MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hudson AK not chambering

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
veektohr

Number of posts : 83
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2016-02-18

Hudson AK not chambering Empty
PostSubject: Hudson AK not chambering   Hudson AK not chambering Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi, I just got my hands on a used Hudson AK47 with a few cartridges (old and new model), but it seems that the rounds wont chamber fully. I've only cycled them manually, but is the bolt supposed to slide forward completely? As it is, it stops with maybe a centimeter of the cartridge showing. Again, I haven't been able to try actually firing it, I was wondering if anybody had encountered this before.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Hudson AK not chambering   Hudson AK not chambering Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi veektor,

The bolt should close all the way when a round is chambered.

Have you checked the chamber for any obstruction or some foreign object lodged inside?

Have you tried pushing the cartridge into the chamber manually? This should be done by assembling the cartridge using used caps, not live ones. Push the piston down to the bottom of the cartridge. Will it enter the chamber correctly?

If not, then:
As you have a mixture of cartridges, they may be the incorrect type for your model. If my memory serves me correctly, Hudson produced 2, possibly 3 different cartridges. I believe they all used 2 caps per cartridge. Have the cartridges been loaded correctly?

The detonator pin may be of incorrect length if it is not the original factory pin. Although it's difficult to imagine why anyone would install a pin 1 cm too long. Perhaps a previous owner was attempting to use single cap loads and made a longer pin?

Please let us know what you find. Photos would be very helpful too.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson AK not chambering   Hudson AK not chambering Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 1:04 pm

Back to top Go down
veektohr

Number of posts : 83
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Hudson AK not chambering   Hudson AK not chambering Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 1:07 am

Thanks for the reply, Cerwyn. Here are some pictures.

Hudson AK not chambering MZiYtzi

I have these two types of cartridge. Only one of the top version, but five of the bottom.

Hudson AK not chambering 9tm1Fmb

Now that I'm really examining them, I can see that the holes at the end of the rounds are different diameters. In fact I just tried the one at the top of my previous photo (early tipe) and it chambered and ejected just fine. Too bad I only have one of them : /

I guess the det pin is too large for the other type. Is it possible to have a det pin that would fire both rounds?

For posterity, here is how far the bolt would shut on the later-type cart.

Hudson AK not chambering FBiet69
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson AK not chambering   Hudson AK not chambering Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 11:04 am

Hi veektohr,

Thanks for sending your photos. They've proved to be very helpful.

One thing to try would be making a Det Pin suitable for the 5 later type cartridges. With luck, hopefully a Forum member that has a late version can provide us with Pin dimensions.

Alternatively measure the head space of the early cartridge sitting in the chamber then make a pin that'll give the same head space using the later cartridges.
Don't forget to load the cartridges with two used caps so the cartridge settles at the correct height / depth.

I hope this helps
Keep us posted please ?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hudson AK not chambering   Hudson AK not chambering Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hudson AK not chambering
Page 1 of 1