MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kroenen

Number of posts : 10
Location / Country : NY, USA
Registration date : 2011-02-08

New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Empty
PostSubject: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 1:49 am

First I would like to say hello to all!

I'm new with replica guns and need your opinions on replica MP40's.

I have been a big fan of WW2 German submachine and machine guns.

I just purchased a replica of a Denix MP40 (still haven't received it yet) and was wondering for the money are there better replica MP40's within the $250-$300 range? If so which brands are more realistic?

I was also doing some research and I see MGC is a great replica, but out of my price range. Anything out there that can come close to it? If so please post pics.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 10:38 am

Hello Kroenen, welcome to the Forum Very Happy

The MP40 has possibly been the most popular first buy for Modelgun collectors. And no wonder, it is something of an icon isn't it Question

$250 - $300 will buy MP40 "look alikes" , for example electric powered bb guns that look good from a distance, but bear no resemblance to the real MP internally
Cast zinc alloy Denix models look and feel good (being metal) but cannot cycle nor chamber cartridges, the magazine supplied has no spring nor follower

If you want a replica that looks, field strips, and simulates firing using re-useable cap loaded cartridges, Marushin's MP40 made mostly of ABS or Heavy Weight ABS, ZINC and some Steel parts will most likely be the best option.
These are available in Kit form, new, for under $300 direct from Japan (see http://franckys-modelgun.com)
Used, pre-owned examples come up for sale fairly often so a good one can be bought for less than $300
This model has it's own category which you'll find on the forum's main page.

Other cap firing MP40s made in cast Zinc are available, Nakata, TRC, Marushin examples too, but at much higher prices.
MGC68 MP40 models having steel receivers and zinc components are available in Cap-firing or Dummy models but prices for these, as you've seen, are much higher again.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 12:31 pm

I'll second the choice of Marushin MP40. You can get it new from Japan, as a kit for self assembly for about 300$ (w/shipping). Assembled model could be a bit more expensive if bought new, but used ones come up here from time to time.

I find this MP40 to be a very nice overall model, even if a bit shiny ;-)
Back to top Go down
Kroenen

Number of posts : 10
Location / Country : NY, USA
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 3:15 am

I paid $220 for the Denix.

I haven't got it yet & expect to receive it tomorrow.

I just found out today that this replica toy gun such as this Denix MP40 is illegal in NYC. Is it illegal to even have it in your own home for display purposes?
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:37 am

Kroenen wrote:
I just found out today that this replica toy gun such as this Denix MP40 is illegal in NYC. Is it illegal to even have it in your own home for display purposes?

Please keep a very low profile about it...otherwise Take Care (was told Long Island's OK though)...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:38 am

I wasn't aware NYC had made replica ownership illegal Shocked Is this a new Law Question I was in contact a couple of years ago with a NYC resident who owned various Gas BlowBack Airsoft replicas.

If you bought the Denix from overseas, it's likely that US Customs may sieze it as a prohibited item.
Similarily if you bought it from a US Retailer, would they ship it to a destination that prohibits them Question
If you bought in privately, you may be lucky and have it delivered but take very great care. If indeed you are in possession of an illegal replica, check the Law and what possible punishment might be enforced if you're caught.
Please let us know how this works out for you.

Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 am

Cerwyn, on the pages where I posted the Collectors Armory catalogue, you'll see a notice about NYC law on the page which has the cross section of the 1911 on it.
So at least that law has been in place since 1981.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:57 am

http://24.97.137.100/nyc/AdCode/entered.htm
Title 10 "Public Safety", Chapter 1 "Public Safety", Section 10-131 "Firearms"

As usually with lawyer-speak it is a mess to understand. The first point below forbids airsoft ones, the second one permits paper-cap ones, but the third requires transparent or bright colour for such toys. There is also more information about replicas, models etc in other sections, so please do not treat this post as a solid guidance.

10-131(b)
Quote :

Air pistols and air rifles; selling or possessing. 1. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer to sell or have in such person's possession any air pistol or air rifle or similar instrument in which the propelling force is a spring or air, except that the sale of such instruments if accompanied by delivery to a point without the city, and possession for such purpose, shall not be unlawful if such person shall have secured an annual license from the police commissioner of the city authorizing such sale and possession. The sale and delivery of such instruments within the city from one licensee to another licensee, and the use of such instruments in connection with an amusement licensed by the department of consumer affairs or at rifle or pistol ranges duly authorized by law shall not be considered a violation of this subdivision.

10-131(d)
Quote :

Sale of toy-pistols. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or dispose of to a minor any toy-pistol or pistol that can be loaded with powder and ball or blank cartridge to be exploded by means of metal caps; but nothing herein contained shall apply to the sale or disposal of what are known as firecracker pistols, torpedo pistols or such pistols as are used for the explosion of paper caps.

10-131(g)(1)(a)
Quote :

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sell, possess or use or attempt to use or give away, any toy or imitation firearm which substantially duplicates or can reasonably be perceived to be an actual firearm unless:
(it is transparent of bright coloured)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks Dan & smootik,

So, Air rifles and pistols need a Licence to own, Airsoft or Paper Cap firing pistols do not need a licence but any Realistic Imitation gun has to be either Transparent or Bright Colored
Presumably then, Kroenen will need to have the Denix painted over with bright coloured paint to comply with NYC law.
If Kroenen was to buy a Marushin PFC cap firer, it would be classed as a "Paper cap" gun hopefully, he could own it legally only if it was also painted in bright colours.

All this sounds very much like our own UK VCRA laws.

smootik wrote:
http://24.97.137.100/nyc/AdCode/entered.htm
Title 10 "Public Safety", Chapter 1 "Public Safety", Section 10-131 "Firearms"

10-131(g)(1)(a)

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sell, possess or use or attempt to use or give away, any toy or imitation firearm which substantially duplicates or can reasonably be perceived to be an actual firearm unless:
(it is transparent of bright coloured)

Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:48 am

Cerwyn wrote:

I wasn't aware NYC had made replica ownership illegal Shocked Is this a new Law Question I was in contact a couple of years ago with a NYC resident who owned various Gas BlowBack Airsoft replicas.

If you bought the Denix from overseas, it's likely that US Customs may sieze it as a prohibited item.

So did your friend from NYC painted all the muzzles in bright orange? This is OK as per Federal Law - but by saying so don't boast about the airsoft collection especially in NY (an extremely "sensitive" city)...

Customs issue - I don't think seizure is the only solution if the MP40 is seized by New York Customs in its original colour...touch wood...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi jim,

I don't honestly know if the Airsoft models the guy owned had bright orange/red muzzles or not.
I'd been in contact with him via a GBB forum seeking advice, which he was very helpful with. I must assume his collection complied with NYC Laws... for his sake Exclamation

As for the Denix MP40, smootik's findings suggest the entire replica must be brightly coloured, there's no mention of the muzzle only.
I wouldn't know how the Mail system works in NYC, if they have their own Laws and Regulations that differ from other parts of the US I guess there'll be someone scanning / x-raying all parcels entering the City.

It'll be interesting to learn how this develops.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's   New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New guy here & needs opinion on replica MP38/40's
Page 1 of 1