MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New to Forum

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kagero43

Number of posts : 18
Location / Country : Canada
Registration date : 2010-08-28

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: New to Forum   New to Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 5:47 am

Hello. I am new here. I came across your site looking for info on PPKs (I have the MGC PPK that my grandfather bought me back in the 70's when I was a kid and thought I'd see if they were "still around"). I think your site is a great resource for this hobby (I have an MGC Colt 1911 as well).

I also build plastic models and have a few of those 1/1 scale LS plastic gun kits of the late 70's and early 80's (I hope that it is OK to post LS gun models here?). I finished a model NAMBU kit about 2 years ago while trying to experiment with finishing techniques on 1/1 model guns. I am using a combination of acrylic and lacquer paints with oil washes and filters, and would be interested to know how you guys "paint" or re-finish your model guns! I am always trying to search new ways of obtaining realistic finishes, whether they be model guns or other plastic scale models I enjoy building (aircraft, armour, ships). Anyways, here are two pics of my plastic model NAMBU gun kit from LS (I added a repro Japanese NCO lanyard I got off EBAY for about $20).

P.S. - I am interested in buying any LS kits if you know of a source as I cannot import other types of model guns (replicas) to where I live here in Canada. Unassembled LS guns are not a problem. I would love to get the Artillery Luger!!!! Cheers - kagero43

[img]New to Forum Nam1[/img][img]New to Forum Nam2[/img]
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:09 am

Welcome to the forum!

Can't speak for others, but for me LS models are fine ;-) I never had or seen one up close, as they were not sold here in 70s and 80s (hardly anything was). The only I've seen on auction locally was already assembled, so not that much fun to get. When I discovered LS brand I was surprised that they have released so many models, especially that firearms are not very popular among model-makers. Ships, airplanes, cars, tanks, but not guns (and in 1:1 scale). As far as I know only Crown and Marui released some model kits in the past (no longer produced).

Your Nambu looks fantastic! I would never say it's not metal from the looks of it! I don't know anything about making proper finish, except that I can comment on how great it looks :-D

You might also find interesting an old discussion about LS models here:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-general-discussion-f1/modelgun-kit-by-ls-year-of-manufacture-new-question-t795.htm
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-general-discussion-f1/ls-kit-guns-t1632.htm
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:17 am

Welcome to the forum kagero, thank you for joining us. Continuing support and contributions from the members make it the great source of help, advice and support that it strives to be.
Thank you for letting us know we're managing to keep it up.

LS Kits are perfectly acceptable for discussion here, especially when they look as superb as yours. That is one impressive looking paint finish, you're clearly skilled at this.
I have no doubts you'll be receiving several posts asking how such a realistic finish can be achieved. There are several abs modelguns that cry out for a realistic metallic finish like you've achieved.

I don't know what availability of LS kits is like now, not good I'd imagine, but there are self assembly kits produced by Marushin of Japan.
Would you be able to import such kits into Canada? If yes, I'd suggest you contact forum member Francky at www.franckys-modelgun.com

Looking forwards to hearing more from you,

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
kagero43

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Thank you for such a warm welcome and nice comments Smootik and Cerwyn! Smile I enjoy Plastic Model Guns as much as aricraft, armour or ship modelling. Syre I will post a more detailed description of painting (I am working on re-finishing an MP40). Thanks also for the links to disucssions on LS guns - WOW that box art brings back memories. I used to work in a Hobbyshop as my first job and they got me to build several of these LS guns to display in the mall window (they sold like "hotcakes"). Neddless to say, those were different times then back in the early 80's. Will post pics of my MP40 refnished soon. Again GREAT siteand a wonderful resource of knowledge here!!!! Razz - kagero43
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Please do write in details about your work on painting (paints, brushes etc). I am a complete noob when it comes to this, and while I could read something on modelling websites, it should be much more interesting to get very specific information from you :-)
Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-07

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:05 pm

welcome!

Your Type 14 looks very nice. I also made LS Type 14 back in 1980's.
Unfortunately, LS gone out of business fairly long time before, it is not easy to find new kit even here.
If you find one on ebay or something, I suggest to get it as long as your wallet allows.
So, firearms replica is totally banned in Canada?

S
Back to top Go down
kagero43

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Yep - "replica firearms" are deemed "prohibited" devices. If you own one previously (I cannot recall the date), you are permitted to keep it and even display it for reenacments etc. You can buy decativated though within Canada legally, but no cross border ordering. Its weird. All I can say is that I am law abidding (never committed a crime), and have respectable job but it seems you get a label (but I know I am talking to the preached). Even airsoft gun are illegal to import but you can buy from authorized dealer. Real guns are OK as long as you have approriate permit. Like I said, its weird. I am looking for a Japanese Type 99 LMG (airsoft or decativated) but I know I'll never get one No
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:35 am

Hi Kagero

I can confidently say that an article giving details how to use paints to create a realistic metallic finish to modelguns, especially abs or HWABS MP40s will attract readers in droves.
Over the last few years the question's been asked more than once how to get rid of Marushin's abs MP40 shiny plastic look. Another example is Hudson's M3A1 Grease Gun
One member we haven't heard from in a long long time by now, Reemo, was an accomplished modeller and he posted photos of his painted Grease Gun with instructions.
Unfortunately those photos are no longer accessible but I recall the modelgun looked absolutely superb, far better than the factory finish.
I'd really like to refinish mine to a realistic and metallic look but don't really know how to manage it.
Your advice and expertise will be very welcome and appreciated please New to Forum Icon_wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to Forum
Page 1 of 1