MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin UZI Detonator Pins

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Empty
PostSubject: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:17 am

I have one of the older all metal Marushin UZI's and it was supplied already having been converted to fire P220 cartridges.
Now I understand that this conversion is meant to improve the firing operation of the gun but, to be honest, getting it to fire in full auto without jamming is really difficult and very frustrating!

I have a Marushin MP40 that fires absolutely faultlessly using the standard Marushin MP40/UZI 9mm rounds so I'm begining to wonder if the UZI might just fire as well with the standard rounds?

As far as I'm aware, the detonator pin is shortened to make it fire the P220 rounds, but is that the only modification done?

If it's a simple case of swapping pins I'd be keen to try it out. Francky or shazhib could get me a standard pin I'm sure, unless someone here has one spare to sell please?

Any information would be gratefully received please!

Thanks

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:18 am

Post by Phil_D

Hi cerwyn,
Yes its just the pin that converts them.

Sorry no spares but if you have trouble getting one let me know.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks Phil !

I'll check with Francky and shazhib but if anyone has a standard Marushin one going spare I'd be happy to buy it.

Thanks again

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:20 am

Post by Claymore

cerwyn, Francky has custom marushin det pins on his site however you will not get the uzi to fire very well on the marushin rounds. the uzi has a lot of small tweaks that need to be done.

1. dont swamp with oil but make sure you have all parts covered, remember the bolt goes over the chamber so oil it
2. the extractor wears or breaks at the end so does not always perform well.
3. the bolt face is a pain, it can break (one of mine just has) and that causes instant misfeed and whne it wears, which it does this also causes misfeed. custom steel is on the horizon.
4. the mag as in all models
the bolt carrier and recoil spring are heavy and strong, not tried it but maybe the recoil spring could be cut down and make it weaker and maybe the bolt cut be drilled to make lighter.
5. the rounds, with the uzi you need like brand new condition rounds and good seals or the gun will not function.
6. i am not convinced the ejector is the best in the world but i see no way of improving it, it does come lose so make sure it is tight and it can bend which causes problems, so make sure it is straight.

These are just some of the problems with this model, when it works its great but it does not take much to cause a problem.

hope this helps and i will keep you updated as i sort out how to get mine working more consistantly, but biggest think the rounds they need to be in tip top nick.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:21 am

Post by Phil_D

then that would explain why mine spewed out 25 rounds without a problem, the rounds were brand new !
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:21 am

Thanks Claymore!

All the rounds I have (the MGC P220's) are brand spanking new and even the ones fired for the first time have problems.
Jamming (stovepipes) are the most common and this can, and does, crush cartridges between the bolt carrier and ejection port.

I'll have a good look at the set up of the gun again.

The ejector claw looks fine, the spring works, the bolt face seems unmarked,

I do tend to over oil possibly, maybe that's gumming up the works? Perhaps a good wipe down first will help there.

I had a good read of your Review again today and willhave a look at the ejector. Kickback gave me a spare some time ago so maybe swapping that might help too.

Thanks for the advice as it's always very welcome!

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:22 am

Post by kickback

Cerwyn,

Hi Mate,as well as the parts that other forum members have stated,i have found the one thing that really helps the uzi function consistantley is shortening the recoil spring,just cut off the last 4 rings of the spring this takes off enough tension to allow the bolt to travel further rearwards to help with ejection and a slower return to help with miss feeds,it sounds to easy but i have found it works wonders.

Hope this helps mate

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:23 am

Post by Mark

As far as the bolt breakage is concerned, I am under the impression that the main problem is that the feed rib assy (lower part) is constantly "loose"due to the allen screw's tendency of backing out of the bolt. Ensuring that the allen screw is tight before firing is always a good idea!

Also, making sure that the detonator is tight is a good idea. As it has a tendency to loosen by itself...

I discovered that the bolt in my late Marushin (aluminum receiver) Uzi "locked up" after I tightened up the ejector and the bolts feed rib assy. Evidently, the ejector began rubbing up against the lower part of the bolt feed rib. This of course, added considerable friction and the bolt refused to shut completely too...

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:23 am

Thanks indeed once again.

Before I start cutting the recoil spring though, could you possibly give me the free length of your spring after cutting ?
The gun came from Jay at modelguns.co.uk originally and as his adverts usually say the guns have been pre-tuned and it had been converted to fire the MGC rounds I'm just wary the spring may have been cut already.

I'd hate to find the spring ending up too short!

I'm hoping to get enough free time this weekend to have a good close look at this UZI.

Thanks again Kickback, Claymore and Mark

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 am

Post by Phil_D

Cerwyn
I have 2 UZI's at home, one has a cut spring and the other doesn't, i will measure and post if no one beats me to it Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_smile
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:25 am

Post by Madmike

I too have an UZI here, but completly disassembled. I have it for over a year now and could not find the time to assemble it ... I should get it done now.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:25 am

Hiya Phil,

Great, thanks very much for that.
Even if somebody does beat you to it, I'll be interested to learn how much has been lopped off yours.

Also, if one of your UZI's is still set up for Marushin rounds, how do they compare? Is the modified one much better using MGC rounds?

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:26 am

Hiya MadMike,

Yes indeed you should!
Let's see which one of us gets a video of the UZI in full firing order on the forum first Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_lol

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:27 am

Post by Phil_D

Can't say for sure, the one i got from Kickback was set up for 220's but as i dont have any, it has never been fired, the one from Dartec had the original det and as i said further up the thread, this spewed out a whole mag with no problems using brand new carts Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_cool
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:27 am

I see, mine came set up already for the P220's but performance has deteriorated rapidly since the first magfull. Even using brand new carts leads to problems.

My thinking was that as my Marushin MP40 fires so reliably with Marushin carts it'd be worth a try.
Mind you I make sure my rounds are always thoroughly cleaned and polished before assembly and make sure they are lubed up properly (a lesson learned early on when using modelguns first) Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_biggrin
Reading back through Claymore's (and everybody else's) replies, both here on this thread and on the Review section suggests that better performance should be achievable from the UZI using the P220's.

I'm sure I've a little problem within the gun somewhere, be it ejector, bolt, spring...
It'll be a case of tweaking and trying.

As yours are set up for each type of round, there should (may well) be a difference in the recoil spring length so if you do have time would you be kind enough to measure both please?
Kickback advises cutting off 4 coils for the P220 setup, does that tally with yours?

Like I said before I'd hate to cut down an already shortened spring and bugger it up completely!

There's a link here somewhere to a Japanese video site of pfc guns firing. It's a really good one. It has a comparison between UZI's firing Marushin and P220's. Footage suggests that the P220's do in fact appear better, but obviously you can't tell enough from the short clip.
Both versions fire really well though!

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:28 am

Post by Phil_D

the unaltered one is 8 1/2 inches long, however the one from kickback is only 6.5 inches long !

4 turns of the spring = just over 3/4 inch.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:29 am

Post by Phil_D

Sorry for the short answer last night (visitors and drink Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_wink )

As you can see the 220 spring had 2 inches cut from it and when stripped for cleaning (to much oil for my liking) the pin in there was bent so it was never tried, the mag is also a genuine one that has been altered to take the 220 rounds too. I never got around to ordering any Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_redface

The other UZI was a unfired one when i got it and that was great on the first mag, as my tap & die tools have now been returned i will make a standard size det pin from stainless and see how the other UZI goes with standard rounds.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:29 am

Thank you Phil, that's very helpful mate.

I'm hoping to give mine a thorough looking at today, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 am

Post by kickback

Hi Cerwyn,Phil.D,

Can i please add at this point that the uzi i sold to Phil,the spring had already been cut when i purchased it,i personally would not cut off 2 inches as i think this would be too much,but 4 segments is what they actually recommend in the instructions of the Marushin uzi.

Cheers

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 am

Hiya Kickback,

I was hoping to hear from you ! Thanks very much, I had wondered if these springs had already been cut.
2 inches sounded a helluva lot to lop off so I was waiting for you to come back with your spring lengths before getting the snips out.

I know there won't be an exact and definative length for the spring but at least I'll know where to start from.

2 inches difference between two springs is a hell of a lot isn't it, I wonder if Marushin had used different spring strengths as well?

I'm looking forwards to trying mine out this pm,
Thanks again,

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:31 am

Post by ljerr2

I now have a couple of uzi's, one of which I have fired. I experimented with the marushin rounds, then double-capping the marushin rounds and then the MGC rounds.
I think the best I did with any Marushin combination was 4 carts fired without a jam. When I used the MGC rounds, I was able to fire 24 rounds consecutively without any type of misfire or jam. I have never had a model gun fire so well!
Anyway, I plan on measuring the springs (carrier and mag) as well as noting the feed lips on the mag for comparison in setting up my other model.
The carrier spring appears to have been UNCUT and measures 8.2 inches long, about 208mm.
The mag spring is about 220mm, or 8.7 inches.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:32 am

Post by Phil_D

Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_redface Sorry Kickback, i hope i didnt imply that you had cut the spring anywhere, i was calling my UZI's by supplier name to differeniate between the two.

Cheers
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:33 am

Post by Kickback

Hi Phil_D,

No problems mate i wasn't complaining Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_lol

Cheers

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:33 am

Post by Mark

The Marushin Uzi can and will fire off quite allot of the original Marushin cartridges if they are properly prepared and the gun is clean and lubricated. I have a short video of a fairly long burst from my Uzi firing the original Marushin mp40/Uzi cartridges that I may post. So, they can fire fairly effectively

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 am

Hiya Mark,

The video of your UZI is eagerly anticipated in that case! I'm looking forwards to it!

Hi ljerr2,

Thanks for the info. We got as far as basic stripping my UZI last night.
Recoil Spring measures 8.2" long so that matches yours too.

We couldn't find anything else obviously wrong anywhere. The allen screw holding the bolt to the carrier was tight, although we couldn't remove the bolt after taking the screw out. It's probably gummed up so that needs looking at.
The extractor appears to move freely on its' spring but until I can get the bolt off the carrier I won't know for certain.
I also need to check the angle of the ejector and I'm scrolling through the English Instruction manual I bought off Kickback ages ago which will help a lot too.

I'll keep you all posted with progress. With any luck, I might even get a video of it rattling off a mag full!

Thanks for all your help guys

Cerwyn
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI Detonator Pins   Marushin UZI Detonator Pins Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin UZI Detonator Pins
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next