MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

3d printing model guns...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
josh676
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 180
Location / Country : Australia
Registration date : 2012-05-14

3d printing model guns...  Empty
PostSubject: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 9:55 am

I've been looking into 3d printing, and it looks like it could be a way to make model guns... What do you guys think?

exciting technology?

3d printing model guns...  Medium
Back to top Go down
josh676
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 9:59 am

That is not my work by the way, just a CAD file and project I found online.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Absolutely!
This technology could bring us affordable modelguns, spare parts and possibility to customize all of that.
Maybe not in 5 years, but in longer term this will hopefuly allow to push hobby further and experiment with new models and mechanical design.

Similar trends happen in other modelling areas, scale modellers for years have made resin parts just to their liking.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 6:48 am

But I'm afraid Australia will be the first and only country that'll ban 3D printing among civilian simply because there're risks of using these to make real gun parts (without mentioning harmless toy gun parts) Mad ...

PS Seen what you'd been through on Shooting.com.au Josh...so I'm also afraid some Aussie shooters will go for the ban (Stockholm Syndrome in effect)...
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1238
Location / Country : London

PostSubject: Re: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Very exiting technology, but way to expensive at the moment.
Back to top Go down
josh676
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:33 am

jim wrote:
But I'm afraid Australia will be the first and only country that'll ban 3D printing among civilian simply because there're risks of using these to make real gun parts (without mentioning harmless toy gun parts) Mad ...

PS Seen what you'd been through on Shooting.com.au Josh...so I'm also afraid some Aussie shooters will go for the ban (Stockholm Syndrome in effect)...

Oh you saw that? I thought they went a bit over the top, I had a lot of fun meeting some Airsoft Practical Shooters in Thailand. Shooters in Australia need to unite, or forget about it...

I'm going to be doing some Glock Prototypes soon hopefully, so we'll see what kind of quality and durability we get!
Back to top Go down
walmic
walmic

Number of posts : 29
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2011-01-23

PostSubject: Re: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am

claymore wrote:
How expensive is for example to build this exemplar from the top?
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia

PostSubject: Re: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 6:06 am

walmic wrote:
claymore wrote:

First depends if you already own a 3D Printer beforehand or you buy a machine specially for this project...

Next step the Data (Technical pictures/renderings/measurements)...if you have it handy then you can save a lot of time & money: otherwise can be quite a headache...

Then what kind of material(s) will be used...plastic like this won't be overly expensive but if you want to use "liquid metal" for parts other than the frame then it'll be another matter (but please note don't expect anything too much for the durability of it)...

Then Labour Cost: won't be cheap either but if DIY then you can waive it yourself Laughing 

My wild guess: double the price of a Tanaka Glock modelgun at least...
Back to top Go down
walmic
walmic

Number of posts : 29
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2011-01-23

PostSubject: Re: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 2:09 pm

jim wrote:
walmic wrote:
claymore wrote:

First depends if you already own a 3D Printer beforehand or you buy a machine specially for this project...

Next step the Data (Technical pictures/renderings/measurements)...if you have it handy then you can save a lot of time & money: otherwise can be quite a headache...

Then what kind of material(s) will be used...plastic like this won't be overly expensive but if you want to use "liquid metal" for parts other than the frame then it'll be another matter (but please note don't expect anything too much for the durability of it)...

Then Labour Cost: won't be cheap either but if DIY then you can waive it yourself Laughing 

My wild guess: double the price of a Tanaka Glock modelgun at least...

Then probably my rearmament will have to wait a bit until it has become cheaper. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3d printing model guns...    3d printing model guns...  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3d printing model guns...
Page 1 of 1