MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Empty
PostSubject: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:52 pm

*** Originally posted by figaro ***

I have just bought an MP40 model gun from the UK in a private purchase and wish to ship this to the US. Has anyone had any bad experiences with this, or have any helpful advice.
I was going to simply mail it in a cardboard box, with the customs info marking it as a "movie prop" of low $value.
The modelgun is assembled (and unboxed) and full metal, and actually doesn't appear to have any makers marking on it that denotes it a model/replica/cap gun. The seller says that he has owned it for over twenty years amd that it is not an MGC68.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Jesse.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:53 pm

*** Originally posted by metradio ***

If you are going to have any problems it will be at the UK end. Our national mail carrier Royal Mail are not accepting packages containing anything that looks like a firearm. Why tell them you say? well with a modelgun worth around $700-$800 you cannot insure it without declaring what it is.
Claymore and I did a deal a while ago for a replica Sterling, and I contacted Royal Mail as to the best method of sending it - they refused to carry it. In the end I delivered it in person.
You (or your seller) could try FEDEX, UPS etc in the UK, but I suspect they will have the same terms and conditions as Royal Mail..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:53 pm

*** Originally posted by claymore ***

metradio, hello mate how are things. regarding the royal mail and the carriage of guns, yes they did have a problem with it and were refusing to deliver but they have now been told that they have no case (by their own governing body) and now have to accept firearms for delivery. finally good news for us enthusiasts and someone with common sense in the government, lets hope that holds out for these other issues we face.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:54 pm

*** Originally posted by doc ***

Hi Jessie and chaps, you are correct that the royal mail in the UK now has to accept replica guns as there is nothing in their terms that forbids replicas.
However for shipping to the US the Royal mail ARE allowed to refuse to transport a replica gun on their aircraft. This comes from the aircraft companies themselves .
Certain airlines if they detect guns will return the item to you.
However if you use Parcelforce you will most likely be ok.

With regards to value, if you put low dollar value then that is the amount you will be able to claim if the thing gets lost etc.
Make sure the UK seller paints the muzzle red as US customs can be funny about that.
There are no makers marks on any of the MP40s that US customs worry about.
I have heard the main Trademark US customs are worried about is H&K.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:54 pm

*** Originally posted by mlin ***

figaro wrote:
I have just bought an MP40 model gun from the UK in a private purchase and wish to ship this to the US. Has anyone had any bad experiences with this, or have any helpful advice.
I was going to simply mail it in a cardboard box, with the customs info marking it as a "movie prop" of low $value.
The modelgun is assembled (and unboxed) and full metal, and actually doesn't appear to have any makers marking on it that denotes it a model/replica/cap gun. The seller says that he has owned it for over twenty years amd that it is not an MGC68.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Jesse.
Jesse,
I just received all metal Hudson M14 mailed from Hong Kong to United States without any problem. The model gun worth more than $750. The company mailed it claim the full value on Custom form and put TOY as description of the package. My package was never opened by US Custom and no import duty was charged.

However, flash hider was painted in bright orange/red color. US law requires toy gun to paint 3/4" (if I remember correctly) in the tip of barrel/flesh hider. It's at your own risk if they open your package and may confiscate the gun without clear identification of toy gun.

I suggest you do so using hobby paint (one coat of white as base and then bright red/orange color of your choice) and it may peel off if rubbing with hobby paint thinner (although it's not recommended Twisted Evil ).
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks Guys,

That's some great and very helpful info. I think it should work out fine, I shall let you know if I learn anything new.

This site rocks!

Jesse.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm

*** Originally posted by dartec ***

Hi just my two pence worth:

I use Interparcel.com they are very competative and in most case cheaper than Royal Mail. I have started to sedn all my stuff vai themas I now get a 5% discount as a returning customer. They use ParcelForce, DHL and probaly others.

The price includes collection and insurence which can be increased if required.

Regards
Ray
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

claymore wrote:
metradio, hello mate how are things. regarding the royal mail and the carriage of guns, yes they did have a problem with it and were refusing to deliver but they have now been told that they have no case (by their own governing body) and now have to accept firearms for delivery....

Fine thanks Claymore, hope you and the wife are well. How did you hear about Royal Mail's change of heart on (replica) firearms
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:56 pm

*** Originally posted by claymore ***

Hi mike, glad to hear from you. it was gunmart i think that i saw the article saying the PO had to now deliver guns, its the only mag i get on a regular basis so i think it was in that if not then it was sporting gun.

Wouldnt mind seeing that MP40 you have at some stage i recently picked up a metal nakata converted to fire marushin rounds, if we have a look at them both we might be able to see if yours is a nakata.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Found this page on the subject:

www.postcomm.gov.uk/bloody-long-winded-url/policy-and-consultations/some-heavy-duty-shit-here/consultations/etc-etc-etc/firearms--transporting-firearms-by-post/certainly-pissed-off-royal-mail.html

OK Mark, would be interesting to get together and compare MP40's..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:57 pm

*** Originally posted by needsmoremgs ***

Just to let you know that the US side is just as bad on accepting these things. The number of shipments held/confiscated is insane, especially at several ports that shall remain unnamed.

Most of them are relased through appeals but it is so not worth it. You are always taking a chance with shipping something that realistic beyond borders.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Thank you for all the advice, guys. The MP40 cleared US customs and has arrived safe and sound in Los Angeles.
We stripped it down, painted the barrel tip orange and declared it a toy.
Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

*** Originally posted by wiseguy ***

I, too, have a little leeriness in buying a model gun from overseas because I fear it won't get recieved stateside. I live in Texas and am pretty confident it'll get here okay (as Texas is one of the most pro-gun states in the US), but am unsure about how it'll be handled beyond the lone-star state. Slightly off topic, but has anyone in the US had good experience receiving guns from modelguns.co.uk? They've got a lot of stuff I like. Thanks,
"Wiseguy".
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

*** Originally posted by mark ***

Hi Wiseguy,

Welcome to the forums! Actually, customs is the only federal/local "problem" that you need to worry about. I have ordered many modelguns from many countries sofar with only one modelgun lost to customs....So, if the barrels are properly marked and their registered trademarks are covered (or removed) before they are imported then, you should be ok...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:58 pm

*** Originally posted by wiseguy ***

Quote :
So, if the barrels are properly marked and their registered trademarks are covered (or removed) before they are imported then, you should be ok...

Therin lies the problem. I LOVE trademarks. I've been pretty lucky, recently, though. Have you had any guns with their trademarks? I'd love to get a gun and keep trademarks without seizure... would putty be the answer?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.   Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shipping a model gun from the UK to the US.
Page 1 of 1