MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Greetings and Questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
blast335

Number of posts : 19
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2020-02-19

Greetings and Questions Empty
PostSubject: Greetings and Questions   Greetings and Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 am

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself and to ask if anyone would be willing to give a total newbie some guidance. I don't even know what questions I need to be asking so I guess that'd be a good place to start.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Greetings and Questions   Greetings and Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 4:37 pm

Hello blast335 and welcome to the Forum!

It would be a pleasure to help all newcomers to this great hobby. How can we help? What would you like to know?

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Greetings and Questions   Greetings and Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 6:05 pm

Hi and welcome Blast335 there is so much on here, just have a good look round and see what grabs you !! Smile
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings and Questions   Greetings and Questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 12:47 pm

Welcome to the forum!!!

There is a lot of great information here about the hobby and a lot of great members who can answer probably any question you may have!

Have you bought your first modelgun?
Back to top Go down
blast335

Number of posts : 19
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2020-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings and Questions   Greetings and Questions Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 7:01 pm

ljerr2 wrote:
Welcome to the forum!!!

There is a lot of great information here about the hobby and a lot of great members who can answer probably any question you may have!

Have you bought your first modelgun?

Sorry for being absent for so long, the college semester got out of hand quite quickly, and ironically covid-19 actually increased my workload.

Unfortunately I have not bought my first model gun. I would absolutely love to but as a full time student I don't have much money to spare.

One of my big questions is regarding the cartridges. Why are there so many moving parts? What is accomplished by having them?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Greetings and Questions   Greetings and Questions Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 10:36 am

The Cartridge is the "heart" of a firing modelgun. The power and energy needed to cycle a modelgun is provided by the cartridge. Blowback pressure is all contained within the cartridge hence the need for an internal pin to ignite the cap and a moving piston and seal.

I hope this helps a little! 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings and Questions   Greetings and Questions Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 12:56 pm

I'll add to what Cerwyn said.

In terms of a modelgun, if it is a revolver, bolt action, shotgun, etc - you don't need any complicated cartridges because they are not semi-auto or automatic. You'll find the more complex carts with s/a's and autos.

In a real s/a firearm, the blowback of the action is created because of the pressure behind the actual projectile before it exits the barrel. Obviously, there are no projectiles with modelguns - so there is basically zero pressure to operate the slide.

This is where the cartridge design comes in. The cap ignition creates the movement within the cartridge that transfers to the fixed pin in the barrel. Since the pin is fixed, the cartridge must be driven rearward against the slide, thus creating the blowback to cycle the action.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings and Questions   Greetings and Questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings and Questions
Page 1 of 1