MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
napalm113

Number of posts : 23
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2012-03-25

new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications  Empty
PostSubject: new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications    new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 am

I have an extensive collection of semi auto rifles, An m1 Garand, m1 carbine, AK47, M14, AR15A2, an M4 mws, A4, semi auto xm177e2 replica, and a real Mk14 mod zero EBR. I want to use cap firing guns to fill the gaps in my collection where semi auto rifles would be redundant or illegal with short barrels.

Here are my legal questions,
1. can a cap firing m16 be modified to fire m200 blanks? Legally and from a safety perspective. I don't know how much pressure caps exert.

2. does any one know the legal distinction between a cap or blank gun and a real firearm? I want to make a blank firing mk18 cqb rifle. I want to know how much i need to modify the barrel to so that i don't have an unregistered short barreled rifle on hand. a full auto one would be nice too, but I'm not sure if a cap gun with a real upper receiver and modified barrel would be legal.

I also have technical questions

Does any one know what level of parts comparability exists between the Marushin m16's and real ar15s? I want to buy one and replace the pins and hand guards with real ones, as well as magazines, and possibly upper receiver.

what is the threading of the muzzle of marushin m16?
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications    new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 am

napalm113 wrote:
Here are my legal questions,
Please note that we are not lawyers :-)

The only modelguns that were capable of conversion to firing blanks were (I think) CMC Sten, MGC MP40 and MGC Sten. They were made of (thin) steel, and with additional safeguards they could withstand pressure of blank ammo.

Other models CANNOT work with blanks unless practically everything is replaced and rebuild with stronger parts, making the effort impractical. These models wear out and fall apart even with the very weak explosive (0.01g of red phosphorus) that caps use. No clue about pressure difference, but it's there and it's pretty large :-)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications    new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:39 am

Hello napalm, welcome to the forum.

I can only add to smootik's reply by saying that many, if not most cap-firing modelguns are manufactured to slightly different dimensions than their real counterparts. This is deliberate to make it impossible for real gun parts (i.e. the parts required to fire live ammunition) cannot be fitted.

This thread may be useful to you:

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
napalm113

Number of posts : 23
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2012-03-25

PostSubject: Re: new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications    new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:11 am

new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications  540951_10150635521100689_702045688_9635377_701796053_n

I took the teeth off of the bolt so that the recoil of the shell can push the bolt carrier back with out a gas tube.

here is the deal, if i make a blank firing car15, semi auto or other wise, and it is capable of cambering and firing live rounds with slight modification then it is considered a real gun. And if the distance from from the muzzle to the closed bolt face is under 16.1 inches (409mm) then it is an illegal unregistered short barred rifle.

I'm trying to modify a real ar15 gas system to make a recoil operated setup, so that i don't loose most of the BANG just to make the bolt go back.

here is my conundrum, A gun with a plugged barrel plugged to fire blanks is still a gun. But a gun that was designed from the ground up to fire blanks is not a gun.

Granted replacing the barrel is easy, while machining a new barrel that will fit a blank gun is difficult.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications    new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new to model guns, questions on legal issues and modifications
Page 1 of 1