MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build

Go down 
+2
Momocampo
kiwigunner
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Empty
PostSubject: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 pm

As part of the Browning Colt 45, 1911 Centenary I bought a kit set on this forum in order to review the Marushin Model compared with my other types of 1911 Colt.
It arrived without any hassles and along with the English Instructions came some extra work! cheers
And it must have been a very old kit judging from the unopened packages having many parts with signs or corrosion and rust. affraid

Cerwyn suggested I post the build here on the forum, so here it comes in 3 parts:
Part 1: Preparation of the Parts
Part 2: The Actual Building step by step; &
Part 3: A Comparison and Review of my Model 1911 Colts (Under Smottik's Challenge post).

Hope you enjoy it! Very Happy

Kiwigunner

PART 1: The Prep

Of course there are a number of things building a model gun kit set requires:
removing excess plastic & metal; sizing parts to make sure they will fit; lubricating some of the mechanisms etc.
But this kit showed signs of being quite an old one, with English Instructions (for the American Market) and as the photos below show, quite a few parts required extra attention.

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build ABox

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build BBITS

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Brust01

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Cbluingneeded

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Dcokex1

Yes, in case you never knew, Coke is good for cleaning most metals - coins in particular, if left over night!

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Esearspring02coke

And Meths is a great for removing gummy substances - just don't get the bottles mixed up by mistake

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Fglueremover

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Gplastictrim04

So after a day or so cleaning, sanding, cleaning. bluing and more cleaning - the kit set was ready to assemble! Ye-haa! I'm looking forward to learning about the intricacies of the internals of a Colt 1911 Modelgun

Part two will follow shortly!

Last edited by Cerwyn on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:07 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Moved from "General Discussion")
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 389
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Well done Kiwi, we are with you for the rest !

If you can, scan the manual because the english is very rare.

I have already buy kits with metal parts very rusty...Yes, I think it's because these kits are quite old.

Keep on and see you soon Wink

Bon courage !!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:13 pm

This is going to be good Very Happy A step by step guide like this will be extremely useful, thanks very much for all your work on this Kiwi' , it's really appreciated

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks guys for the encouragement (The Instructions are scanned and posted).
This next installment covers the sequence up to the all-important sear/disconnector assembly.
Download the instructions and follow the pictures! if you wish ! study

Kiwigunner

The first task is to remove a little piece of plastic on the frame during manufacture.
And then cleaning any burrs or roughness on the frame reinforcing.

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 01bridgeremoval

AND THE FRAME REINFORCING UNIT IS WHERE YOU WILL FIT THE EJECTOR PLATE
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 02framereinforcing

Now you can install two pins holding the ejector plate: DO NOT GET THEM MIXED UP LIKE I DID OR YOU WILL GO NUTS TRYING TO GET THE ACTION TO WORK AT ALL!
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 03rjectorinstall

CLIP THE FRAME REINFORCING INTO THE RECEIVER BODY
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 04frameinstall

NEXT JUST DROP THE TRIGGER INTO PLACE AFTER OILING IT.
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 05trigger

THEN CLEAN THE HOLE FOR THE MAG CATCH,
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 06cleanmagcatchhole

ASSEMBLE AND INSTALL THE MAG CATCH.
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 07magcatcha

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 08magcatchb

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 09magcatchc

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 09Amagcatch

Before you go any further check the Slide on the frame for ease of movement and remove any rough patches of scrap plastic.
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 10cleancheckslide

This next bit is fiddly but after a bit of practice it gets easier - and I ended up getting a LOT of practice!
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 11seara

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 13searc

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 12searb

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 12searX

NEXT COMES THE HAMMER, SEAR SPRING AND MAIN SPRING ASSEMBLY ........

Last edited by kiwigunner on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Browning
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 118
Location / Country : Cambs, UK
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Kiwi,

This brings back memories! I built all of my modelguns from kits, including this version and the Combat Commander. All of mine were supplied with English instructions. I never threw them away, but I can't locate them (4 house moves since!) They must be in a box in the loft. I will find them; I am going back into the loft to look for 200+ 35mm slides that I want to scan, so I'll have another look then.

:0)

Andy
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 3:52 am

HI Browning - glad to know there may be more English Instructions coming our way!
My copy in English is here below the Japanese versions.
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t100-marushin-m1911a1
Thanks.

Kiwigunner

THIS SECTION COVERS THE ASSEMBLY OF THE REST OF THE FRAME/RECEIVER

The hammer and strut are pretty simple, but the pin is prone to dropping out. Use calipers to measure the length is correct.

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 14hammerparts

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 15hammerpin

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 16searspringhousingshelf

Now we get to the INTERESTING parts:

The sear spring MUST be installed onto the sear, not under neath it - which is easy to do by mistake!
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 17searspringbottom

Then the main spring and its housing are assembled and GENTLY slid into place over the sear spring.
The whole assemble is as yet un-pinned, so go easy.

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 18mainspringhousing

Now STOP: re-check the sear is correctly sprung; ease the housing up and place the hammer strut into its cap - you will feel the spring pressure start to build as you do this.

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 19hammerstructcap

Now hold the receiver/frame in your hand lift it and get the retaining pin ready (rounded end goes in first).
PUSH DOWN FIRMLY on a hard surface with one hand, simultaneously pushing in the pin as far as you can with your other hard - then tap it quite hard to drive it all the way through and out to the other side of the frame. This requires a bit of fore-thought and maybe a trial run or two.

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 20housingretainer

THE 1911 COLT IS FAMOUS FOR ITS double safety FEATURE. WE CAN ASSEMBLE THIS IN THREE STAGES.
1) ASSEMBLE THE PLUNGER SYSTEM:

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 20safetyplungerassembly

2) INSERT THE TWO SAFETY COMPONENTS:
Next - ease the Grip Safety under the main housing, onto the sear spring and in-between the frame. It takes a little pressure, but it does go quite in easily. Then insert the Thumb safety catch into the frame hole and push it in until it is resting on the safety plunger.

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 21gripsafety

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 22safeties

3) SET THE THUMB SAFETY
Now you can use a small blade to compress the plunger and fully install the Thumb safety. Ensure it is at the right angle (refer to instructions).

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 22safety-screwdriver

BEFORE GOING FURTHER, CHECK THE OPERATION OF THE HAMMER, TRIGGER AND BOTH SAFETIES. LUBRICATE EVERYTHING WITH OIL. THEY MAY BE A LITTLE STIFF AT FIRST BUT GENTLY WORK THE VARIOUS BITS UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY THEY WORK CORRECTLY. IF THEY DON'T THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO DISASSEMBLE DOWN TO THE SEAR, AND MAKE SURE NOTHING HAS SHIFTED OUT OF PLACE - THEN RE-ASSEMBLE AND TRY AGAIN UNTIL YOU SUCCEED! ONCE IT ALL WORKS OK, YOU CAN PUT ON THE HAND GRIPS - AS PER NORMAL.

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 23gripsready

THE BARREL AND SLIDE OF THE COLT FOLLOWS

Last edited by kiwigunner on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixing typos)
Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 7:21 am

I must say it's really a perfect tutorial !!
And it's really a big work !
Kiwi, a big thanks for your courage and yours photos Smile I assembled several kits but do a tutorial is a too big job for me. In fact, with my children, I never had enough time....
Anyway, congratulations and I wait for the end.

Wink
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 11:51 am

Merci mon ami.

I'VE BEEN OFF WORK WITH A CHESTY COUGH THE PAST WEEK, SO LUCKILY I HAVE THE TIME TO SPARE!

I hope it's not too big for people to follow... but we're almost there!

So onwards we go!

Kiwigunner

THIS LAST SECTION COVERS THE ASSEMBLY OF THE BARREL & SLIDE

FIRST PREPARE THE BREECH BLOCK BY REMOVING EXCESS PLASTIC AND TIDY UP ANY ROUGH SPOTS.

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 24cleanbreechblock

NOW YOU CAN ASSEMBLE AND INSTALL THE EXTRACTOR. AFTER WHICH YOU CAN CLIP THE BREECH BLOCK INTO THE SLIDE, AS SHOWN BELOW.
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 25ejectorparts

FOLLOWED BY THE FIRING PIN ASSEMBLY. I DISCOVERED THE INSIDE OF THE FIRING PIN WAS FULL OF RUST - SO IT TOOK SOME FILING WITH A SMALL ROUND FILE TO CLEAN IT OUT!
ENSURE YOU ENGAGE THE D-SHAPED PIN INTO THE D-SHAPED HOLE IN THE BREECH BLOCK
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 26firingpiunassembly

SECURE THE FIRING PIN ASSEMBLY WITH THE RETAINING PLATE - WHICH JUST SLIDES INTO THE SLOT IN THE BACK OF THE SLIDE. USE A SMALL BLADE TO COMPRESS THE FIRING PIN.
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 27firingpinretainer

MOVING ON TO THE BARREL, PLACE THE SHORT RECOIL SPRING OVER THE END OF THE SHORT RECOIL LEVER. PUSH THE TWO PINS OF THE SPRING INTO THE HOLES IN THE BARREL BELOW THE CHAMBER, AND SECURE WITH THE PIN. CUT THE EXCESS LENGTHS OF THE SPRING WIRE FLUSH WITH THE PLASTIC BELOW THE CHAMBER.
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 28barrelpivotspring

INSERT THE BARREL CHAMBER FIRST INTO THE SLIDE UNTIL IT BUTTS UP AGAINST THE BREECH BLOCK.
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 29barrelinstall

THE RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY COMES NEXT:
THE PLUG GOES IN FIRST, THEN THE SPRING. FINALLY INSERT THE GUIDE AND CAREFULLY COMPRESS THE SPRING AND PLACE THE GUIDE FLANGE (WITH A "U"-SHAPED LIP ONTO THE BARREL NEXT TO THE SHORT-RECOIL LEVER. DO NOT WORRY IF IT FLEXES ABOUT. THAT'S NORMAL!
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 30slidespring

AFTER INSERTING THE BARREL BUSHING AND CLIPPING IT INTO PLACE - FINALLY INSTALL THE SLIDE ONTO THE RECEIVER/FRAME, PUSHING CAREFULLY UNTIL THE HOLE FOR THE SLIDE-STOP LEVER LINES UP WITH THE SHORT-RECOIL LEVER HOLE.
PUSH IN THE SLIDE-STOP LEVER ABOUT 95%. YOU WILL SEE A SMALL RAISED SPUR ON IT. PUSH THE SLIDE SOME MORE UNTIL THE SMALL NOTCH IN IT IS ALIGNED WITH THE SPUR - THEN PRESS IN THE SLIDE-STOP LEVER THE REST OF THE WAY - AND RELEASE THE SLIDE.
Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 31slideinstall
OFF COURSE USE SOME LUBRICANTS TO EASE THE FLOW! WORK THE ACTION A FEW TIMES TO ENSURE IT'S ALL WORKING. THEN INSERT THE MAGAZINE EMPTY TO CHECK THE SLIDE STOP WORKS, THEN FULL TO CHECK THE ROUNDS ARE CYCLED EACH TIME YOU PULL THE SLIDE BACK.

IF IT DOES THEN CONGRATULATIONS - YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED ASSEMBLY OF YOUR MARUSHIN 1911 COLT .45
ALL THAT REMAINS IS TO LOAD THE CAPS INTO THE CARTRIDGES AND GIVE IT A TEST-FIRE, AND AS MODELGUN OWNERS WILL TELL YOU -THAT'S ANOTHER STORY!

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build 33coltcomplete

P.S. My magazine was already assembled when the kit arrived - so read the instructions page if yours is not!

P.P.S.
DIS-ASSEMBLY OF THE SLIDE & BARREL:
Thought this is worth mentioning - If you find that the Slide/Barrel hard to remove, it is most likely due to the recoil spring metal GUIDE jamming at an angle inside the slide
The solution: gently slap the side of the Slide with the flat of your hand. That should release it without further problems.

Kiwigunner
cheers

Last edited by kiwigunner on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 11:56 am

To say I enjoy it would be an understatement!
Man, I am envious of your skills annotating these photos and making them to an excellent photostory :-)
Keep your style!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Very Happy Fantastic work John, outstanding, Thank you very much for this

I can't imagine a clearer, easy to follow tutorial than this, a superb job Very Happy

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Sorry but I understood nothing.... Laughing Laughing

It's a joke, of course, great job Kiwi and now, I have to do the same thing with all my kits. Who can keep my children please???

Wink
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Absolutley superb i am very impressed the photo's are great.i have this model kit myself got the M29 as well might even be tempted to try to build mine with such a good step by step guide.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 2:21 am

I'm pleased that you have all found it useful & enjoyable. I'm so glad I don't have to translate it into Polish or French or Welsh! What a Face

lol!

If it is an inspiration to others to get more out of their Modelgun hobby - that's fantastic! I'm a relative newbie and have gained so much info fro the forum posts - thank you Claymore too. All the feedback is appreciated.

I sure am addicted now - and with this model in particular I've learnt to appreciate the genius of John M. Browning AND the skills of the Japanese Modelgun designers and manufacturers. Very Happy

Kiwigunner
P.S. The third part of this post - my 1911 Colt review (Smootik's challenge)- is posted here:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2717p15-challenge-review-your-1911-model#19970

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build   Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin 1911 Colt Kitset Build
Page 1 of 1