MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?

Go down 
+3
Ozguns
Cerwyn
pedal2metal
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

Number of posts : 53
Location / Country : PA, USA
Registration date : 2015-07-01

Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Empty
PostSubject: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Were the pen & ink illustrations drawn by Tanio Kobayashi, the father of the replica gun movement? I noticed on the bottom of the "Man from UNCLE" illustration (used for my avatar) the name Kobayashi, but I can not make out the first initial of the name.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 10:33 am

Good question  Very Happy

There's a good chance I'd suppose that T Kobayashi produced the artwork as well as Exploded Diagrams of his designs. How does the signature on your artwork compare to the original MGC68 MP40 diagram here ?

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 12:42 pm

Looks a little different.

This is from my 1981/1982 catalog.

Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? DSCF3158%202%20Custom_zpsfu9vabpm

And the signature Cerwyn referred to.

Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? IMG1
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks Oz' (it's good to hear from you again Very Happy)

Perhaps one of our Japanese members, HIGUsan for example, could enlighten us. I know he has a wealth of knowledge re Japanese Modelgun history.

Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Not a problem Cerwyn. I'm actually here daily but don't post much, although I edited my above post 3 times LOL! Smile

I also replied to pedal2metal's other post a couple of days ago when I entered his two links to his catalogues which he couldn't post, but I think you missed them.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 1:34 pm

I did indeed miss the Links, thanks for letting me know they're up. The catalogues are quite something aren't they? Lavishly Illustrated doesn't come close does it, Really nicely done.

There's one modelgun on there that sadly never did go into production by MGC. The L1A1 SLR or FN FAL. I've seen a line drawing of it on an old MGC catalogue before. What a shame it was never produced.

It's great to know you're still there Oz', thanks for your continuing support mate Wink  

SunHill999 likes this post

Back to top Go down
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 2:35 pm

I hate to say this, but the last name signature sure looks darn close to the line drawing to me! I'm not sure about the 'Id' initials though.... hummm. Well, either way, I grew up staring at these illustrations in the catalogs to the point it influenced me to become a textbook illustrator. I had to get a new copy of every catalog when they came out; I think I had started around 1979, I just wish I had them all now, but I had them pretty well worn out from thumbing through them! LOL My latest auction win of a mint 86/87 edition is supposed to show up Monday along w/ a M76 (the gun I longed for forever besides the Mp40), so I'll get pics of all 40 pgs!
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 2:09 am

I think the surnames are most definitely the same, but the signatures are different. Maybe different family members.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 11:18 am

Regarding the question about MGC'S Illustrator, I've received the following info from Japan

More than one employee named Kobayashi worked for MGC at the time.
Mr. Tazo Kobayashi (Tanio Kobayashi) was called “Hon-Koba-san” or ”Hige-Koba-san”.
Hon-Koba means authentic-Kobayashi.
Hige-Koba means Kobayashi with mustache.

Mr. Hirotaka Kobayashi was called “Ira-Koba-san”.
It means Illustrator Kobayashi. He drew lots of pictures of guns and movies for MGC and other publications. (see link to some of his Son's work below)
Unfortunately he passed away in middle of 1990s

SunHill999 likes this post

Back to top Go down
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 12:37 pm

That is some very interesting information; that's awesome we got an answer to this question! His son's work is quite impressive too!

[/quote]
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

Number of posts : 175
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2013-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 5:00 pm

You guys and your attention to details never cease to impress me!!!! Thanks for these crazy infos!
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Cerwyn must be a private investigator :-)
I love when those tidbits of information get discovered and make us all go "aaah!"
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 3:15 pm

smootik wrote:
Cerwyn must be a private investigator :-)
I love when those tidbits of information get discovered and make us all go "aaah!"

I can't claim credit here, I have a very helpful fountain of knowledge in Japan to whom I am very grateful  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 10:52 pm

That amazing topic inspired me to do my own box art with a slight twist.
I wanna share them, but of course, if this off-topic is inappropriate, I'd delete the post.
Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Tumblr_nsj0lhMk4Z1rpidqno2_540
Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Tumblr_nsj0lhMk4Z1rpidqno1_540
Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Tumblr_nsj0lhMk4Z1rpidqno3_540
Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Tumblr_nsj0lhMk4Z1rpidqno4_r1_540

Last edited by cosmitron on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Stage Armament Solutions likes this post

Back to top Go down
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:59 am

Looks awesome, cosmitron! I love the colors
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 2:04 am

Well done. Very nice work.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 8:47 am

Very impressive work cosmitron, well done  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 9:59 am

Look great, i especially like the kokusai M19 one
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 12:50 am

Thank you so much guys!
Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

Number of posts : 165
Location / Country : Sweden.
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 6:59 am

Really nice indeed! How did you do them if I may ask? Would you mind if I use on as my screensaver by the way? ( the 357 python one!)

really cool Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 7:39 am

Thank you so much! I drew them - i'm a concept artist for video games and movies, but also used to work for comic books - and I'm very honored by your request. Please feel free to use it as you wish (as long as there's no money involved Wink )
Here's a link for the screen size version: http://orig00.deviantart.net/4305/f/2015/217/4/5/kokusai_colt_python_box_art_by_aldgerrelpa-d94eds6.jpg
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 4:34 pm

I like the style :-) Style reminds me of anime, like "Space Adventure Cobra", "Cowboy Bebop" or such.
Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 4:50 pm

smootik wrote:
I like the style :-) Style reminds me of anime, like "Space Adventure Cobra", "Cowboy Bebop" or such.
"Space Adventure Cobra" is my "Star Wars". So yeah spot on my friend!
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Please do more :-)
Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

Number of posts : 165
Location / Country : Sweden.
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 7:55 am

cosmitron wrote:
Thank you so much! I drew them - i'm a concept artist for video games and movies, but also used to work for comic books - and I'm very honored by your request. Please feel free to use it as you wish (as long as there's no money involved Wink )
Here's a link for the screen size version: http://orig00.deviantart.net/4305/f/2015/217/4/5/kokusai_colt_python_box_art_by_aldgerrelpa-d94eds6.jpg

You are? Thats awesome! Trying to be a concept artist myself actually! Thanks for letting me use it! Wont sell it or anything Wink Nice to meet another Space adventure cobra fan aswell!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?   Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vintage RMI MGC Collectors Armoury catalog artwork done by?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next