MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Sterling /c-1

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:25 pm

Post by Mark

Well, after years of searching, I finally located and bought one after wanting to buy one of these since 1985! When I first observed them in an advertisement in a gun magazine (Guns & Ammo) however, they where too expensive at the time.
And by the time that I could afford them, they had disappeared!
When I finally started to collect these modelguns after many years, I of course, wanted to buy a Sterling for my collection and I started to search for one to add to my collection.
But, I quickly noticed that the MGC sterling's had disappeared completely! They had of course, been collected by modelgun collectors like myself and the "star wars collectors" This particular MGC was obviously a new out of the box sterling that had been converted and just displayed as the bluing is in excellent condition with the exception of the missing bolt handle, screw holes in the barrel jacket, stock assembly and the (worst of all) cut magazine!
MGC Sterling /c-1 Mgcsterling24
The trouble with the "star wars" connection is that there are many fans that want "blasters" like Han Solo carried in the movie and these where of course, converted British Sterling SMG's not MGC modelguns...MGC might very well have produced these for Lucas Films Corp but, I seriously doubt it...However, the fact is that these MGC's are being modified and in my opinion, being ruined to make blasters!!
I have found shops on the net that sell conversion kits for the MGC sterling to convert them into "blasters" these conversion kits require the receiver to be drilled and tapped for the various added on accessories and scope brackets and, worst of all, the special 30 rd (extremely rare!) MGC sterling magazine had to be cut and shortened to look "right"! AAAggg!
And worse, despite the fact that these these shops sell perfectly good replicas of the blaster that is made from actual sterling L2A3 parts on a replica receiver tube...These people still prefer to use the MGC! Even though, the blaster can't fire and you don't see the storm troopers pulling back the bolt handle!
MGC Sterling /c-1 Mgcsterling25
I was rather lucky to find this example after having to pass up on one last year due to lack of money..It is in decent condition considering that it could have been played with excessively and had all of the bluing removed to simulate wear...
This MGC unfortunately, has been modified before importation to pass federal importation standards as determined by the ATF/U.S. customs these modifications included cutting the bolt face at an angle, drilling holes in the chamber,removal of the detonator and further plugging of the barrel.
The barrel has an extra block of hardened steel or carbide by the breech end of the barrel. So, unfortunately the barrel can't vent the gasses/smoke out the front due to this extra block...
MGC Sterling /c-1 Mgcsterling26
As you can see, the bolt's face has been machined away and so it cannot feed any cartridges until the bolt is repaired or replaced.
As these MGC sterling's are rare both here and the rest of the world, parts are hard to find and the chances that a new or used magazine,bolt and bolt handle can be found are slim...However, I really want to "fire" this MGC and so, I will have to find or build the missing parts..But even with machining my own parts, it is still going to be some time before I can fire it...
MGC Sterling /c-1 Mgcsterling27
And here is the breech end of the barrel and the plug that MGC provided instead of the detonator..The breech end of the barrel screws onto the chamber piece that is bolted in place by 4 allen headed cap screws and is apparently removeable which is really nice as I can seal up the drilled holes and allow the gasses to escape down the soon to be un-blocked barrel.
So, for the most part, I am extremely happy that I bought this MGC sterling, as I have wanted one for a long time...
But, the fact that so many parts are missing,cut and blocked is frustrating, as I love to "shoot" these modelguns, as that is what attracted me to them in the first place!
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Post by Claymore

Glad you have finally got one but a shame (and traversty) that it it been treated the way it has. I hope you can sort out its problems and get it firing again.

I have no news on the sterling i am waiting on, dont even know what condition it will be in or price.

How much of this gun is metal and i take it then that an unmolested sterling has an open barrel. Also i take it is is single shot and full auto capable.

Do you know if the real sterling mag would fit.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Post by Mark

Ya claymore,

I am very excited to have this MGC! And yes, it is a shame that it has been modified...

I am sure that I can get it to fire caps as well as any modelgun!

I hope that you eventually get your sterling and you don't have to replace parts and etc to get it "running"

As for the metal parts, 98.3% of this modelgun is steel/zinc. The only part that is ABS is the grips! In fact, this modelgun is a work of art! I think that the Japanese and the European versions might have an open barrel instead of here where they where they required to block the barrel etc.

And yes, the selector functions and it will shoot semi and full auto although, the selector functions a little bit differently than the real Sterling: (Safe,Semi,Full) MGC:(Full,Safe,Semi) but, the MGC isn't really a copy of the British version though. It is a Canadian C-1 but I don't know if their selector has the same positions as the Sterling..

I don't have any real Sterling magazines to try in it unfortunately..But, I might have to obtain one and make it work!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Post by Mark

It would be great if MGC would reproduce the Sterling and the MP40 but they cannot due to Japanese law. As they where made out of pressed steel and that method of making modelguns has been banned since 1972.

They might be persuaded to make them out of zinc (like the Hudson Sten) though but they wouldn't be as realistic as the originals.

The real problem that I face is the MGC Sterling magazines are extremely hard to find and since the starwars fanatics cut them to make them look like the "blasters" short magazine...The supply of the original 30 round Sterling magazines is drying up and I need one for my Sterling!!

Last edited by Cerwyn on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:32 pm

Post by Mark

Well, Thanks to Mike's thoughtfully (and kindly!) provided dimensions, I have finally made my charging handle for my MGC C1/Sterling! I think that it turned out great! Although, I had to use my manual lathe as I still haven't got my Compact 6 CNC machine running yet. Mad
Anyways, here is the top "in the white"
MGC Sterling /c-1 MGCsterlinc11

The bottom in the "white"
MGC Sterling /c-1 MGCsterlingc12

And then, the blued/parkerised finish (I had to show it on this yellow background so it would show-up)

MGC Sterling /c-1 MGCsterlingc15

MGC Sterling /c-1 MGCsterlingc16

All in all, I think that the charging handle "turned" out well it fits and functions flawlessly! However, I would have liked a better looking finish on the handle as the bluing didn't quite turnout as well as I wanted as the original MGC charging handle had a nice smooth blue finish that matched the rest of the bluing.
Although, I used "Super Blue" it turned out with a flat black oxide parkerised type finish it doesn't look bad at all but, I was wanting an original looking finish.
But, it works that is what I was mostly looking for anyways..
Now, on to the BOLT project! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:33 pm

Post by metradio

Glad you got it sorted mark it looks just like.. er.. mine... As for the blueing, I have noticed that "Super Blue" and it's brothers react slightly differently on various grades of steel, for instance I reblued the slide on my real steel Colt Government 45 auto (deactivated) with Super Blue, and it came out with a satin dark blue finish - very much like the original look. But when it came to reblueing the magazine, it ended up with a black parkarised looking finish..
Of course the other method is to heat the charging handle up with a blow torch and quench it in oil MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_biggrin
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Mark

Thanks for the compliments guys!

The charging handle took a few hours to make and it is sure nice to have a handle on the bolt as it sure beats using a plastic pen to pull the bolt back! Laughing
Quote :
Colt Government 45 auto (deactivated)
That is sad Mad you shouldn't have to deactivate beautiful .45's Sad I remember reading back in the 70's about the shooting clubs and competitions that used to be held in Britain, they where awesome and you could even own BAR's (with the selector permently welded on semi-auto position) and other guns like the FN/FAL's etc. I'm afraid that those days are all gone especially in Britain..
But, getting back to the topic, yes, the Super Blue does seem to react differently to different grades of steel (this was a automotive fastener) It's too bad that it didn't look like the factory blue but, I will try the heating up and quenching trick and see how it ends-up.
Again, thanks for the pictures and the dimensions Mike! they where an immense help on this project! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
megamicrofish
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 137
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2009-11-24

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Hey Mark

did you ever get the Stirling firing PFC's ?
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 8:20 pm

You can try to contact Mark via his website and old forum:
http://www.mp40modelguns.com/
http://www.mp40modelguns.com/forum2/

As far as I know he does not frequent here.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 am

smootik wrote:
You can try to contact Mark via his website and old forum:
http://www.mp40modelguns.com/
http://www.mp40modelguns.com/forum2/

As far as I know he does not frequent here.

You could always try his e-mail address too mp40modelguns@yahoo.com Sadly, Mark never did choose to return as Site Administrator.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
Suomi KP/-31
Suomi KP/-31

Number of posts : 57
Location / Country : Sweden
Registration date : 2010-03-08

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 9:56 am

Cerwyn wrote:
Post by Mark
The trouble with the "star wars" connection is that there are many fans that want "blasters" like Han Solo carried in the movie and these where of course, converted British Sterling SMG's not MGC modelguns.
No, MGC modelguns were in fact used in the production of Star Wars episodes V and VI (Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi).

When filming the first Star Wars back in 1976, real firearms were converted into blasters. This proved to be a problem when moving the production team to different locations worldwide - the transportation and import of live firearms was prohibited in many places and proved to be a logistic problem.

Therefore, modelguns were purchased - MGC Broomhandle Mausers were modded to Han Solo and Luke Skywalker's sidearms from Empire and onwards, and the Imperial Stormtroopers were equipped with MGC Sterlings in Jedi.

Which is why the avid Star Wars collectors choose to mod these rare modelguns into movie prop replicas - the aim for accuracy. Lucasfilm used MGC's - the collectors strive towards possessing as exact replicas as possible.

Though I am a former Star Wars collector, I'm in no way a supporter of destroying modelguns - IMO, perfectly fine replicas can be achieved by rebuilding Denix Broomhandles and deactivated real gun parts...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Thank you for the added information here Suomi MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_biggrin
It is such a shame that many MGC modelguns were cut up and heavily modified but they must have thought it a good idea at the time.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
Demetrius

Number of posts : 4
Location / Country : Canada
Registration date : 2011-10-20

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 1:21 am

[quote="Suomi KP/-31"]
Cerwyn wrote:
Post by Mark

When filming the first Star Wars back in 1976, real firearms were converted into blasters. This proved to be a problem when moving the production team to different locations worldwide - the transportation and import of live firearms was prohibited in many places and proved to be a logistic problem.

Therefore, modelguns were purchased - MGC Broomhandle Mausers were modded to Han Solo and Luke Skywalker's sidearms from Empire and onwards, and the Imperial Stormtroopers were equipped with MGC Sterlings in Jedi.

Which is why the avid Star Wars collectors choose to mod these rare modelguns into movie prop replicas - the aim for accuracy. Lucasfilm used MGC's - the collectors strive towards possessing as exact replicas as possible.

Though I am a former Star Wars collector, I'm in no way a supporter of destroying modelguns - IMO, perfectly fine replicas can be achieved by rebuilding Denix Broomhandles and deactivated real gun parts...

If I had the extra cash I would definitely buy the Master Replica's "E-11 storm trooper blaster"(Canada importable) and convert it to a regular Sterling SMG, then use the scope for my Denix Mauser C96. I am a fan of the Films but I am a bigger fan of the Sterling.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MGC Sterling /c-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC Sterling /c-1   MGC Sterling /c-1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC Sterling /c-1
Page 1 of 1