MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems

Go down 
+3
claymore
Cerwyn
Tattoojew
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tattoojew

Number of posts : 43
Location / Country : Hawaii, USA
Registration date : 2011-10-07

Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Empty
PostSubject: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:28 am

Ok, Ive had this gun since Friday, and i just got some caps...put three rounds thorugh, one at a time and all 3 times the slide failed to lock back...any ideas??

Thanks,

Jeremy
Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 7:27 am

The slide doesnt even go back far enough to load another round or cock the hammer...why??

Any help??
Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 8:27 am

This is a new gun, and I shouldnt be having this problem...I dont know much about gun internals, and I really dont wanna take this thing apart without knowing much...airsoft guns were one thing, but I dont wanna mess this up.

I just want it to work!!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 8:56 am

Starting with the basics, have you lubricated the slide before attempting to fire it Question It's important that the gun's lubed with a little silicone oil to minimise friction.

Secondly, correct cartridge loading is vital if full blowback is to be achieved. Which caps have you used please:?: Have you lubricated the cartridges with a little silicone grease to ensure full movement and gas seal within the cartridge as it fires:?:

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1236
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 11:28 am

I think the best thing is to go through all the problems that can happen even if they seem obvious, first which model of MGC 45 do you have as there are several versions is it new type real size round or older smaller ones. does your slide move freely if you manually rack it, how exactly are you loading your rounds. lets strat there and if we cant cure the problem form that we will continue.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi Claymore Very Happy Thanks for your input mate, it's always gratefully received

This is the model :
Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Mgc-sfcone-1

Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Hey thanks for your replies!

I lubed the slide with slicone spray...and then loaded the cartridge, primer, cap, and couldnt find silicone grease, so I used the spray on the o-ring...would silicone lithium grease work?

I cant really tell if the slide is moving freely or not when I manually rack it, I have no problems when I rack it...but, it seems like it hangs up a bit when pulling back if Im not putting enough pressure on the grip safety. But if I wasnt putting enough, I guess I wouldnt be able to pull the trigger.

It fires, ejects round, loads another, but hammer doesnt cock...or slide wont lock after last round. Obviously the slide isnt going back far enough...

Dont know what else to do...unless trying the lithium silicone grease is what I need for the cartridges...
Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:53 pm

Also, Im not sure if this matters, but Im using the only caps I could get here in the states...M.G.Caps 7mm yellow/white box.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Tattoojew wrote:
Also, Im not sure if this matters, but Im using the only caps I could get here in the states...M.G.Caps 7mm yellow/white box.

MG caps are perfect for all modelguns, so you're OK there Very Happy

I use silicone grease, have used lithium grease and occasionaly use silicone oil from dropper bottles, not spray, to lubricate the cartridge's rubber 0-ring. All of them work well if used sparingly. If you're achieving ignition, enough blowback to eject the fired cartridge and re-chamber the next round I don't think your problem lies with the cartridges.

Hopefully someone with more experience than I with MGC 1911s can shed some light on the mechanics of the slide's travel and cocking the hammer

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1236
Location / Country : London

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 5:33 pm

first you dont need to grip the grip safety to rack the slide thet grip safety is only for when you pull the trigger so if the slide is feeling stiff i think you need to take the gun apart and check the inside. the only thing i can think that would cause you problems is the cam which could be the wrong way round which would cause a problem with the slide. any chance you can video it firing and you manually racking the slide looking at that may give us a better idea, the other thing exactly how are you loading your rounds, most lubs will work fine for the O ring seal i use silicone and a light oil depending on which gun i fire as some work better with one than the other but if the seal is clean then on first firing the grease is notthat important.
Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 6:00 pm

What and where is the cam? Everything seems fine with the gun...I just dont know how it could not be lubbed enough...and how could parts be on wrong, if its a new gun...this doesnt make sence to me...at all!!
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Tattoo:)

Quote :
What and where is the cam? Everything seems fine with the gun...I just dont know how it could not be lubbed enough...and how could parts be on wrong, if its a new gun...this doesnt make sence to me...at all!!...

First off relax Smile Modelguns are very different to other types, thats what makes them frustratingly beautiful!
Part of the beauty is understanding and fixing them so they work as you want. But take you time!
(tempted to make English joke here about "fixing a modelgun is like making love to a bueatiful woman") LOL

The MGC is a great model so the problem cannot be that bad, something simple.... First you must learn to strip the gun, without being able to do that you will run into lots of problems, and it is something you should know how to do first before going any further.
So strip it and check all seems roughly as it should inside (google colt 1911 field strip for guide, its pretty dam close to the real gun, so lots of info out there:))
Then clean everything (carts must be spotless inside the o-ring sliding smoothly is the key)

Put it all back together again and try again:)

I cannot stress enough that even though you are frustrated now, take your time and it WILL all work out:)

This link may help work out the strip sequence :
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2961-mgc-colt-1911-meu-hw

PS please excuse spelling errors, rushing this!

Last edited by JohnnyV on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added link)
Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 10:03 pm

I didnt strip it completely, but I dunno what else I need to clean to get this to work...I have it lubbed up like crazy...but whats preventing the slide from cocking the hammer??
Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Can I try lithium silicone grease??? Do you think that might help??
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 10:32 pm

did you get the top slide off yet?
No, grease I think at this stage is not the answer
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Please describe in detail how you load cartridges with caps, what happens when you pull trigger each time etc. This will help narrow down possibilities.
Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 am

I load primer, cap, then firing pin after using silicone around the o-ring...the gun fires, ejects shell, but hammer doesnt cock for next round...if the slide is going back far enough for it to eject/load another round...why is the hammer not cocking??
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 am

From what I've gathered so far - it seems to be the hammer having the problem: now the hammer of your 1911 is behaving like a double-action only pistol (the hammer returns along the slide after the shell ejected)...the slide action somehow touched the trigger bar Question

The same happens on my Marushin M92SB so that's why I know Mad ...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 11:40 am

Tattoojew wrote:
if the slide is going back far enough for it to eject/load another round...why is the hammer not cocking??
Does it happen when you manually cock the slide?
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Quote :
Does it happen when you manually cock the slide?

Must be OK like this as first shot can fire eject and load, key point is is you manualy cycle the slide with the trigger pulled does the hammer reset/work as it should?
Also have you had the slide off yet?
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 1:28 pm

JohnnyV wrote:
Must be OK like this as first shot can fire eject and load
I don't think the first shot is always good - it seemed as if every shot had a problem.
Good point about keeping trigger pressed while cycling though. Do it without a cap ;-)
Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 2:17 pm

I took off the slide, and couldnt identify a problem...are you guys saying to hold the trigger all the way through the shot? I normally squeeze the trigger, then release...as normal I suppose...but holding the trigger through? I dunno. What other remedies for this are there? If its the hammer, would that also fix the slide not locking back?? I havent had more than 2 rounds in the mag at a time.

This is so frustrating. I appreciate your help.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 2:36 pm

If hammer does not cock after shot, this can mean:
- slide does not go far back enough to cock it
- sear that holds hammer doesn't lock on it, or releases immediately, maybe due to trigger bar interfering

When you rack slide manually this allows to see if hammer cocks at all by slide action. This serves to eliminate broken sear.
When you pull trigger AND rack slide manually this allows to see if interaction of trigger mechanism prevents hammer from being locked in cocked position.

If mechanism operates correctly, it might be that blowback is too weak to cock the hammer. It would be likely too weak to move back far enough and chamber another round though.

For troubleshooting you need to pinpoint and eliminate probable causes one by one.
Back to top Go down
Tattoojew

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 4:34 pm

I racked the slide manually with trigger pulled, and hammer did not lock back.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm

OK !
Now you are begining to get somewhere:)
That means there is a problem with part 21, 22 or 29 on the parts list here in the link I sent for the MEU model (I would guess same part number on your model)
As the slide moves over part 22 it depresses it which resets the trigger for next shot allowing hammer to lock back, Try taking of the slide and seeing if you can depress the part by hand (I would guess you can as slide will not go over it if it was locked up.)
It is quite a bit more stripping to get to these parts to get them out, if you do go for it then just take you time when taking apart, but can you possibly post some pics of the top of the frame with the slide removed?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems   Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not good... MGC Colt 1911 Firing Problems
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next