MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Would like to add (start) my collection....advice?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ekummel

Number of posts : 1
Location / Country : NoVA USA
Registration date : 2011-12-05

Would like to add (start) my collection....advice? Empty
PostSubject: Would like to add (start) my collection....advice?   Would like to add (start) my collection....advice? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 6:34 am

Just joined this group.
I have a Walther P.38 that looks to be made by Marushin. I've had this thing for over 30 years now and really enjoy the model.
I particularly like how everything works like it should in the actual gun...cartridge load and eject, especially if I load the cartridge with one of the plastic caps that no longer seem to be any good (after 30 years, it's no wonder)

I would like to get several others with similar action as this one but don't know enough about the model gun field to know what I'm getting myself into.

Specifically I am looking to add to this Walther P38 a Luger P08 and a 1911. Eventually I want to look at something in the Glock field and Sig Saur if available... I want the same "put it together" style of kit with full functionality and realism.

Anybody know where I should start looking? I've seen a P08 model on Amazon for about $95...but don't know if this will give me the level of realism I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Would like to add (start) my collection....advice?   Would like to add (start) my collection....advice? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 10:39 am

Hello ekummel, welcome to the Forum Very Happy

Marushin's P38 is a particularly nice modelgun. The beauty of these "Modelguns" is that they are, for the most part, accurate models of the Real thing, they strip and function as per their real counterparts unlike Airsoft guns and many of the dummy prop models such as Denix.

Personally, I enjoy firing my models but this can prove challenging sometimes as some models fire better than others. "Tuning" models for better performance can be challenging and enjoyable, but be aware it can be incredibly frustrating at times, as most of us have found out Smile

If you want realistic and accurate modelguns, you would be better buying Marushin, MGC, Tanaka, Craft Apple Works, Kokusai, Hartford, Tanio Koba products. These can be bought from a couple of dealers in Japan, one or two in Hong Kong, we have one dealer that can export modelguns here in the UK. You can also buy privately through the forum's "For Sale" category

Self build Kits are produced by Marushin, in both ABS and Zinc Alloy, Hartford also sell kits. Have a look at these sites for examples of what's available:

www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com

www.franckys-modelgun.com

Check out our Reviews category, many models are given honest and unbiased reviews by owners so you'll get both the good and bad reports there. If the particular model you're after isn't there, please don't hesitate to ask here as someone will have one.

30 year old caps will be well past their best by now, you could do with buying some new ones Wink

We'll look forwards to hearing from you

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Would like to add (start) my collection....advice?   Would like to add (start) my collection....advice? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Adding to what Cerwyn wrote, there are two directions for you, I think.

If you are after realism in look&feel, you might want to look for metal models. They usually do not fire caps, just allow cycling of dummy cartridges though. MGC manufactured P08, 1911 and P38 in metal. They were exported and sold under RMI label outside Japan. Marushin also continues to make metal P08.

If you prefer cap-firing action, with a slight disadvantage in material (ABS plastic, or HW heavyweight plastic), there are also many options. For 1911 I would suggest Tanio Koba GM7. It is expensive, but is the most reliable firer as far as I can say, and looks very good. Apart from that you can find an MGC 1911 that works very good too (and with brass cartridges, instead of plastic ones for Tanio Koba), or a Marushin one - see recent kit assembly instructions that are being posted by kiwigunner!
CAW also made a heavyweight plastic 1911 with excellent finish and outstanding quality. It is fairly expensive, but might pick your interest. I did not have a chance to compare it with Tanio Koba.

As for Parabellum, I think only MGC made a cap-firing model (ABS plastic) a long time ago. You can find my review in appropriate section.

Glock 17 and Sig P226 plastic models were manufactured by Tanaka. They are not very reliable though. There is a metal option for both, as Taiwanese company WaShan released a cap-firing metal versions. These are not really exported, and it's much harder to find them for purchase. Reliability gets mixed reviews.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would like to add (start) my collection....advice?   Would like to add (start) my collection....advice? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would like to add (start) my collection....advice?
Page 1 of 1