MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rust or Cap residue?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tattoojew

Number of posts : 43
Location / Country : Hawaii, USA
Registration date : 2011-10-07

Rust or Cap residue? Empty
PostSubject: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 6:32 pm

There seems to be a problem with one of my mags. It looks like theres rust forming insie the mag and on the outside at the top where the rounds exit...its reddish, but I dont know why it would be rust if its not being exposed to water or moisture. I really hope its cap residue...its difficult to remove as well.

Ideas?
Back to top Go down
luchs

Number of posts : 42
Location / Country : italy
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 6:49 pm

steel wool and gun oil... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi
Yep its cap residue, but that will start to corrode the mag in no time, as well as carts det pin the top of the mags need a clean after firing:) then a wipe with oil
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Mag has to be cleaned after each firing. Even if you do not see it, after shot smoke flows also inside the replica, and cap residue starts to corrode metal and cause reddish tint that you see. This is not oxydation from water, but chemical reaction with other chemicals.

So far the nicest magazine is stainless steel one for MGC 1911 - it never catches anything. All others, especialy ones that are black (painted or with other surface treatment) get fairly quickly worse if not cleaned.

The worst mag I have is for KSC Beretta - you can easily see where corossion has damaged the surface:
Rust or Cap residue? 32-mag12
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 9:57 pm

RUST NEVER SLEEPS - BUT YOU CAN TRANQUILIZE IT!
Twisted Evil

During my time as a stunt coordinator, swordsman, firearms owner and modelgun collector, there has been only one anti-rust oil that stands out way above the others. It was used by the British Army in WW2 and after to help protect and preserve Sten guns and Sterlings etc.

An associate and I tested the oil in foul Auckland weather for 10 days by applying different oils to an large sheet metal plate. Each oil had been applied to a marked rectangle identifying the various types of oil - except for one un-oiled rectangle used as a control.

Every rectangle after ten days showed serious to significant rusting: except for one, which showed just the beginnings of mild rust streaking just starting to occur...... and the winner is:

INCIS OIL cheers
The beauty of it is that it is NOT think and greasy like car oil; it's not smelly like some 3-in-1 types of oils; and a small amount is all you need to protect a metal surface. sunny

INCIS OIL is hard to get here, and if you do find a supplier, they will only sell it in bulk (22gal drums).
But check it out: there may be re-enactor groups who have some where you live - particularly the groups that use metal armour and swords etc.
I've just run out - and I have to save some $$ to get a drum now! There's not that many people locally that have armour.

Now some of you may have a similar product under a different name....but INCIS OIL is the best I've found in NZ.

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Very useful info!! thanks!!
Did a google search and kept coming up with "Encis" oil, is this the same stuff??
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 10:56 pm

OOPS! Embarassed

Must be my Kiwi accent! Very Happy

Make that ENCIS OIL folks!

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi
Laughing No worries, still a brilliant tip. just spent an hour reading up on the stuff! like you said it looks great!!
Seems the same here though only in 20ltr drums!! how to get a little bit?????

Twisted Evil I am going to ring Shell tomorrow and "ask" for a sample, as I "may" have a huge order for them if its any good Twisted Evil

OK OK i know thats sneaky, but after today paying them £500 to have my LPG tank filled (used to be £300:() what the hell!!
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Go for it JohnnyV!

I Googled it too just now... and found it's spelt INSIS oil! affraid

So we know the what the word sounds like at least! lol!
Whicherver way we choose to spell it, it's extremely good stuff!
Hope you find it useful!

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 9:10 am

So... we now need one guy to buy the large baloon, and starts shipping the content around in small bottles ;-)
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 10:01 am

20 litres here cost NZ$736.00 What a Face

I'm trying to find someone who sells it in 1 litre bottles! Question

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rust or Cap residue?   Rust or Cap residue? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rust or Cap residue?
Page 1 of 1