MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

mgc thompson

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

mgc thompson Empty
PostSubject: mgc thompson   mgc thompson Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:34 pm

****Originally posted by jay851****

hi all
got my first model gun,a mgc thompson which i am well happy with.
i cant believe how heavy this beast is,it is one of the best looking guns i've owned. it is dated 11/79 so would this be a paper cap gun converted to use the plastic caps which it now uses.also,should this early type have an open barrel as this one does not vent any smoke through the barrel,and i have been led to believe the early ones did.
could anyone supply me with a takedown drawing of this,it would be very appreciated.

cheers
jay

ps. i can see this hobby becoming very addictive and expensive
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

mgc thompson Empty
PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson   mgc thompson Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:35 pm

****Originally posted by claymore****

Hi Jay
Yep this is an addictive hobby and the mgc thompson is superb. Not wanting to rain on your parade but i hope you have not got into this hobby to late.

Instructions i can help with, i will get them photocopied and can send them to you.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

mgc thompson Empty
PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson   mgc thompson Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:35 pm

hi claymore
thanks mate,i'll pm you my address.
as for the other issue,looks like i'll just sell a kidney and scoop up what i can

cheers
jay
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

mgc thompson Empty

****Originally posted by mark****

Hi Jay,

Congrats on the Thompson! I have two of them myself, an older version with the "open" barrel and the later "blocked" version.

The earlier MGC Thompsons do have the open barrels if you have the chamber in place remove it by removing the ejector first and then, remove the screw just behind the forward hand guard and then take a wooden or rubber mallet and tap on the receiver just above the chamber insert while holding the muzzle upwards and then after the insert is out, look down the barrel it shouldn't be blocked except for the insert that is off-center in the bore.

If you have the allen-cap screws on the top of your receiver, then you have an open barrel unless they had a manufacturing change.

Alot of the conversion chambers that where sold to convert the paper cap Thompsons over to the plastic caps have a solid back without gas excape holes. If this is the case, you can easily drill the holes and then you can have the smoke out the muzzle!

And yes, this is definately an expensive and addicting hobby!
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

mgc thompson Empty
PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson   mgc thompson Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:36 pm

hi mark
yes,it has the 2 allen key screws in the top of the receiver,i'll take a look when i get the chance,at work at the moment.
how many holes should there be in the chamber insert and what diameter are they,as i dont want to upset the blowback performance.

cheers
jay
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

mgc thompson Empty
PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson   mgc thompson Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:36 pm

Jay, as for the hole size, and the number of holes, keep in mind that the pressures that "power" the blow-back effect happens inside of the cartridge and no amount of holes in the chamber will affect the blow-back action as long as the detonator is properly supported.

I think that at least two 5mm holes should do the trick perhaps you can go larger if you want but, just be sure that the detonator is properly supported as detonator tip deflection will cause problems.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

mgc thompson Empty

thanks mark (again)
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

mgc thompson Empty
PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson   mgc thompson Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:37 pm

I do what I can for the hobby!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mgc thompson Empty
PostSubject: Re: mgc thompson   mgc thompson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mgc thompson
Page 1 of 1