barrel and take a full length spring loaded cartridge.
I also have two frontier models made by CMC with the same date and look exactly the sane except that the barrels are blocked and the chambers have the plugs in for the short spring cartridges and the markings say colt single action army .45, so may have something to to with the country,s they were getting exported to.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: 44-40 long blank inscription   44-40 long blank inscription Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Perhaps, it is a country/importation thing, had to be designated a blank firer to get in, or out, legally, even though it is not an actual blank firer.
I have encountered them in the UK and US.

Anyone actually know the reason, conjecture is fun of course?

JJ
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: 44-40 long blank inscription   44-40 long blank inscription Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 9:59 pm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?

Here are a couple of auctions where the replica is marked as a 44-40 long blank.

Neither of these should EVER be fired with real 44-40 blanks in

them.[url=http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158655095]http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158655095
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 44-40 long blank inscription   44-40 long blank inscription Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

44-40 long blank inscription
Page 1 of 1