MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Empty
PostSubject: Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes!   Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 11:59 am

Hi Everyone, this is my first Post - but I am pleased to be here and am extremely grateful for the wealth of knowledge all the members have placed in this forum.
Hope my contribution(s) will help someone some time! ('Very Happy')

I recently bought a second-hand MP40 for NZ$270, and knew from the buyer there were a couple of problems.
When I got the gun, I removed the barrel - and thanks to this forum and its contributors I was able to remove the faulty parts. It needed a new chamber and barrel!
Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Old-newdiff
Checking with Francky and his web site I decided to get a new HW bolt as well as HW barrel & chamber.

Problems started when the new barrel wouldn't fit into the end of the trunnion.('Sad')
Inspection showed a "blow hole" in the casting.
Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Blister
This lump had prevented the barrel seating correctly.
The previous owner had shaved the barrel end to make it fit, and had removed a bit too much plastic!('Shocked')
Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Barrelreplacement
I decided to sand down as much as I could of the inside of the bulge in the trunnion, and slightly sand the barrel end only if needed.
Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! NewChamberInstalled

The old barrel housed the steel bar that the detonator bar sits on, and I had to remove it by cutting the barrel and "panel-beating" the bar back into shape. It had been "munted"! When installing into the new barrel it became obvious that the original owner had assembled it incorrectly and hadn't inserted the bar deep enough into the old barrel. THATS" why he'd done so much shaving and chopping !!! To make everything fit a 3mm misalignment.('Evil or Very Mad')

A bit of gentle sanding, a deep bar insertion - and my MP40 was back to normal.('Laughing')

I bought a repro sling (thanks for the source Cerwyn) and consulted with Francky (VERY helpfull - thanks) and my MP40 - which came with Bakelite repro furniture - is my pride and joy!
Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! MyMp40sling
PS Having the freedom to do so in New Zealand I have a lifetime collection of real guns, blank firers and Gas Blowback & SEG guns.

The MP40 is my first Modelgun. My second is a Marushin PPK/S I got from Francky as a kitset! I kinda feel I've got bitten by the Modelgun bug and my Bank balance with be diminishing on a regular basis!!!!
I'm looking at a MGC Thompson and a Marushin Walther P38 now ..........and .........??????('lol!')

Last edited by kiwigunner on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:38 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : photo update)
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes!   Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Hello, good to see you there :-)

I'm glad you decided to share the story of fixing your MP40, that's how this small community lives :-) It is always interesting to read about models, especially if you already provided solution in the story :-)

This hobby will get you in no time... I "just" wanted to see what a modelgun is, and suddenly there is more of them than I have fingers! In a way it is a motive to work better and earn more money for modelguns ;-D

How do you choose models to get? I see that the ones you listed are WWII, is it the key?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes!   Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi Kiwi Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Icon_biggrin , and thanks very much for your first post.

Discussing problems like these are a great help to all of us. Many have been experienced by other members in the past so answers and sollutions can be quick in coming.
A written account of unusual problems with a description of your own sollutions will no doubt help someone else at some point.

I'm glad to see that the contact we had leading up to your first post got your MP40 sorted at last Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Icon_cheers

Try this link for photo posting help:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-general-discussion-f1/posting-pictures-t737.htm?highlight=posting+photos
I use Photobucket myself and can recommend it as dead easy to use. The only things to remember are keep the photo you use on a forum live in your "album" otherwise it'll vanish from the forum and log on to Photobucket at least once every 6 months. If you don't they'll shut the account and all your photos will be lost

A write up on your experience building the PPK Kit would be of great interest too please, if you find some time on your hands Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Icon_wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Photos next time!   Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks Cerwyn & Smootik. Appreciate the comments and advice - will make a PPK/s post later this week, if I can tear myself away from playing with my new Modelguns!
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Photos - for details of the MP40 challenges!   Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Managed to figure out a way to download images - with Cerwyn's help! (Thanks)

Hope these picture help make more sense of the post!
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes!   Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin MP40 Casting blow holes!
Page 1 of 1