MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

M3A1 Grease gun

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bigfootMP

Number of posts : 2
Location / Country : uk
Registration date : 2011-05-07

M3A1 Grease gun Empty
PostSubject: M3A1 Grease gun   M3A1 Grease gun Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 8:15 pm

HI guys, would like to know if anyone out there has a grease gun, I take part in a lot of battles and am thinking about switching to capfirers. I need all the advice I can get about viability/cost etc and if the modelgun shop is ever going to open again. Alan
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

M3A1 Grease gun Empty
PostSubject: Re: M3A1 Grease gun   M3A1 Grease gun Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Hello Alan, welcome to the forum Very Happy

The cap firing M3A1 Grease Gun originally produced by Hudson is reviewed here by Claymore:

Hudson are no longer in business but the moulds were bought by Japanese makers Craft Apple Works who have made various improvements to it. Firstly it weighs a full kilo more which will make it feel much better. The original ABS and HWABS models are rather light.
CAW have improved the firing components, changed cartridge type and redesigned the fragile ejector too.
It should make a good firing modelgun. There's more information here:

If you intend to use this as a firing model at re-enactment events, note it'll be a lot quieter than a Blank Firer and you'll need a shell catcher as you won't want to lose your expensive re-useable brass cartridges.
The biggest drawback at this moment in time is supplies of caps from Japan are at a standstill. Japan Post won't ship them, which has left us all a bit high and dry.
All is not lost, however, as work is underway to get around Japan Posts' restrictions and restore supplies of caps again.

You mention the Modelguns shop. I assume you're referring to Modelguns-Worldwide who are based in France Question We're ALL wondering whether or not he'll ever open again Exclamation . There are two other main dealers, based in the UK that are highly recommended by those of us that have dealt with them.

Both of these can supply you with new and used modelguns, cartridges and accessories as long as you can provide them with VCRA exemption documents, i.e. Re-enactment Group details and Public Liability Ins. docs. (As a re-enactor you'll be well aware of this I'm sure)
I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need to know anything else.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

M3A1 Grease gun Empty
PostSubject: Re: M3A1 Grease gun   M3A1 Grease gun Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 4:30 pm

If you are a reeacter you would be much better off with a blank firer, wendy of wales is doing greasegun blank firers at the moment more expensive than a modelgun but the blanks are easy to get and you dont have to worry about collecting spent cases. Modelguns are fine for showing the public and as a display piece but not really what you want for a battle you will never find all your spent rounds for a start and as cerwyn says not loud enough. If of course you are talking about small battles with mates then thats different and the modelgun would be fine especially if you are in a small enclosed area as modelguns make a great noise for inside a building and your rounds will be easier to find.
Back to top Go down
bigfootMP

Number of posts : 2
Location / Country : uk
Registration date : 2011-05-07

M3A1 Grease gun Empty
PostSubject: Grease gun   M3A1 Grease gun Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 7:37 am

Many thanks guys, I will I think go for (as you say ) a modelgun for the quiter/smaller event and stick with the other for larger battles. I don't suppose you could give me the web sites for the wendy and other makers of the grease gun could you. Great forum chaps and thanks thus far.. (am 62 and just getting into this -great fun and new lease of life).
Best regards. Alan
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

M3A1 Grease gun Empty
PostSubject: Re: M3A1 Grease gun   M3A1 Grease gun Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 9:36 am

No web site for wendy she does not advertise but you can find her on this forum:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/index.php

Go to the for sale bit she is advertising there but you will have to be a member of a recognised reenactment group so VCR exempt and she has a few other restrictions before she will consider selling you anything but apart from wendy i know of no one else who does blank firing WW2 guns.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

M3A1 Grease gun Empty
PostSubject: Re: M3A1 Grease gun   M3A1 Grease gun Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 10:51 am

For cap firing Modelgun Grease Guns Hudson and Craft Apple Works are the two main choices these days.
Even though Hudson have closed down, there are plenty of models around. Craft Apple have just released the much improved model.

As I mentioned previously, contact www.modelguncollector.co.uk and www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com , they'll be able to supply you as long as you've all your VCRA documents to hand.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

M3A1 Grease gun Empty
PostSubject: Re: M3A1 Grease gun   M3A1 Grease gun Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M3A1 Grease gun
Page 1 of 1