MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 11:07 pm

So ehobbyasia just restocked a batch of Tanaka G17 and G18C model guns and I really wanna buy a G17 but I know quite a few have been seized before and I don't want to risk it unless I know for sure that it'll make it here. What are the chances that it'll get seized? Anyone from the U.S. order model guns from ehobbyasia before??
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 3:54 am

I don't recall ordering from there, but they will likely paint the muzzle orange. According to US law, that is all that is needed to make it legal.

Unfortunately, there is little oversight or consequences to an over officious customs agent. I have had many things arrive missing pieces and parts. Never a complete seizure, but plenty of headaches, unfortunately.

I don't believe the SpeedPost carrier they would use has any issues shipping model guns, unlike what I've heard lately about Royal Mail, TNT, etc when trying to source items from Europe.  Crying or Very sad 

Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 6:07 am

You have to tell Ehobby to help removing/covering all the Glock logos before shipping it to you...
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 12:32 pm

That is good advice from Jim. Trademarks could also be an issue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. How about the fact that the damn thing looks so real, I think it uses real Glock mags. I mean I think customs agents have seen enough airsoft GBB guns to easily tell them apart by how the magazine looks (and the inner barrel, and recoil spring tension) but a model gun? Damn.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 7:12 am

frenchyinFL wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. How about the fact that the damn thing looks so real, I think it uses real Glock mags. I mean I think customs agents have seen enough airsoft GBB guns to easily tell them apart by how the magazine looks (and the inner barrel, and recoil spring tension) but a model gun? Damn.

Well in fact Tanaka Glocks aren't as real as you expected and they make their magazines (real one won't fit: I tried)...also mechanism is quite different as well (unless US Customs decide to make a fuzz about this)...
Back to top Go down
Fiddycal

Number of posts : 8
Location / Country : Sacramento ,ca USA
Registration date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Hold on modelgun perfectionist real glock mags do fit, I got a 33 rd g18 mag on my g18 and regular g17 mags do fit they are actually cheaper then buying the replacement mags they sell on ehobbyasia I think it's like 60 or 70 for a spare mag and to buy a real mag is 25 to 30 bucks depending how much your local gun shop charges, I didn't have no issues with getting my g18 through customs all they did was cover the trademarks with glue and paint the barrel tip orange, the barrel is easy just remove barrel from slide after takedown and get some paint remover or acetone and put it on a cloth or small towel then wipe off the orange color should come rite off these are pretty close to a real glock I have 2 real Glocks a 27 and a 21 and the internal are actually Identical only diffrence is the rails that slides the top receiver together are a lil diffrent and the fact that the whole top slide is plastic, but everything like triggerbar connector are all there like a real glock, modelgun perfectionist maby you used wrong mags and not actual glock mags because real glock mags do fit try again
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 6:02 am

OK new member no worries I'll try again Tks!
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 3:45 pm

OK moment of truth...easy to tell which one is real by the base plate...

Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed 260220147853_zps25bbea75
Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed 260220147854_zps7a2e9a40

Result: the real mag (2nd Gen) can fit 90% into the G18 (with a bit of force) / 70% into G17 2nd Gen / 50% into G17 3rd Gen...which means there are tolerances so maybe genuine/aftermarket Glock mags can somehow fit into the Tanakas but won't be a very good option Neutral ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed   Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs  - advice needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tanaka Glock 17 and U.S. customs - advice needed
Page 1 of 1